The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Thoughts on the referee corruption scandal in the NBA

It is impossible to overstate the damage these allegations will cause to the NBA. They have been trying to deal with the hooligan image of many of their players in order to stem the tide of defecting fans, and now this.

It is worth noting that this happened in a professional sports league with just about the highest level of scrutiny (charting of all calls and no-calls of every game) and a rigorous official grading system (at least so I understand). This implies that no amount of scrutiny or security or grading of officials will prevent this kind of thing from happening.

It also begs the question: who are the lowest paid professionals directly involved in a professional sports contest?

Officials.

Players have too much at stake to risk any point shaving activity. Besides, with their high salaries, they are less tempted in general by money under the table. It is easier to turn it down when your next weekly paycheck will be in 6 figures.

I don’t know where this goes; just some thoughts on the issue.
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

You know, sports officials by and large are paid well for their services. Some better than others. However, the level of pay should not affect the level of service these officials provide. They accept the jobs, knowing full well the pay scale that they are facing. Below is an accounting of the pay scales of various sports officials as provide by askmen.com:

Quote:
Major League Baseball (MLB) pays umpires anywhere from $100,000 to $280,000 US for the 162-game season, in addition to the tidy sum of over $50,000 per season for expenses. This does not include the cost of first-class air travel, which is provided. The lucky ones that get to call the games in the postseason make somewhere in the ballpark of $20,000, excluding expenses.

National Basketball Association (NBA) referees earn anywhere from $90,000 to $225,000 for their hard work.

Incidentally, while the National Hockey League's (NHL) athletes make less than their brethren in football, basketball and baseball, no other officials in any of the four major sports leagues make more than those in the NHL, where starters get a $115,000 salary. After a 15-year career, an NHL referee may be looking at an annual pay upwards of $220,000.

The National Football League (NFL) pays referees anywhere from $25,000 to $70,000 per season. When you consider that the league plays 16 games and referees are considered part-time employees, you get a better sense of the disparity. But do not feel so bad for them, not only are there only 16 games in the schedule, they also get one-week intervals.

And where are the women in all of this? Referees in the Women's National Basketball Association (WNBA) earn about $500 per game for a 32-game season, or a maximum of $16,000 annually.
What bugs me most about this scandal is that when one accepts a job, they accept it at the pay level offered and should perform it with the utmost integrity. This obviously was not done in this case.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Jul 24, 2007, 03:11am
Official Forum Member

The other thing that bugs me about this sorry saga is that last I knew, there was a little visit every now and then from a friendly FBI agent-in-charge and others with a list of places and people to avoid. Not only were you to avoid them, but contact with these places and people led to instant termination.

These little visits come in some (but not all, apparently) college and professional officiating organizations/conferences. either the NBA doesn't participate in this practice or doesn't take it seriously.

And here I thought the NFL was the one that was fixed...but then again, maybe that is why they changed the name a few years ago to NBA Entertainment -- kinda like World Wrestling Entertainment. Perhaps the NBA should bring in Vince McMahon to clean up its image.
Old Tue Jul 24, 2007, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones
And here I thought the NFL was the one that was fixed...:
The NFL has a special outside task force that looks at every call that has an effect on the point spread or over/under of a game. An example would be an official making a late pass interference call in a game that sets up a meaningless TD as far as who wins, but allows a team to cover the spread.

The task force would look at that call and into the official to see if there is anything suspicious.

I also know that MLB tracks the over/under on their games and the umpire strike zones for any anomalies.

I don't think the NBA or NHL do any of that.
Old Tue Jul 24, 2007, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
What bugs me most about this scandal is that when one accepts a job, they accept it at the pay level offered and should perform it with the utmost integrity. This obviously was not done in this case.
The pay wasn't the problem here. The problem was an official that had a gambling problem and got in debt to the wrong people.
Old Tue Jul 24, 2007, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsf23
The pay wasn't the problem here. The problem was an official that had a gambling problem and got in debt to the wrong people.
Shades of Pete Rose.

Bob
Old Tue Jul 24, 2007, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluezebra
Shades of Pete Rose.

Bob
Pete Rose did exactly what every player and manager should be required to do, wager part of their income on winning the game.
Old Wed Jul 25, 2007, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Rules to the contrary not withstanding...

I agree with you, if he is betting on his team and not on the opponent
Old Wed Jul 25, 2007, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferMC
Rules to the contrary not withstanding...

I agree with you, if he is betting on his team and not on the opponent
Well, that's what I meant by "on winning the game". Could you imagine some of the great ball that could be seen if the player's paychecks were dependent upon performance?

