The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 22, 2007, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

DP - 4-5,g (CSA)

Hi All ...

CSA (Canada) just changed from “DEFO” to “FLEX” in our new rule book (new edition every odd year). I don’t have my new rule book here, so I’m going to copy what’s in my previous book below but use "FLEX". I didn’t see any notes pre-season on corresponding rule changes, so it should be close enough.

Just wondering if you have the same rule as our 4-5 g, and why (amidst all the constant questions about subs/re-entries/etc.) we don’t care if the DP plays defence somewhere other than for the FLEX?

RULE:

4-5, g: The DP may play defence at any position.

1) Should the DP play defence for a player other than the FLEX, that player will continue to bat, but not play defence, and is not considered to have left the game.

2) This defensive change does not have to be announced.

p.s Scott … I carry a copy of your Feb. 22/07 "Let's simplify this ..." FLEX/DP posting with me at all times … very well done, indeed. The above still bothers me, though.

Regards,

bobbrix
Old Tue May 22, 2007, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrix
Hi All ...

CSA (Canada) just changed from “DEFO” to “FLEX” in our new rule book (new edition every odd year). I don’t have my new rule book here, so I’m going to copy what’s in my previous book below but use "FLEX". I didn’t see any notes pre-season on corresponding rule changes, so it should be close enough.
If it is like every other organization that made this change, it is a name change only; no change in the actual rule.

Quote:
Just wondering if you have the same rule as our 4-5 g, and why (amidst all the constant questions about subs/re-entries/etc.) we don’t care if the DP plays defence somewhere other than for the FLEX?
Because unless DP plays defense for FLEX, no one has either entered or left the game. DP playing defense for any other player is just a defensive position swap, similar in effect to bringing in your F7 to pitch and putting the previous F1 out in left.
Old Wed May 23, 2007, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
If it is like every other organization that made this change, it is a name change only; no change in the actual rule.

Because unless DP plays defense for FLEX, no one has either entered or left the game. DP playing defense for any other player is just a defensive position swap, similar in effect to bringing in your F7 to pitch and putting the previous F1 out in left.
Tom is correct, as usual. Another way to think of it is, if you don't want a substitution to be charged, any of the top nine in the batting order can play defense along with the Flex. The person in the tenth spot, i.e. the Flex, has to play defense. That means that you can choose any eight of the other nine at any time to play defense.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 03:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
RULE:

4-5, g: The DP may play defence at any position.

1) Should the DP play defence for a player other than the FLEX, that player will continue to bat, but not play defence, and is not considered to have left the game.

2) This defensive change does not have to be announced.
Here's a question that doesn't have a thing to do with softball, but I couldn't send a private message.

Why is defence spelt with a "c", yet defensive is spelt with a "s"?
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones
Here's a question that doesn't have a thing to do with softball, but I couldn't send a private message.

Why is defence spelt with a "c", yet defensive is spelt with a "s"?
UK, Canada and other English speaking countries, defence is the correct spelling. In the American variant of English, defense is the correct spelling. Either way, defensive is the correct spelling for both camps.

Old Thu May 24, 2007, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

hey bkbjones

what a c or an s between fellow blue ??

but, it's "spelled" ... not "spelt" ... well, at least in canada anyway!!!

and, thanks for making the same bunt call as me ... "amen" ... good stuff

best regards,

bobbrix
Old Fri May 25, 2007, 01:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
but, it's "spelled" ... not "spelt" ... well, at least in canada anyway!!!
It's not down here either, unless we go back to using a common language such as Middle English or even Early Modern English.

Come over for the Cup and I'll lay some Beowulf, Domesday Book and Chaucer on ya. We'll drive Van Os nuts.
Old Fri May 25, 2007, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
CSA (Canada)

Now I am just wondering what the Confederate States of America have to do with Canada.