The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 14, 2007, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Bench, don't eject

In my third year of umpiring, but first year doing travel ball (NSA) I finally put a coach on the bench today. First time ever, still no ejection.

14U tourney game, on an hour time limit (no new inning after) because tomorrows games are all expected to be rained out in VA and the tourney organizers wanted to get in as many games as possible today. Inning ends at 58 minutes, coach of team ahead comes out and asks if the game is over I say "no, we're 2 minutes under the limit." He says "home cooking every time." I tell him to go back to the dugout which he does for about 30 seconds. Then he's out again asking to see the game clock. I tell him that it malfunctioned and that I had to use my watch. I also tell him that I didn't appreciate his home cooking comment. He said "That's what it was." I said yor're restricted to the dugout for the rest of the game.

Funny thing is my home town is the town his team comes from, and I've umped his girls in the rec league the last 2 years. He didn't know that. Later, I went over to one of the 12U coaches for the same travel team, who I have known for a couple of years, and asked him to inform the 14U coach that I am from the same town as his team. He laughed.

Our UIC has asked us to bench restrict rather than eject where possible. I think it was appropriate not to toss him. I chalk it up to his inexperience and impulsivity and hope he learns.

Any comments?
Old Sun Apr 15, 2007, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTQ_Blue
He says "home cooking every time." I tell him to go back to the dugout which he does for about 30 seconds. Then he's out again asking to see the game clock. I tell him that it malfunctioned and that I had to use my watch. I also tell him that I didn't appreciate his home cooking comment. He said "That's what it was." I said yor're restricted to the dugout for the rest of the game.

Funny thing is my home town is the town his team comes from, and I've umped his girls in the rec league the last 2 years. He didn't know that. Later, I went over to one of the 12U coaches for the same travel team, who I have known for a couple of years, and asked him to inform the 14U coach that I am from the same town as his team. He laughed.

Our UIC has asked us to bench restrict rather than eject where possible. I think it was appropriate not to toss him. I chalk it up to his inexperience and impulsivity and hope he learns.

Any comments?
I chalk this up to your inexperience.......

Too much talking on your part. Why would you bring up the home cooking comment a second time and tell him you didn't appreciate his comment? You were inviting trouble. Deal with it once and move on...don't let it get to you like it did.

Just say, "Coach, that's enough of that!" OR, if you want to be an a-hole and get the coach to ask you to toss him say "Coach, are you saying that I'm cheating?" If he says "yes" then toss him and don't restrict him to the bench.....no more problems. Either way don't say something like "Coach you really hurt my feelings when you made that comment."

Why, after the game, did you care if the coach knew that you were from the same town as him? Don't let things like that bother you so much.
Old Sun Apr 15, 2007, 01:02am
Official Forum Member

Yup. Too wordy..and you shouldnt tell him where youre from..because he REALLY doesnt care..... hes just trying to get to you....and he did, because you got defensive right away.

If they question your integrity... EJECT.
Old Sun Apr 15, 2007, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In my third year of umpiring, but first year doing travel ball (NSA) I finally put a coach on the bench today. First time ever, still no ejection.

14U tourney game, on an hour time limit (no new inning after) because tomorrows games are all expected to be rained out in VA and the tourney organizers wanted to get in as many games as possible today. Inning ends at 58 minutes, coach of team ahead comes out and asks if the game is over I say "no, we're 2 minutes under the limit." He says "home cooking every time." I tell him to go back to the dugout which he does for about 30 seconds. Then he's out again asking to see the game clock. I tell him that it malfunctioned and that I had to use my watch. I also tell him that I didn't appreciate his home cooking comment. He said "That's what it was." I said yor're restricted to the dugout for the rest of the game.

Any comments?
Restrict to bench? Hell, only in HS/MS and that is for non-softball reasons.

If an individual hit the line and then stepped over it, you should dump them. Restricting them to the bench provides no repercussion for their actions and likely sets the umpire up for further trouble.

This point became so obvious a couple of years ago that ASA now mandates and ejected player/coach/manager leave the grounds and have no contact with the umpires or any participating in the game.

I cannot find anything in the NSA book referring to bench restrictions or disaulifications, nor any direction on ejections. Then again, it is my opinion that NSA over does it on the ejections.
Old Sun Apr 15, 2007, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

DTQ,
Like the others have said -
1-You did too much talking
but
2-That coach just said that you cheat and you can't be trusted

Gotta dump that coach.
Old Sun Apr 15, 2007, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Any comments?
Your UIC is setting you up for problems. This is horrible advice, and even worse coming from someone who is supposedly in charge of things.

As to the restriction/ejection? You waited to long. "Home cooking..." bye bye. He's calling you a liar and a cheat. That's a no-warning first-offense ejection every time.