Guaranteed income is one of the things which chased me away as a fan.
Old Wed Jul 25, 2007, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Pete Rose did exactly what every player and manager should be required to do, wager part of their income on winning the game.
While I agree with the concept of pay for performance, especially with overpaid professional athletes, the gambling per se is not the real problem here. The real problem is that gambling in this country is run by organized crime, especially in areas where the gambler is dealing with a bookie. Being in regular contact with the crime organizations, and being in debt to them, is where these situations take a left turn into corruption.
Old Wed Jul 25, 2007, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
While I agree with the concept of pay for performance, especially with overpaid professional athletes, the gambling per se is not the real problem here. The real problem is that gambling in this country is run by organized crime, especially in areas where the gambler is dealing with a bookie. Being in regular contact with the crime organizations, and being in debt to them, is where these situations take a left turn into corruption.
Keep telling yourself that and in your mind it will become true. While I do not doubt this may be true in certain areas, I can tell you that what you have stated as a generalization doesn't hold water in many areas.
Old Thu Jul 26, 2007, 02:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That comment insults intelligence.

No player in pro sports had a guaranteed salary without performance.

To argue that players would perform better if they had skin in every game is to ignore that they already do.....free agents who are good get hired....those that aren't don't.

In America we are free to let the market decide what we are worth.

The market rewards the good players a hell of a lot more than the dark world of gambling.

Pete Rose chose to bet on baseball.

Pete Rose, by doing so, has locked himself out of the Hall of Fame.

Too bad for Pete Rose.

Hurrah for Baseball.

Pete Rose represents a sickness that, unchecked, undermines public confidence in sports.

He should never be granted admission to the Hall of Fame.
Old Thu Jul 26, 2007, 07:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano
That comment insults intelligence.
Then you shouldn't have a problem with it.

Quote:
No player in pro sports had a guaranteed salary without performance.
Really? Pete Rose had a personal services contract with the Reds which guaranteed him his salary.

Quote:
To argue that players would perform better if they had skin in every game is to ignore that they already do.....free agents who are good get hired....those that aren't don't.
You keep believing that. Baseball is a business on both sides of the table. Players perform for themselves first, the team is secondary.

Quote:
In America we are free to let the market decide what we are worth.

The market rewards the good players a hell of a lot more than the dark world of gambling.
That must be why so many gamble. And if you think they do not, you are sadly mistaken, and I'm not just talking about baseball.

Quote:
Pete Rose chose to bet on baseball.
Actually, I knew him more to bet on the ponies.

Quote:
Pete Rose, by doing so, has locked himself out of the Hall of Fame.

Too bad for Pete Rose.

Hurrah for Baseball.
Baseball doesn't run the HOF. Shame of the HOF for ignoring the obvious and not having the courage to do the right thing.

Quote:
Pete Rose represents a sickness that, unchecked, undermines public confidence in sports.
Rubbish. Pete Rose and millions of other people in this country gamble for the action and fun. Are there people who think gambling is a quick-fix to financial issues? Yeah, but that doesn't mean the masses with ability to gamble with their head should be deprived of the opportunity to enjoy it.

Quote:
He should never be granted admission to the Hall of Fame.
Another good reason to avoid a sport run by .......(enter disparaging remark here).
Old Thu Jul 26, 2007, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Keep telling yourself that and in your mind it will become true. While I do not doubt this may be true in certain areas, I can tell you that what you have stated as a generalization doesn't hold water in many areas.
What part of what I stated?

That illegal bookie operations are run by criminals? Seems self-evident to me.

Or that frequent contact with organized crime with the predictable result of getting into debt to them may result in people doing desparate things?

Which?

I'm not talking about legal bookmaking. If fact, one helpful action might be to legalize the sports books in all states. It wouldn't help those with a gambling problem, but it would help to remove Uncle Guido from the equation.

And, if you think organized illegal gambling operations are NOT continuing to attempt to influence players, coaches, and officials of all sports of interest (college and professional) in order to get an edge on the odds, you are not facing reality.
Old Thu Jul 26, 2007, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

In response to IRISH MAFIA:

Pete Rose had a personal services contract with the Reds which guaranteed him his salary.

And he got that based on his performance

Baseball is a business on both sides of the table. Players perform for themselves first, the team is secondary.

Thanks for the insight into Capitalism, but individuals cannot win games, and the odds of making any money by gambling on your team are not very good. Over half the teams in the major leagues are barely at 500 or worse.

Baseball doesn't run the HOF.

The HOF excludes ineligible players from consideration for induction. Major League Baseball has declared Rose ineligible.

Shame of the HOF for ignoring the obvious and not having the courage to do the right thing.

The HOF is bound by its adopted rules. Congratulations to MLB for having the courage to stick by its code of conduct.