The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 15, 2007, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
That's if you allow only one team to delay. Since both teams might do the same if you allowed it, you have now wasted 13 or 14 of 80 minutes in your 1:20 time limit.

I'm all about that. It just KILLS me that we have no authority in NCAA, and the typical 2:15 Div I game generally includes 3-4 minutes every half inning. Give us the 1 minute rule in NCAA, and most games would play in 1:45 or so, instead.
But remember Steve, the NCAA passed those rules last year regulating the time a batter/pitcher have between pitches to "speed up the game."

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Sun Apr 15, 2007, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Actually, they know they haven't sped up the game. Instead, they now claim the 10 second/5 second rule is to eliminate the "gamesmanship" being played. And, holy moley, when you invoke that rule, you would think you were the only umpire in the US who actually enforces it. IMO, they helped a lot of pitchers, who were losing any sense of rhythm waiting for their coaches to give 20 signals per pitch.

Last fall, they asked teams to experiment with speed up rules; time limits between innings being one. I worked at three different sites (one was a tournament run by a coach whose pet peeve is making sure the umpires turn around fast enough between games), and not one would even consider that experiment. This is simply the NCAA coaches' way of insisting they dictate how to run the games, not the umpires.

Almost every televised NCAA game I have seen that is a delayed broadcast has some part cut to fit into the very reasonable 2:00 time slot.

Last edited by AtlUmpSteve; Sun Apr 15, 2007 at 04:32pm.
Old Sun Apr 15, 2007, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This is simply the NCAA coaches' way of insisting they dictate how to run the games, not the umpires.
WHAT!?!? The "C" in NCAA doesn't stand for Coaches????

Don't tell any softball coach that
Old Sun Apr 15, 2007, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

I recently came to a decision to automatically deduct one warm-up pitch for a game face that is laying on the ground while the pitcher warms up.

Maximum of 4 pitches for those pitchers.
Old Sun Apr 15, 2007, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Actually, they know they haven't sped up the game. Instead, they now claim the 10 second/5 second rule is to eliminate the "gamesmanship" being played. And, holy moley, when you invoke that rule, you would think you were the only umpire in the US who actually enforces it. IMO, they helped a lot of pitchers, who were losing any sense of rhythm waiting for their coaches to give 20 signals per pitch.

Last fall, they asked teams to experiment with speed up rules; time limits between innings being one. I worked at three different sites (one was a tournament run by a coach whose pet peeve is making sure the umpires turn around fast enough between games), and not one would even consider that experiment. This is simply the NCAA coaches' way of insisting they dictate how to run the games, not the umpires.

Almost every televised NCAA game I have seen that is a delayed broadcast has some part cut to fit into the very reasonable 2:00 time slot.
Ain't that the truth, Steve! I've made that call and gotten all sorts of grief 'cuz "how can you be the only umpire calling that in this conference.....
Do you think.........." You'd have thought I'd have killed somebody.

We had one site where the head coach agreed to the experimental rules. She has also agreed to allow us to try new mechanics. But only in the fall. And she was pretty clear that she didn't want to see those experimental rules used in the spring.

addidtion - nothing like posting something and seeing just how fat the fingers were