The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 15, 2007, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

Poll: BU calling illegal pitch

In ASA, any umpire is permitted to call illegal pitches. The question is: how many of you actually do it when you're the BU?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Sun Apr 15, 2007, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
You can in Fed too - it depends on what you are calling the IP for. As a PU, I cannot tell if they are crow hopping or leaping so that has to come from the BU. The BU cannot see things like the hands coming together or the feet in relation to the width of the pitching plate so that has to come from the PU.

I have called it but try to always get it when it really doesn't do any more damage than a ball on the batter. And - I try to get it early in the game.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Sun Apr 15, 2007, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

As long as I make the PU aware I may call it, I do call it. Otherwise, it tends to cause confusion both with inexperienced PUs and the players. I usually call it if a pitcher doesn't start on the mound (I only call SP, not FP or Modified). I see a lot of lazy PUs let the pitcher walk up to the mound and pitch with no stop.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Last edited by NCASAUmp; Mon Apr 16, 2007 at 08:53am.
Old Sun Apr 15, 2007, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
In ASA, any umpire is permitted to call illegal pitches. The question is: how many of you actually do it when you're the BU?
If you see the pitcher commit a foot, motion or contact violation, call it. Do not rule on the pitch itself.
Old Mon Apr 16, 2007, 03:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
When I see an illegal pitch, I call it - period. As BU, I've got the feet. As PU, I've got the hands. Why wouldn't I call an illegal pitch?
Old Mon Apr 16, 2007, 07:12am
Official Forum Member

Man, some days it feels like I'm the only one in our org who calls it from the bases! I think a lot of umpires in our org either don't know they can call it or are too afraid to call it.

Old Mon Apr 16, 2007, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I usually call it if a pitcher doesn't start on the mount
Y'all use a horse in SP???

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Apr 16, 2007, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi

Yep! Makes things interesting.

Actually, we don't use horses here. Apparently, we only use sheep.

Old Mon Apr 16, 2007, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yep! Makes things interesting.

Actually, we don't use horses here. Apparently, we only use sheep.
And here I would have guessed bulls.
Old Mon Apr 16, 2007, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
If you see the pitcher commit a foot, motion or contact violation, call it.
I completely agree. It is no different that a runner circumventing the rules by leaving early on a pitch. Abusing the rules is abusing the rules and we are suppose to catch and penalize those that do so.

In my earlier years, I used to give the pitcher the benefit of the doubt, and 'warn' them that they are doing something illegal, assuming they had a bad habit or some other 'innocent' reason for doing what they were doing. I think I've become a little more cynical, after hearing about some pitching coaches teaching illegal acts 'because they don't call it anyway'.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Mon Apr 16, 2007, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
Quote:
I usually call it if a pitcher doesn't start on the mount

Maybe she's going to give a sermon.

Bob
Old Mon Apr 16, 2007, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue
In my earlier years, I used to give the pitcher the benefit of the doubt, and 'warn' them that they are doing something illegal, assuming they had a bad habit or some other 'innocent' reason for doing what they were doing. I think I've become a little more cynical, after hearing about some pitching coaches teaching illegal acts 'because they don't call it anyway'.
Realizing that I might start a fire-storm with this - I personally don't have a problem with that - to a point. It's called preventive officiating. I don't have a problem telling my catcher to go out and "remind" the pitcher to bring her hands together, or to keep both feet within the 24", etc. It doesn't hurt anyone and allows the game to go smoothly without coaches getting all pi$$y.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Mon Apr 16, 2007, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
Realizing that I might start a fire-storm with this - I personally don't have a problem with that - to a point. It's called preventive officiating. I don't have a problem telling my catcher to go out and "remind" the pitcher to bring her hands together, or to keep both feet within the 24", etc. It doesn't hurt anyone and allows the game to go smoothly without coaches getting all pi$$y.
In rec leagues, if I see a pitcher breaking the rules, I often remind them between innings. Most of the pitchers in rec ball simply don't know, and most of the time, the batter isn't disadvantaged. But if I see a pitcher do it simply to see what they can get away with, then I hit 'em with it right away.

Tournies, on the other hand, are a different matter. I call it right away, no warning, no hesitation.

Old Mon Apr 16, 2007, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
I agree. The only problem are the coaches mentioned at the end. Too many are starting to get to the point where they do not want an umpire to talk to their pitcher or catcher.

If you cannot talk to them, you cannot offer a heads up. Problem is these coaches have an ego the size of the outfield and cannot (or will not try to) understand what you are doing.

But you start calling IPs and see how much they like playing by the strict rule.
Old Mon Apr 16, 2007, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Learning about IPs

I worked my first tourney this past Saturday. I had a partner at BU who had worked a state semifinal HS game, and several NSA world series. In one of my games, a pitcher knelt down in the circle like Mark Fidrych used to do (but didn't talk to the dirt) and literally pulverized the dirt with the ball. I had to call IP and my partner didn't seem to have a problem with that.

In a later game with the same partner I had a girl start her pitch with her left foot toe touching about 6 inches behind the plate. I called IP (NSA rules). Coach came out, I told him about the rule, he was clueless and thanked me and told his F1to do it the right way. Between innings, partner told me that I should let him make those calls. Pitcher was legal for another inning or so, then reverted to the IPs and partner said nothing.

It was raining by the end of the game so we couldn't talk, but I guess the practice is to let some things go in lower level travel ball.

I say lower level because these were 12U kids who were not exactly elite level players.

I'm sure the next "senior" partner I get will want me to call everything by the book.

I'm getting the opinion that calling IPs is very "indivualistic" from one umpire to another.

Interestingly enough, we had a lights out pitcher here at a No. Va high school 2 years ago who only lost once all year, in the state championship game. My association buddies, said that she pitched illegal all year and that nobody would call it.