The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 07, 2007, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Runner gets hit by a batted ball

Runners on 1st and 2nd. Batter hits a hard grounder right back at the pitcher. The pitcher reaches to his right and deflects the ball towards the shortstop. Before the ball gets to the shortstop, the ball contacts the runner.
Dead ball or play on?
This was a softball game. Is the rule different for different levels of play?
Old Thu Jun 07, 2007, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy
Runners on 1st and 2nd. Batter hits a hard grounder right back at the pitcher. The pitcher reaches to his right and deflects the ball towards the shortstop. Before the ball gets to the shortstop, the ball contacts the runner.
Dead ball or play on?
This was a softball game. Is the rule different for different levels of play?
Speaking ASA

If in the judgment of the umpire the runner could not reasonably avoid contact, it is nothing.
Old Thu Jun 07, 2007, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

Once the pitcher touched the ball, it was no longer a batted ball that hit the runner...play on.
Old Thu Jun 07, 2007, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDblue
Once the pitcher touched the ball, it was no longer a batted ball that hit the runner...play on.

Not true.

From the 2007 ASA Rule book. Rule 8 Section 8. A RUNNER IS NOT OUT.
F. When a runner is hit with a fair batted ball after it touches, or is touched by, any fielder, including the pitcher, and the runner could not avoid contact with the ball. Judgment call and as always HTBT.

Page 146 of the 2007 ASA rule book. RS #33 A 1 b.

When the runner is hit by a fair batted ball, it is interference if it occurred before the ball passed an infielder, excluding the pitcher, and provided the runner was not in contact with the base. It is interference if the batted ball deflects off one defensive player and the runner interferes with any defensive player who has an opportunity to make an out.

Paul
Old Thu Jun 07, 2007, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az.Ump
From the 2007 ASA Rule book. Rule 8 Section 8. A RUNNER IS NOT OUT.
F. When a runner is hit with a fair batted ball after it touches, or is touched by, any fielder, including the pitcher, and the runner could not avoid contact with the ball.
I'm not sure why my answer confused you since you just quoted the rule from the rulebook that reinforces my answer as being true and correct.
Old Thu Jun 07, 2007, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm not sure why my answer confused you since you just quoted the rule from the rulebook that reinforces my answer as being true and correct.
I think what you missed is if after the ball deflects off the pitcher and hits the runner, and that "interferes with another players attemp to field the ball and make an out", the runner is still out.
Old Thu Jun 07, 2007, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

Two different rules folks. There is a difference in being hit by a deflected ball and contact a defender fielding a deflected ball.
Old Thu Jun 07, 2007, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

Tom,

Sorry if I was confused about your post. It read to me as if a deflected ball was no longer a batted ball and the runner was not in jeopardy of being declared out on an interference call if struck by the ball. I was apparently clearing up the clear by posting the rule. The key words of which are “could not avoid”. This to me means a deflected ball that is so sharp and direct that the runner has no opportunity to get out of the way is not interfering. I see this as a fairly high standard which excludes runners who are not paying attention. In all but a few instances (such as a line drive deflected directly toward a fielder who just has time to raise her glove) if the defense has time to react to the deflection than so should the runner. A runner who could of avoided the ball but does not should be called out providing all the other provisions of the rule are met. Again my apologies for misreading your OP.

Paul
Old Thu Jun 07, 2007, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsig
I think what you missed is if after the ball deflects off the pitcher and hits the runner, and that "interferes with another players attemp to field the ball and make an out", the runner is still out.
I didn't miss that but once the ball has touched a fielders glove, or any part of a defenders body, it is no longer a "batted" ball by definition. A defender is no longer fielding a "batted" ball at this point.

Zoochy,

The rule book is for "ALL" levels of play no matter if it's Rec IV or Class B the rules are the same for all.
Old Fri Jun 08, 2007, 06:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I didn't miss that but once the ball has touched a fielders glove, or any part of a defenders body, it is no longer a "batted" ball by definition. A defender is no longer fielding a "batted" ball at this point.
Actually, it is. It just happens to be a batter ball that has been deflected or touched by the defense. That is why the book refers to it as a deflected batted ball.
Old Fri Jun 08, 2007, 07:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't think your answer confused anyone ... it was just wrong - and the rule quoted should show you why.
Old Fri Jun 08, 2007, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=NDblue]I didn't miss that but once the ball has touched a fielders glove, or any part of a defenders body, it is no longer a "batted" ball by definition. A defender is no longer fielding a "batted" ball at this point.

Zoochy,

Page 146 ASA RS#33 A 1 B Last sentance:
"It is interference if the batted ball deflects off of one defensive player and the runner interferes with any defensive player who has an opportunity to make an out."

IMO that could include being hit with the ball after it deflected off the pitcher, preventing another player from making an out.
Old Fri Jun 08, 2007, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

sigh..........
Old Fri Jun 08, 2007, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

[quote=bigsig]
Quote:

Zoochy,

Page 146 ASA RS#33 A 1 B Last sentance:
"It is interference if the batted ball deflects off of one defensive player and the runner interferes with any defensive player who has an opportunity to make an out."

IMO that could include being hit with the ball after it deflected off the pitcher, preventing another player from making an out.
Well, it isn't the same rule no matter how you dress it up. Does anyone bother reading these posts?
Old Mon Jun 11, 2007, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Yes, and (as always) getting an education.

So... the runner is out by being touched by an undeflected batted ball.

If the ball gets deflected by the pitcher, and then touches a runner, the runner still may be out, but only if that touch could be considered interference, because it kept a fielder from making a play on the ball.