View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 07, 2007, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

Tom,

Sorry if I was confused about your post. It read to me as if a deflected ball was no longer a batted ball and the runner was not in jeopardy of being declared out on an interference call if struck by the ball. I was apparently clearing up the clear by posting the rule. The key words of which are “could not avoid”. This to me means a deflected ball that is so sharp and direct that the runner has no opportunity to get out of the way is not interfering. I see this as a fairly high standard which excludes runners who are not paying attention. In all but a few instances (such as a line drive deflected directly toward a fielder who just has time to raise her glove) if the defense has time to react to the deflection than so should the runner. A runner who could of avoided the ball but does not should be called out providing all the other provisions of the rule are met. Again my apologies for misreading your OP.

Paul