Thread: NCAA Mechanics?
View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

I didn't see the play, so just a guess, but I am thinking that Bryan Smith (U1) got a late reaction to the ball to right field, thinking "am I going(?)" or "is U3 going(?)", realized if he buttonhooked he might get hit in the back if the throw is to 1B, so he stayed outside, thinking that would be the lesser problem.

With 20/20 hind sight, if he can't get inside on that late reaction, probably would have been better off (after reading U3 staying) going/staying foul ground. Still a good angle for throw from RF, can rotate if a throw behind that runner, plus leaving the opportunity for a clean rotation home, if needed.

Susie Benzel (U3) seems to have gotten the same late reaction and read, where she should have also buttonhooked; now she has to worry about cutting off R1, as well as the ball in the back. Once trapped out, and with R1 not headed to 3rd, her rotation to the F5 side for a throw back play was probably the best option left.

Not the reactions and adjustments that we should expect from those high profile umpires. Oh well, even the best have brain farts; we just hope nothing is hurt. In this case, nothing was hurt.