The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

From the baseball board....

The guys that play with the little balls are on our case.....

NCAA Softball Umpires
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

The "little ballers" are exactly correct.

NCAA umps look like robots.

ASA is not far behind in that.

The excuse "so anyone can work together" flies OK with rotational field mechanics.. its lame when talking about certain issues like strike calling or certain forms of individuality in the way you sell your calls.

IMO, NCAA umpires look absolutely atrocious.

I hope I dont look like that when I'm calling... but who knows since I do use prescribed mechanics.

Last edited by wadeintothem; Tue Jun 05, 2007 at 08:25pm.
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
W...i...d...e plate stance

When did it become a requirement for the PU to perform a split? Most of the plate umpires are so wide that they stagger back to the upright position between pitches like Bambi trying to stand up on ice. Sure doesn't look "balanced and comfortable" to me.

Maybe I'm just jealous because arthritis and (lack of) flexibility keep me from getting as wide as I'd like.
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

I think the 'robotics' are required in softball to do a good job. I think it's a faster game when played well.... and plate umpires can't afford the luxury of turning to the side to perform one of those styling and profiling baseball stike mechanics.

(I think they can be robotic, too, but they just change every couple of years. Lately they've been getting near us.)

I also agree with Texas Aggie's posting. Them boys sure do look purdee in their high dollar uniforms.
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
The "little ballers" are exactly correct.

NCAA umps look like robots.

ASA is not far behind in that.

The excuse "so anyone can work together" flies OK with rotational field mechanics.. its lame when talking about certain issues like strike calling or certain forms of individuality in the way you sell your calls.

IMO, NCAA umpires look absolutely atrocious.

I hope I dont look like that when I'm calling... but who knows since I do use prescribed mechanics.
I totally agree.

It takes about an hour for a NCAA/ASA plate umpire to call a strike(following book guidelines) and the mechanic is about as sophisticated as little league.They use the same strike call whether it is a called strike or the batter swings...and the strikeout call is the same as a BU's sell out. It gives the impression that to work the big games you better follow the cookie cutter pictures.

And could we please get a new ASA dress code?...blue pants have been out of fashion since Jimmy Carter. Most umpire clothing stores no longer even stock them.

And what is with BU's in the playoffs carrying the clickers in their hands?

Nothing against the ability of the ones I have seen on TV(although I am not sure by TV replays if the Arizona player touced the plate with the only run of the game)

But the mechanics and dress need some updates.
Old Wed Jun 06, 2007, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano
I totally agree.

It takes about an hour for a NCAA/ASA plate umpire to call a strike(following book guidelines) and the mechanic is about as sophisticated as little league.They use the same strike call whether it is a called strike or the batter swings...and the strikeout call is the same as a BU's sell out. It gives the impression that to work the big games you better follow the cookie cutter pictures.

And could we please get a new ASA dress code?...blue pants have been out of fashion since Jimmy Carter. Most umpire clothing stores no longer even stock them.

Nothing against the ability of the ones I have seen on TV(although I am not sure by TV replays if the Arizona player touced the plate with the only run of the game)

Thankfully we dont wear (and havent for 4 years) the blue pants.. those horrible things.. We wear the heather grey.

The NCAA 3K looking strike call that they obviously mandate to a rigid standard is the most goofy looking thing.. AT LEAST ASA doesnt mandate this and allows some individuality there (although in clinic this stupid thing is always taught)

You rarely ever see the replay of the 3K sell out which includes the ump.. #1, its goofy and the TV people know it, #2, they have pranced themselves out of the frame of the video.

A good exciting sell out should be right there, immediate, and not prancing 2 yards up 3rd base line kicking your legs out 2 minutes after the pitch was delivered.

Its very .. um.. "rainbowish".. in appearance.
Old Wed Jun 06, 2007, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by argodad
When did it become a requirement for the PU to perform a split? Most of the plate umpires are so wide that they stagger back to the upright position between pitches like Bambi trying to stand up on ice. Sure doesn't look "balanced and comfortable" to me.

Maybe I'm just jealous because arthritis and (lack of) flexibility keep me from getting as wide as I'd like.
It's meant to assure the coaches who _allow_ them to work their games that they are not calling a legal strike zone and wont call anything high.

Thats my guess anyway.
Old Wed Jun 06, 2007, 01:25am
Official Forum Member

Question Umpire's Uniform

Quote:
Thankfully we dont wear (and havent for 4 years) the blue pants.. those horrible things.. We wear the heather grey.

The NCAA 3K looking strike call that they obviously mandate to a rigid standard is the most goofy looking thing.. AT LEAST ASA doesnt mandate this and allows some individuality there (although in clinic this stupid thing is always taught)

You rarely ever see the replay of the 3K sell out which includes the ump.. #1, its goofy and the TV people know it, #2, they have pranced themselves out of the frame of the video.

A good exciting sell out should be right there, immediate, and not prancing 2 yards up 3rd base line kicking your legs out 2 minutes after the pitch was delivered.

Its very .. um.. "rainbowish".. in appearance.
IT SHOULD NOT MATTER IF YOU HAVE ON BLUE OR GREY IF THE JOB IS DONE RIGHT WHO CARES!!!!!!!!
Old Wed Jun 06, 2007, 04:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano
I totally agree.

What is a "clicker" and whats wrong with the base umpire carrying one?

I like the blue..hope they stay around forever.....

and dont forget most of the plate umpires VERBALIZE the calls first, so the players know what it is before the signal is given.... sorry you dont like to wait...
Old Wed Jun 06, 2007, 07:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbigdawg
What is a "clicker" and whats wrong with the base umpire carrying one?
I think its pretty much common knowledge that at any decent level of littleball, the BU carrying a clicker is an affront to decency.

I dont think its a big deal though. In fact, I'm thankful many times my BU has a clicker.
Old Wed Jun 06, 2007, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think its pretty much common knowledge that at any decent level of littleball, the BU carrying a clicker is an affront to decency.

I dont think its a big deal though. In fact, I'm thankful many times my BU has a clicker.
Heck, I always have my indicator when I'm BU, with another one in my ball bag (in case my partner forgets his/hers).

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Wed Jun 06, 2007, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
Heck, I always have my indicator when I'm BU, with another one in my ball bag (in case my partner forgets his/hers).
You wear a ball bag as BU?
Old Wed Jun 06, 2007, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctblu40
Oh, we're not starting this again.

Actually, our org assigns us to 3 games per night. I usually do games 1 and 3 behind the plate, and game 2 on the bases. So yes, my ball bag is with me, but I usually remember to take it off when I'm BU. Sometimes I forget, but hey... it's only rec ball. :P

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Wed Jun 06, 2007, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctblu40
Heck no!!

It gets in the way of my fanny pack, in which I keep an extra clicker in case I drop mine.
Old Wed Jun 06, 2007, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
Good one. x