Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 01, 2007, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Thanks for the comments.

I agree the issue should never have been brought up in the first place at a plate meeting. He had a fairly lengthy plate speech, but this was the only error in it; he just said more than needed to be said about several other things, too. (JMO)

I chose to keep quiet since the "harm" would be minor and even unlikely to come up, whereas a disagreement between umpires at the plate meeting would damage our crediblity as a team.

And, as I said, he called a very good game.
And how would your credibility as a team look if it did come up and your partner wasn't going to allow the runner? Would you then go and have a talk to him? What are you going to tell the coach?

"Well, coach, I knew that he explained the rule wrong before but I didn't want to say anything."

That will really help your credibilty. Or how about the next day when this coach comes out to argue that the other team can't use a CR because the umpires yesterday told us that that was the rule. Now how is your credibilty with that coach or with the other umpiring crew who has to deal with the problem you caused.

If your partner is going to be explaining rules at a plate meeting then you better be sure that he is giving the correct information. If you don't want to do it at the meeting then you need to pull him aside, get things straight before the game starts and make sure both coaches know what the correct rule should be.

Of course the real simple solution to all of this is don't conduct a rules clinic during your pre-game.
Old Wed Aug 01, 2007, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsf23
And how would your credibility as a team look if it did come up and your partner wasn't going to allow the runner? Would you then go and have a talk to him? What are you going to tell the coach?

"Well, coach, I knew that he explained the rule wrong before but I didn't want to say anything."

That will really help your credibilty. Or how about the next day when this coach comes out to argue that the other team can't use a CR because the umpires yesterday told us that that was the rule. Now how is your credibilty with that coach or with the other umpiring crew who has to deal with the problem you caused.

If your partner is going to be explaining rules at a plate meeting then you better be sure that he is giving the correct information. If you don't want to do it at the meeting then you need to pull him aside, get things straight before the game starts and make sure both coaches know what the correct rule should be.

Of course the real simple solution to all of this is don't conduct a rules clinic during your pre-game.
First of all, I was interested in feedback on whether keeping silent was what I SHOULD have done; the followup was only to explain why I didn't speak up. Thanks for the comments.

As to stepping in as BU on a lineup card discussion between the PU and coach, I don't think so. Obviously, if it came up in the game, the rule as he explained it would have been enforced, unless the coach chose to protest. Since neither expressed any disagreement at the plate meeting, that was highly unlikely.

I agree the entire mini-rules clinic should not have been conducted at the plate meeting. However, note that if it hadn't been discussed, then he still would have enforced the CR rule during the game as he apparently understood it. So a "proper" plate meeting would have had exactly the same result as me keeping silent on the issue.
Old Wed Aug 01, 2007, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
BTW, Tom, did you discuss the incorrect rule interpretation with the PU after the game? Did the coaches leave the field with an incorrect idea of how the CR rule should apply?

Just wondering what happened during the followup.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Wed Aug 01, 2007, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The ASA interp comes from RS 20.
Thanks, Tom....I thought it was you that had the ASA rules from the CD that you could easily cut and paste.

I have a few pictures from the tournament in Park City...are you still adding stuff to the eteamz umpire site or has it become too much of a hassle since the "upgrades"?????
Old Wed Aug 01, 2007, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue
BTW, Tom, did you discuss the incorrect rule interpretation with the PU after the game?
No, I intended to, but forgot about it until I was driving home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue
Did the coaches leave the field with an incorrect idea of how the CR rule should apply?
Unfortunately, probably yes.
Old Wed Aug 01, 2007, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
Thanks, Tom....I thought it was you that had the ASA rules from the CD that you could easily cut and paste.
Yeah, the CD rule book is really nice. Unfortunately, the pdf version of the case book is still protected (Adobe reader will not copy selected text).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
I have a few pictures from the tournament in Park City...are you still adding stuff to the eteamz umpire site or has it become too much of a hassle since the "upgrades"?????
Go ahead and email them to me. I do occasionally log in over there.

The rules board is so quiet you can almost hear the crickets and see the dust rise from the web page when to go to the site. I wonder what the owners of the site think about that.
Old Wed Aug 01, 2007, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
First of all, I was interested in feedback on whether keeping silent was what I SHOULD have done; the followup was only to explain why I didn't speak up. Thanks for the comments.

As to stepping in as BU on a lineup card discussion between the PU and coach, I don't think so. Obviously, if it came up in the game, the rule as he explained it would have been enforced, unless the coach chose to protest. Since neither expressed any disagreement at the plate meeting, that was highly unlikely.

I agree the entire mini-rules clinic should not have been conducted at the plate meeting. However, note that if it hadn't been discussed, then he still would have enforced the CR rule during the game as he apparently understood it. So a "proper" plate meeting would have had exactly the same result as me keeping silent on the issue.
So you would knowingly let an incorrect rules interp. stand because the coaches didn't protest it or it wouldn't "look good"?

I'm sorry but I think that that makes you look far worse as a crew than getting together and making sure you both understand rule.

Now you have two coaches who think that this is the rule. Next game when the rule is applied correctly and they protest and get shot down how is your association going to look? You have some umpires making one ruling and other umpires making a completely different ruling.

I agree with you on not stepping in on his plate conversation, and I wouldn't have either, but as soon as the meeting was over, I would have gotten with him and made sure that we had the rule correct and that the coaches had it correct also. That's just my opinion.
Old Wed Aug 01, 2007, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsf23
So you would knowingly let an incorrect rules interp. stand because the coaches didn't protest it or it wouldn't "look good"?
Your adding words that I did not say.

