The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
R1, who never advanced from (edited from "left from") 3rd, is now out. By the way, that's 3 outs. Ball game.

Boy did I catch hell for that one. Home team protested, but they lost. For those who want me to cite rules, in ASA, it's 8-7-P. I don't even have my book on me today. That game will never leave me.
I'm actually confused as to how they lost this protest. If R1 "never advanced from 3rd", she wasn't moving, and if BR was not moving either ... why is R1 out when they threw to make a play on retired R2? There's no play here, is there? No play, no interference.

So ... maybe, you DID cost this team the tournament.
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
R1 (originally at 3rd) had advanced off the bag enough that a play could have been made on him.
Huh? You said he DIDN'T advance. Now I'm REALLY lost.
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Let me clarify... R1 moved off the bag enough that F3 could have thrown him out, but did not go all the way for home. He was about 15' off the bag. F3 saw R2 first, got confused, and threw to F4 since he was closer and figured he had a better shot at getting him than R1.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
Now I am confused. I see a Dave asking a question, not a Tom.
You are right. Thanks, I changed it to avoid confusion for those umpire who read this 1,000 years from now when they open the cyber time capsule.
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Did you see this post on eteamz? This blue could have decided the game!
part-time coach,
here to learn.
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMatt
Did you see this post on eteamz? This blue could have decided the game!
Nah, his partner did before the first pitch was thrown. 7-0.

Bad idea for the blue to field the ball, though. What if one of the girls turned their head at the last second and caught it in the face?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Thu May 24, 2007, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Fortunately the game in the eteamz post apparently meant nothing but I can't help think about the times an ump is accused of being a "10th player" on the opposing team by a losing coach LOL!

I did see a BU drinking beer in the parking lot after a game with the home team's coaches once, though. Not good for the image!
part-time coach,
here to learn.
Old Fri May 25, 2007, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
I believe what Dave is asking is, was there actually a play with which the act caused interference.

The rule note states that drawing a throw MAY be INT, not that it actually is INT. The rule states the the act has to INT with the defense's ability to make a play on another runner. If there were no other runner's moving, or in jeopardy, there was no play with which to INT.

Modified to change reference
Do you think it could/would be interfering with a play if F3 ignored R1 and R3 because R2 looked like the easiest out? IOW, good judgement about the best play, just not recognizing R2 was out because of R2's actions.
Old Fri May 25, 2007, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
Now I am confused. I see a Dave asking a question, not a Tom.
I guess he just expects Tom to ask that question.
Old Fri May 25, 2007, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
Do you think it could/would be interfering with a play if F3 ignored R1 and R3 because R2 looked like the easiest out? IOW, good judgement about the best play, just not recognizing R2 was out because of R2's actions.

Asking me? Or everyone else?

I felt that R2 was intentionally (this was 2 years ago, so intent is required) distracting F3, drawing a throw to second base. R1, who was already 10-15' off 3rd, saw the ball go to 2nd, and was getting ready to haul butt home. However, I killed the play before he got far, because the interference had already taken place.

Did that paint a clearer picture of what happened?

Old Fri May 25, 2007, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I felt that R2 was intentionally (this was 2 years ago, so intent is required) distracting F3, drawing a throw to second base. R1, who was already 10-15' off 3rd, saw the ball go to 2nd, and was getting ready to haul butt home. However, I killed the play before he got far, because the interference had already taken place.

Anyone who wants to answer, but specifically the quote "Posted by IRISHMAFIA".
Old Fri May 25, 2007, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Yes, this answered the question asked as to where there was a possible play for INT.
Old Fri May 25, 2007, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMatt
...I did see a BU drinking beer in the parking lot after a game with the home team's coaches once, though. Not good for the image!
WARNING: Thread Hijack Alert!

I can go this one better. Some of our local guys traveled to a tournament in a neighboring state. Our guy had the dish for a scheduled game, partnered with one of the host association umpires. Shortly before game time, BU is nowhere to be found, they are at an oulying field where no other umpires are around, this is the first game after a several hour rain delay.

PU decides to do the equipment inspection and start the pregame conference. As he finishes the inspection, he notices a car pull into the parking lot and a guy dressed in an umpire uniform jump out. The guy grabs a cooler out of his backseat and heads for the field. He is drinking something as he walks toward the field. As he approaches his PU partner, it is apparent that he is drinking from a can of beer! He finishes off the beer and sticks his hand out saying "Hi, my name is _______" like nothing is wrong!
Old Fri May 25, 2007, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Now THAT is Busch League!
Old Fri May 25, 2007, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Did your buddy tell him to get the **** out of there?