The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 26, 2007, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano

The HOF is bound by its adopted rules. Congratulations to MLB for having the courage to stick by its code of conduct.
Yeah, great code of conduct. Performance enhancing drugs and testing are iffy at best; it's okay for both benches to empty in a childish brawl on the field; get a DUI, get suspended for four days you aren't scheduled to pitch anyway; etc.

But bet on your team to win? String that SOB up and never let him down.

Yep, those are definitely the roll models I would want my child to follow.....if I wanted him to grow up to be a despot.
Old Thu Jul 26, 2007, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
What part of what I stated?

That illegal bookie operations are run by criminals? Seems self-evident to me.
That isn't what you said. Your comment The real problem is that gambling in this country is run by organized crime, especially in areas where the gambler is dealing with a bookie.

While I have no doubt that there are areas where OC is involved in illegal gambling, your insinuation is that they run gambling nationwide. IOW, if you gamble with a bookie, you are dealing with OC and that just is not true.

Quote:
I'm not talking about legal bookmaking. If fact, one helpful action might be to legalize the sports books in all states. It wouldn't help those with a gambling problem, but it would help to remove Uncle Guido from the equation.
That is a misconception. Many states run numbers, but the neighborhood runners are still there.

Congress took care of that. I still don't believe they had the right to forbid states from running sports books, but the constitution has never stopped those idiots from doing whatever they want. Only a limited number of states are permitted to run sports books. However, even the legal books would not stop the illegal gambling, just cut their profit margin a bit. Reason: you can call a bookie from your living room and people are lazy. There is also the IRS issues.

Quote:
And, if you think organized illegal gambling operations are NOT continuing to attempt to influence players, coaches, and officials of all sports of interest (college and professional) in order to get an edge on the odds, you are not facing reality.
By the time that happens, the individual has already administered the self-inflicted damage. When it does happen, it is usually a local, isolated case, not some large-scale conspiracy. The folks you mention are given more warning and instruction on how to deal with this issue than you work ball games.
Old Thu Jul 26, 2007, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
That isn't what you said.
But it is what I meant... can't you figure out what I meant? Do I have to spell it out?
Quote:
That is a misconception. Many states run numbers, but the neighborhood runners are still there.
Note I said it would "help" remove Uncle Guido, not that it would completely remove him.

Quote:
Congress took care of that. I still don't believe they had the right to forbid states from running sports books, but the constitution has never stopped those idiots from doing whatever they want. Only a limited number of states are permitted to run sports books. However, even the legal books would not stop the illegal gambling, just cut their profit margin a bit. Reason: you can call a bookie from your living room and people are lazy. There is also the IRS issues.
Agreed, including on the political statement.
Quote:
By the time that happens, the individual has already administered the self-inflicted damage. When it does happen, it is usually a local, isolated case, not some large-scale conspiracy. The folks you mention are given more warning and instruction on how to deal with this issue than you work ball games.
I agree with the self-inflicted part (at least wrt getting into massive debt, etc.). However, people with human weaknesses exist in all professions, and all the lectures and warnings in the world won't keep some from getting themselves into trouble. If someone runs up huge legal debt, they have many remedies available to them, from negotiations to bankruptcy. Illegal debt, however, has no remedy that keeps your kneecaps intact (so to speak), and therefore gives the "victim" (yeah, I know - self-inflicted) limited options.
Old Thu Jul 26, 2007, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
But it is what I meant... can't you figure out what I meant? .
Do you expect me to read the player's, er ....your mind? Anyway, are we still allowed to judge intent?
Old Thu Jul 26, 2007, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah, great code of conduct. Performance enhancing drugs and testing are iffy at best.

Drug testing is hardly an exact science, unless it is done randomly and on multiple occasions. It took years for MLB to get to any testing because the Player's Union resisted for selfish and for legitimate reasons. And the testing policy now in effect provides penalties far short of the testing done by the Olympics which has a two year ban for the FIRST offense. But Baseball does have a testing program with teeth.

it's okay for both benches to empty in a childish brawl on the field; get a DUI, get suspended for four days you aren't scheduled to pitch anyway; etc.

Wow, only basball players are guilty of such behavior? And suspensions are money penalties(loss of pay) and are imposed with no regard to any pitching assignments.

But bet on your team to win? String that SOB up and never let him down.

Pete Rose lied and denied every step of the way in the sordid story of his gambling. To agree with his assertion that he only bet on the Reds to win is to wallow in his deceit with him. He admits his lies only when it is time to hawk a book or sell some more autographs.

Yep, those are definitely the roll(sic) models I would want my child to follow.....if I wanted him to grow up to be a despot.

Well, then maybe he could become a bagel, instead?
Old Fri Jul 27, 2007, 02:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano
[B]Wow, only baseball players are guilty of such behavior?
No. double fist pumpers are, too.

I say we ban double fist pumpers from the hall of fame.

All in favor say aye. (Aye) The ayes have it. Next case.