The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 21, 2007, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Umpire Interference

14U BR, R1 on third, passed ball, R1 goes for home, pitcher moves to cover, catcher recovers ball and spins and throws, R1 about 5 ft from plate, ball bounces off PU's head (she didn't pivot out from plate, just took a step back from slot), PU looking down and holding head, R1 scores, DC argues UI, PU states that her judgment was that R1 had scored before UI.

BR rules state (para phrased) UI if umpire impedes catcher while trying to play steal. I feel like this rule is addressing the throw to second, but does not specifically state this. Penalty is dead ball, runners back to last legally touched base.

Blown call?

Last edited by c4in; Fri Jun 22, 2007 at 06:36am.
Old Thu Jun 21, 2007, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4in
14U BR, R1 on third, passed ball, R1 goes for home, pitcher moves to cover, catcher recovers ball and spins and throws, R1 about 5 ft from plate, ball bounces off PU's head (she didn't pivot out from plate, just took a step back from slot), PU looking down and holding head, R1 scores, DC argues UI, PU states that her judgment was that R1 had scored before UI.

BR rules state (para phrased) UI if umpire impedes catcher while trying to play steel. I feel like this rule is addressing the throw to second, but does not specifically state this. Penalty is dead ball, runners back to last legally touched base.

Blown call?
I'll take a stab. UI occurs on a pitched ball when the catcher attempts to make a play and gets caught up in a tangle with PU. IF the out is made UI is ignored.

In this case, passed ball, no UI. Pitcher needs to throw to the catcher and catcher needs to catch it, umpire needs to keep eye on ball. Score the run.

Last edited by sargee7; Thu Jun 21, 2007 at 11:57am.
Old Thu Jun 21, 2007, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

There are only 2 specific situations where umpire interference can occur, and your situation is not one of them. ASA 8-6-F NOTE: It is not umpire interference if, on a passed ball or wild pitch, the umpire gets hit by a thrown ball from the catcher. The ball is live.
Old Thu Jun 21, 2007, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

This play brings to light one of my favorite descriptions of us:

Umpires are like dirt....just part of the field!
Old Thu Jun 21, 2007, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy

Since he beat me to it - what Andy said. No UI here.
Old Thu Jun 21, 2007, 01:30pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4in
UI if umpire impedes catcher while trying to play steel.
I quit trying to play Steel after my first year of umpiring. I'm certainly no Shaquille O'Neal. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120207/
Old Thu Jun 21, 2007, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP
I quit trying to play Steel after my first year of umpiring. I'm certainly no Shaquille O'Neal. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120207/
Yeah I was trying to determine if I should quit playing steel drums or steel guitar. Playing Steel would probably be more difficult.
Old Thu Jun 21, 2007, 06:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
Yeah I was trying to determine if I should quit playing steel drums or steel guitar. Playing Steel would probably be more difficult.
I prefer a resophonic guitar (Dobro is a brand name) to a steel.

And...if the umpire interferes with the steel, it's gonna be hard for the catcher to pick it.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Back to polishing my watch...
Old Thu Jun 21, 2007, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy

crap, stole my line.
Old Fri Jun 22, 2007, 06:40am
Official Forum Member

Thanks everyone. I now understand the rule and can apply it. Ok, give an old guy a break. I put in 60 hours a week at work and still "squeeze" in 6 to 8 games. I figure I can sleep when I'm dead. My grammar usage does suffer though
Old Fri Jun 22, 2007, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Do you all think the reasoning behind this not being interference is that the umpire being able to position himself to see the play takes precedence over having to move in a way that makes sure he won't get in the way of the play?
part-time coach,
here to learn.
Old Fri Jun 22, 2007, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMatt
Do you all think the reasoning behind this not being interference is that the umpire being able to position himself to see the play takes precedence over having to move in a way that makes sure he won't get in the way of the play?
Yes and no.

Umpire mechanics are designed to put us in position to see what we need to see and stay out of the way of the players most of the time. We have all been there when, due to funky stuff happening, we find ourselves in the middle of a play.

My take is that the UI rule is there more to prevent players from just throwing the ball at the umpire or running into the umpire to get a dead ball and gain an advantage by sending a runner back to a base or avoiding an out.

The exception on using UI in the case of F2 throwing to attempt to retire a stealing runner is there because of the position the umpire has to be in at the start of that play (the pitch) and the close proximity to F2 needed to call the pitch. Due to the speed at which the pitch comes in and F2 throws, there may be very little time for the umpire to react and get out of the way. Even with that, I can't think of the last time I saw UI called in that situation.

Just my opinion....maybe Mike or WMB can add more on the history and philosophy of the UI rule.
Old Fri Jun 22, 2007, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Makes sense, especially since if F1 and F2 are doing their job, blue will be behind F2 and out of the way of any play on a runner from 3B. In the OP, the whole problem started because of the passed ball, which put F2 in a position (presumed to be somewhere behind the ump, between the ump and the backstop) and where the ump's location was between her and the play.

Can't expect blue to evaporate any more than batters.
part-time coach,
here to learn.