The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 03, 2007, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA Mechanics?

In 6th inning (Arizona-Washington), noticed a lack of rotation by the crew on a base hit to RF w/ runner on 1B.

When the ball was returned to the infield, BU1 was almost in the path of rounding BR, BU3 was 1b-2b line extended as the throw bounced across the infield toward 3b. Don't know if PU moved up to 3B, but with both BUs on the outside, Lori Bish had 3b & plate to herself with no possible help if the ball got away from the defense.

If this is a practiced mechanic, I cannot say I'm much of a fan of it. In one of the earlier games today, I saw the PU sprinting toward 3B to cover a possible play, checking back over her shoulder as if looking for help, but didn't think much of it until I saw this play.

Until today, it haven't seen anything that drew my attention as far as mechanics from the regionals forward.

BTW, this year there seems to have been much better luck/vision/sight for the PUs as it involves batted balls/hit batters around the plate unlike last year.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 06:40am
Official Forum Member

No, not an NCAA mechanic. Just a FU by U1.

Same as ASA, with single R1 on 1st and clean base hit to RF, U1 should work inside, buttonhook to take any play back to 1st, prepare to rotate home if/when PU commits to 3rd (at which time U3 slides back to take the trail runner). Read and react accordingly; U1 screwed up with initial move. U3 seemingly reacted to U1, read no commitment to 3rd by R1, and adjusted to angle of possible throw back to 2nd.

As a fly on the wall, would be interested to have heard the PM by Emily, and if U1 attempted to rationalize as adjusting to the play.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Hearing as a fly on the wall might be interesting, but I sure would not want to be on the receiving end of that.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

I didn't see the play, so just a guess, but I am thinking that Bryan Smith (U1) got a late reaction to the ball to right field, thinking "am I going(?)" or "is U3 going(?)", realized if he buttonhooked he might get hit in the back if the throw is to 1B, so he stayed outside, thinking that would be the lesser problem.

With 20/20 hind sight, if he can't get inside on that late reaction, probably would have been better off (after reading U3 staying) going/staying foul ground. Still a good angle for throw from RF, can rotate if a throw behind that runner, plus leaving the opportunity for a clean rotation home, if needed.

Susie Benzel (U3) seems to have gotten the same late reaction and read, where she should have also buttonhooked; now she has to worry about cutting off R1, as well as the ball in the back. Once trapped out, and with R1 not headed to 3rd, her rotation to the F5 side for a throw back play was probably the best option left.

Not the reactions and adjustments that we should expect from those high profile umpires. Oh well, even the best have brain farts; we just hope nothing is hurt. In this case, nothing was hurt.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

To the umpire's credit, it was a hard ground ball to the right side, but there really wasn't any question it was going to go through. I can understand the hesitation, but after the ball was clear, there didn't seem to be any urgency to, at least, clear the runners and proceed in the direction of a rotation should it become necessary.

I know what it's like to get caught out along the line, and the wrong decision can place you smack dab in the middle of the play. I have been known to head toward the plate in foul ground once I see my partner pick-up the BR, but in this case, the other BU was still outside.

Not looking to bash the umpires, they were just in a tough situation, but I just didn't know if that was what they were supposed to be doing.

Thanks,
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Does anyone have a list, or know where one is posted, of the umpires that are working this tourney?
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED
Does anyone have a list, or know where one is posted, of the umpires that are working this tourney?
Right here.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED
You can also see individual game assignments under the "Game Info" tab on gametracker, http://ncaasports.com/softball/women.../div1/20070603.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys!