The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Balls! (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/38364-balls.html)

ukumpire Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:07pm

Balls!

Something a little away from the Slots! But a subject that has begun to Baffle me somewhat:
Why are there so many different kinds of softballs that state the same thing?
Most, if not all balls are Max 375lbs and then are .47 or .44 COR. Taking .44 COR out of this question.
Why then do the .47 COR's all vary in feel and playing ability.
Do not think it is right to name brands on this thread (Someone over there may sue my Arse!;) ), but all brands have different codes, and although they all say 'Leather' some feel more rubbery than others and the players can feel the difference 'at bat' or when pitching.
Just Curiuos :rolleyes:

If we have someone here from the maufacturing side, I would be keen to hear from them via e-mail, otherwise general feedback will be good on this thread.

IRISHMAFIA Fri Sep 21, 2007 06:53am

It's called "free enterprise". :D

The sanctioning bodies set specifications a ball must meet to be approved by that body. As long as the manufacturer meets those standards, they're free to produce and market their product. It's no different than the bats, gloves, bases, pitcher's plate, etc.

ukumpire Fri Sep 21, 2007 08:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
It's called "free enterprise". :D

The sanctioning bodies set specifications a ball must meet to be approved by that body. As long as the manufacturer meets those standards, they're free to produce and market their product. It's no different than the bats, gloves, bases, pitcher's plate, etc.

Sure I live in England, not Cuba! :rolleyes:

But in England we have something called 'Trading Standards' and if something that states e.g. 25lbs (12.5kgs) then that is what I expect to have.

So for Softballs to state "Max 375lbs" ".44COR" then I expect the same consistency from them.

Is it that balls may be up a Max of 375lbs, so many are a lesser compression, and they can manufacture them at whatever compression they wish to, up to a max of 375?

IRISHMAFIA Fri Sep 21, 2007 02:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ukumpire
Sure I live in England, not Cuba! :rolleyes:

But in England we have something called 'Trading Standards' and if something that states e.g. 25lbs (12.5kgs) then that is what I expect to have.

So for Softballs to state "Max 375lbs" ".44COR" then I expect the same consistency from them.

Is it that balls may be up a Max of 375lbs, so many are a lesser compression, and they can manufacture them at whatever compression they wish to, up to a max of 375?

A couple of years ago, these standards were adjusted BY asa. It is no .44COR, but .440. Why? Because the manufacturers were making them at .449, still not .45 so they were still technically .44COR.

Not all softball sanctioning bodies in the US operate under the same spec or restrictions.

Same with compression. It is 375.0. The manufacturers did not deny the measures as they were technically within the confines of the specs.