The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 16, 2005, 06:08am
Official Forum Member

In Pro's, college, Rec. Level...If runner standing on the bag is hit by a batted ball BEFORE it has passed the infielder trying to catch it, is this a deadball basehit.
Generally what section of any rule book would this be covered in. I have a National Baseball Congress Inc rule book, and cannot find a mention of hit runner while on bag, only hit runner while off the bag interference references.
Old Thu Jun 16, 2005, 07:10am
Official Forum Member

Check the respective rule book section on Baserunning, Base Runner, Runner, etc.

OBR 7.08(f)

Runner is out if he is touched by a fair ball in fair territory before the ball has touched or passed an infielder. The ball is dead and no runner may score, nor runners advance, except runners forced to advance.

EXCEPTION:

If a runner is touching his base when touched by an Infield Fly, he is not out, although the batter is out; If two runners are touched by the same fair ball, only the first one is out because the ball is instantly dead. If runner is touched by an Infield Fly when he is not touching his base, both runner and batter are out.
Old Thu Jun 16, 2005, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

As Matthew's rule reference implies, being in contact with a base gives a runner no sanctuary from interfering with a batted ball, unless the batted ball is an Infield Fly. If it's not an infield fly, then the other rules apply, and the runner is (almost always) out when hit by the ball.
Old Thu Jun 16, 2005, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

I mainly ump softball, but am asked from time to time to do baseball. I understand this runner on the base issue is likely different because in softball you cannot lead off.
What do you feel is appropriate for Little League ages where leading off is not allowed and the runner is hit while on the bag ?
Old Thu Jun 16, 2005, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

The rule is the same in LL - out (unless it's an infield fly).
Old Thu Jun 16, 2005, 05:11pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by chuck chopper
I mainly ump softball, but am asked from time to time to do baseball. I understand this runner on the base issue is likely different because in softball you cannot lead off.
What do you feel is appropriate for Little League ages where leading off is not allowed and the runner is hit while on the bag ?
In softball, the base IS a sanctuary from a batted ball. The rules in this case are VERY different.