The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 20, 2007, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to ukumpire
Smile Balls!

Something a little away from the Slots! But a subject that has begun to Baffle me somewhat:
Why are there so many different kinds of softballs that state the same thing?
Most, if not all balls are Max 375lbs and then are .47 or .44 COR. Taking .44 COR out of this question.
Why then do the .47 COR's all vary in feel and playing ability.
Do not think it is right to name brands on this thread (Someone over there may sue my Arse! ), but all brands have different codes, and although they all say 'Leather' some feel more rubbery than others and the players can feel the difference 'at bat' or when pitching.
Just Curiuos

If we have someone here from the maufacturing side, I would be keen to hear from them via e-mail, otherwise general feedback will be good on this thread.
Old Fri Sep 21, 2007, 06:53am
Official Forum Member

It's called "free enterprise".

The sanctioning bodies set specifications a ball must meet to be approved by that body. As long as the manufacturer meets those standards, they're free to produce and market their product. It's no different than the bats, gloves, bases, pitcher's plate, etc.
Old Fri Sep 21, 2007, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to ukumpire
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
It's called "free enterprise".

The sanctioning bodies set specifications a ball must meet to be approved by that body. As long as the manufacturer meets those standards, they're free to produce and market their product. It's no different than the bats, gloves, bases, pitcher's plate, etc.
Sure I live in England, not Cuba!

But in England we have something called 'Trading Standards' and if something that states e.g. 25lbs (12.5kgs) then that is what I expect to have.

So for Softballs to state "Max 375lbs" ".44COR" then I expect the same consistency from them.

Is it that balls may be up a Max of 375lbs, so many are a lesser compression, and they can manufacture them at whatever compression they wish to, up to a max of 375?
Old Fri Sep 21, 2007, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukumpire
Sure I live in England, not Cuba!

But in England we have something called 'Trading Standards' and if something that states e.g. 25lbs (12.5kgs) then that is what I expect to have.

So for Softballs to state "Max 375lbs" ".44COR" then I expect the same consistency from them.

Is it that balls may be up a Max of 375lbs, so many are a lesser compression, and they can manufacture them at whatever compression they wish to, up to a max of 375?
A couple of years ago, these standards were adjusted BY asa. It is no .44COR, but .440. Why? Because the manufacturers were making them at .449, still not .45 so they were still technically .44COR.

Not all softball sanctioning bodies in the US operate under the same spec or restrictions.

Same with compression. It is 375.0. The manufacturers did not deny the measures as they were technically within the confines of the specs.