I would not correct him at the plate since, worst case, he strongly believes what he just said and does not accept my correction. Nothing good can come from this.

I would not intervene during the game since - think about it - where am I when this CR discussion with the coach is going on? I'm in position somewhere 60+ feet away. I have no idea what is being discussed, and even if I suspect it MAY be about a CR, I'm not sprinting across the field with a "wait a minute... let me check that card..." THAT ain't happening!

I agree I probably should have mentioned it to him during the top of the 1st warmup pitches.
Old Wed Aug 01, 2007, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to charliej47 Send a message via MSN to charliej47 Send a message via Yahoo to charliej47
I was called in to be the BU on a 14U ASA FP game and the PU misapplied the CR rule. I found out about it after it happened and I tried to discuss it with him and he insisted he was correct and would not talk about it.

Both him and the UIC were incorrect so I went home after the games and double checked the CR rule to make sure I ws correct so that the next time I work with them I 'll have it available and will have it printed and in my pocket.
Old Thu Aug 02, 2007, 03:10am
Official Forum Member

RANT ON

Is it just me, or am I expecting too much by expecting every umpire to understand the CR rule and the Flex/DP?

By every I don't literally mean every, but for pity's sake if we have folks working in championship play, those rules should be as second nature to us as the infield fly rule. They are NOT that difficult, and, yes, we have umpires up here who don't get one, or both, messed up.

I agree with a previous poster: the plate meeting is not the place for a rules clinic. A plate meeting lasting much over a minute is too long. Hi, I'm John, hi hi hi hi hi while shaking hands, coach, your lineup please...any changes? good. Coach, you're lineup please...any changes...quickly cover any quirky ground rules. Hustle on and off the field. Keep a foot in the batter's box on plain vanilla balls and strikes. Have fun. Have a great game everyone.

Everybody knows the freaking run rules and time limits. If you have to tell them you are in charge, you're not doing your job as an umpire. Why even waste time telling coaches that all changes come through you? If they don't know that, they deserve the consequences of unannounced/illegal subs.

RANT OFF
Old Thu Aug 02, 2007, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Why do you want to know all the positions on the line-up?

Turned in batting lineup today, I had already noted Pitcher, Catcher, Flex, and DP. PU wanted me to write in rest of of positions. I complied, but why did he ask me to?

With the DP listed in the line-up, any of the 10 players listed can play any of the 9 defensive positions. I might turn in a lineup with batter in the two hole listed as playing SS and decide to sit her on the bench and have DP play in her place the top of the first inning.

Even when I am not using the DP, I still don't understand why you want me to write down defensive positions, other than the pitcher and the catcher.
Old Thu Aug 02, 2007, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Tom,

You are the man in your area, just as all of the rest of you vets are in your area. We see you doing the championships, the high school playoffs, and even the NCAA games. Being a guru can be a burden.

If I'm at a plate conference with you and your partner and he explains something wrong and you don't say anything, then I assume I am wrong and go tell my co-coaches we misunderstood the rule. "The BLUES just told me at the plate conference we have been incorrectly using the CR."

Later, when I follow the incorrect CR rules, and the umps call me on it, I'm going to say, "but Tom said........"

In your sitch, I will leave it to you to decide if you should correct the other ump at the conference, but you should definitely get it corrected in his mind and the coaches mind at your earliest opportunity.
Old Thu Aug 02, 2007, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reccer
Later, when I follow the incorrect CR rules, and the umps call me on it, I'm going to say, "but Tom said........"

In your sitch, I will leave it to you to decide if you should correct the other ump at the conference, but you should definitely get it corrected in his mind and the coaches mind at your earliest opportunity.

All the more reason why rules shouldn't be discussed at the pre-game. The purpose of this meeting is not for rules discussion of any kind. If you go to page 209 in the ASA Umpire's Manual, it outlines what should be covered in the pre-game meeting.
Old Thu Aug 02, 2007, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones
Everybody knows the freaking run rules and time limits. If you have to tell them you are in charge, you're not doing your job as an umpire.
I agree with 90% of what you said.

But in my area, I HAVE to remind people of the run rules and/or time limits. Everyone around here has made up their own rules, but everyone plays games in other towns. 5-run rule here, 6-run rule 1 1/2 miles north of here, no run rule in the last inning over there... 75 minutes here, 70 there, no limit over that-a-way... no new inning if a team is up by the run rule with less than X minutes to go here, never heard of that over there.

THOSE are the rules I mention in this "league" (term applied loosely) just for clarity's sake. None other.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Aug 02, 2007, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reccer
Turned in batting lineup today, I had already noted Pitcher, Catcher, Flex, and DP. PU wanted me to write in rest of of positions. I complied, but why did he ask me to?

With the DP listed in the line-up, any of the 10 players listed can play any of the 9 defensive positions. I might turn in a lineup with batter in the two hole listed as playing SS and decide to sit her on the bench and have DP play in her place the top of the first inning.

Even when I am not using the DP, I still don't understand why you want me to write down defensive positions, other than the pitcher and the catcher.
Considering that you can legally put the other 7 all in left field, or all between 1st and 2nd base, or dang near anywhere, this was a pretty asinine request from your umpire.

West Houston Mike