A terrible tragedy

Sorry to be posting this:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,290798,00.html
Old Wed Jul 25, 2007, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Al
Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule
When reading that I thought of all the kids that I've come to know over the last few years on the field. Some become like family. There have been a few times when one of the girls got hurt but you just don't expect anything like this. I can't even begin to imagine what her family and friends are going through. ...Al
Old Wed Jul 25, 2007, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
I agree Al - there are kids that are seniors in college that I umpired my first year 8 years ago that I know their family now, they talk to me at Wal Mart, the kids get excited when I walk on the field . . . I can't imagine if something happened to them! What a horrible tragedy!

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Wed Jul 25, 2007, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

My thoughts and prayers go out to the girl's family and her teammates. I would say the girls will have a hard time getting over the loss their friend. How do you explain this to 12 yr old players?
Old Wed Jul 25, 2007, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

Earlier this season, we had a player die on the field of a sudden heart attack. He was no older than 35 (conflicting reports, but all below 35 years old), and he was in decent shape. He was running home, tagged the plate, then dropped on the spot. I was so glad that I wasn't there for that game. You never know when things like this can happen, and it's always a shame.

In the case of the OP, it's even moreso, and I'm glad that ASA changed the rule for when we may call "time" in case of injury. It wouldn't have helped this poor girl, but maybe it will help (or has already helped) someone else.

Good call, ASA. Good call.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Thu Jul 26, 2007, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

It is even more shocking when it strikes so close to home. Though I did not personally know the girl, I am familiar with the team, her schools, and some members of her extended family. Friday afternoon I am scheduled to call my first game in her team's first annual "friendly" tournament. A tournament, which you can read about, has been renamed to honor the young lady.

Despite the shock, the visitations, and the memorial service, the tournament will be played. For that is what this girl, and her extended family are all about - playing softball. Her grandfather, after 58 years of ball, still plays fastpitch. Her aunts and uncles and mother all play. Within the family are AD's and coaches. Softball is their life.

It will be a tough weekend for everyone involved, including the umpires. But the tournament will go on as a celebration of the girl's and her families love for softball.

WMB

Grand Rapids Press story: http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/in...380.xml&coll=6
Old Thu Jul 26, 2007, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

From the Lowell Xtreme home page:
http://www.lowell-softball.org/default.asp

To send a note to the Hilbrands and their extended softball family,
EMAIL
[email protected]