The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Ariz-Wash out of box (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/35313-ariz-wash-out-box.html)

greymule Sun Jun 03, 2007 07:07pm

Ariz-Wash out of box

The PU just called an Arizona batter out for having a foot out of the box when she bunted the ball. The announcer looked at the replay and explained that though the batter's foot was not on the ground out of the box when she made contact, "the rule says that she can't break the plane of the batter's box."

She has a rule book different from mine.

Mountaineer Sun Jun 03, 2007 07:32pm

Call of the Day

Quote:

Originally Posted by greymule
The PU just called an Arizona batter out for having a foot out of the box when she bunted the ball. The announcer looked at the replay and explained that though the batter's foot was not on the ground out of the box when she made contact, "the rule says that she can't break the plane of the batter's box."

They called it in the Tenn game too. I don't have my college rule book handy but I didn't think that's the way the rule read either.

MJT Sun Jun 03, 2007 07:44pm

Definitely not the rule in NF. In NF the foot must be on the ground.

greymule Sun Jun 03, 2007 07:53pm

NCAA book:

Section 17. An illegally batted ball occurs when the batter contacts the pitch and:

a. Either one of both of the batter's feet are in contact with the ground entirely outside the lines of the batter's box.

b. Any part of the batter's foot is touching home plate, even though she may be touching the lines of the batter's box.

c. etc.

The Arizona coach complained about the call, but not nearly as much as I would have.

Amazing! Announcers who don't know the rules! Sounded good, though, didn't it: "break the plane"?

IRISHMAFIA Sun Jun 03, 2007 08:58pm

Then there was the pop-fly in front of 3B that wasn't deep enough to advance the runners? Huh? :confused:

CecilOne Mon Jun 04, 2007 06:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mountaineer
They called it in the Tenn game too. I don't have my college rule book handy but I didn't think that's the way the rule read either.

I saw that one also and kept thinking her foot touched after contact with the ball, no call, but the timing was tight. Even if the camera had a better angle, you have to be sure to make the call.
Didn't hear any "break the plane" comment, maybe a rule book between games. ;)

SRW Mon Jun 04, 2007 08:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Then there was the pop-fly in front of 3B that wasn't deep enough to advance the runners? Huh? :confused:

Yeah, I caught that, too... with a R on 2B, fly ball to F5 in front of 3B... and that "wasn't deep enough to advance the runner".

Whisky Tango Foxtrot? Over?:confused:

IamMatt Mon Jun 04, 2007 09:09am

I didn't see the game but is it possible that the announcer meant that if a fly ball were caught deep in the outfield instead of in front of 3B the runner(s) might have had time to tag up and advance? Or am I giving him/her too much credit?

IRISHMAFIA Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IamMatt
I didn't see the game but is it possible that the announcer meant that if a fly ball were caught deep in the outfield instead of in front of 3B the runner(s) might have had time to tag up and advance? Or am I giving him/her too much credit?

Hell, I don't think Visa would give her that much credit.

bkbjones Tue Jun 05, 2007 04:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJT
Definitely not the rule in NF. In NF the foot must be on the ground.

Last I knew there were no allegations that NCAA was using NFHS rules.

argodad Tue Jun 05, 2007 01:59pm

Quote:

My wife is amused when I scream at the announcers. She told me, "You know they can't hear you, don't you?"

If she makes up just a couple more rules, Beth Mowins is going to move into Tim McCarver territory. :mad:

bkbjones Wed Jun 06, 2007 01:17am

Quote:

The announcer looked at the replay and explained that though the batter's foot was not on the ground out of the box when she made contact, "the rule says that she can't break the plane of the batter's box."

Maybe the announcer is, say, 160 years old. Back in the beginning, it WAS a line and not a box for the batter. Batter's box has been around longer than Christy Matthewson's mother.

These announcers disgust me. They need to put people in the booth that know the GAME, not just a play-by-play person who is a female and a player whose specialty is one particular positon and whose knowledge of the game is no more general than 90% of the people on this board.

SWFLguy Wed Jun 06, 2007 08:12pm

Funny thing--I umpired a few local women's softball games back in CNY that Beth played. I guess, once again proving that just because people play the game that they do not know much about the rules.

jimpiano Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SWFLguy
Funny thing--I umpired a few local women's softball games back in CNY that Beth played. I guess, once again proving that just because people play the game that they do not know much about the rules.

Does it then logically follow that since you umpired a few games you know all there is to know on how to PLAY the game?

Rich Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimpiano
Does it then logically follow that since you umpired a few games you know all there is to know on how to PLAY the game?

Umpires know more about how the game should be played than the talking heads know the rules. There's no doubt about that.