The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 12, 2007, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Pre-Game Meeting: Warm-up pitches

NFHS Game. At conclusion of pre-game meeting, PU declares, "Five warm-up pitches for the first inning, then three warm-up pitches for the other innings - to speed the game along."

Both the NFHS and ASA(FP) rules allow 1 min. max for no more than 5 warmup pitches for all inning. Is the PU allowed to change this rule (to reduce the number of warm-up pitches) on his own? The game did not start late, and there were no impending weather or darkness issues to deal with, so I don't understand why the PU was concerned with 'speeding the game up.' Do any of you make this type of declaration in pre-game?
Old Thu Apr 12, 2007, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
If the Minnesota weather is typical, I will let the pitchers tell me when they are ready for the first inning only - they usually are ready anyway, and just take five. Then, I will let the catcher know that five will be the max for the rest of the game. We start most of our games at 4:15, so sunlight isn't an issue. Maybe the umpire had another commitment?

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Thu Apr 12, 2007, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoot
NFHS Game. At conclusion of pre-game meeting, PU declares, "Five warm-up pitches for the first inning, then three warm-up pitches for the other innings - to speed the game along."

Both the NFHS and ASA(FP) rules allow 1 min. max for no more than 5 warmup pitches for all inning. Is the PU allowed to change this rule (to reduce the number of warm-up pitches) on his own? The game did not start late, and there were no impending weather or darkness issues to deal with, so I don't understand why the PU was concerned with 'speeding the game up.' Do any of you make this type of declaration in pre-game?
No. I would never dream of it. The players are entitled to what the rule book states, which is five pitches or one minute, whichever comes first. You should have mentioned this to this PU in confidence.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Apr 12, 2007, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

As a former pitcher myself, I always *hated* it when an umpire would reduce my number of warm-up pitches allowed by ASA (no more than 3). It only presents the appearance that the umpire wants to get the game over with as fast as possible so he can get home and soak in the tub.

As such, I always allow pitchers up to 3 warm-up pitches before each and every inning, so long as they don't take their sweet time getting to the mound. In rec games, I allow both pitchers to throw about 5-7 warm-up pitches in the first inning, but only 3 in each subsequent inning.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Thu Apr 12, 2007, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
As a former pitcher myself, I always *hated* it when an umpire would reduce my number of warm-up pitches allowed by ASA (no more than 3). It only presents the appearance that the umpire wants to get the game over with as fast as possible so he can get home and soak in the tub.

As such, I always allow pitchers up to 3 warm-up pitches before each and every inning, so long as they don't take their sweet time getting to the mound. In rec games, I allow both pitchers to throw about 5-7 warm-up pitches in the first inning, but only 3 in each subsequent inning.
You must be talking about SP, correct? Cause if you're only allowing them "up to 3" you're reducing the number allowed (in FP).
Old Thu Apr 12, 2007, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by argodad
You must be talking about SP, correct? Cause if you're only allowing them "up to 3" you're reducing the number allowed (in FP).
Oops. Yep, I do SP and SP only. Call me a glutton for punishment.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Thu Apr 12, 2007, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
Oops. Yep, I do SP and SP only. Call me a glutton for punishment.
Okay. You are a glutton for punishment!

Old Thu Apr 12, 2007, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to umpire503
Let's hustle in & out, guys!

[B]I am also confused. NHFS Rule 6-2-c (exc.) states; "The starting pitchers may warm up by using not more than eight throws, completed in one minute(timed from the first throw). When a pitcher is replaced during an inning or prior to an inning, the relief pitcher may not use more than eight throws. At the beginning of each subsequent inning, the pitcher may warm up by using not more than five throws, compleated in one minute..."
I always allow the starting pitchers eight throws in the first, than five. Do I have a regional "New England" rule book? I think not. Also, during spring/fall ball, when the temp. is below 40, I allow them to "warm" up as long as they need, although I have never had any pitcher use more than eight. /B]
Old Thu Apr 12, 2007, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpire503
[B]I am also confused. NHFS Rule 6-2-c (exc.) states; "The starting pitchers may warm up by using not more than eight throws, completed in one minute(timed from the first throw). When a pitcher is replaced during an inning or prior to an inning, the relief pitcher may not use more than eight throws. At the beginning of each subsequent inning, the pitcher may warm up by using not more than five throws, compleated in one minute..."
I always allow the starting pitchers eight throws in the first, than five. Do I have a regional "New England" rule book? I think not. Also, during spring/fall ball, when the temp. is below 40, I allow them to "warm" up as long as they need, although I have never had any pitcher use more than eight. /B]
Is this the 2007 Rules Book? The only rule governing warm-ups that I can find in the book is rule 6 article 5.

Old Thu Apr 12, 2007, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpire503
I always allow the starting pitchers eight throws in the first, than five. Do I have a regional "New England" rule book?
No - you have a high school Baseball rule book. This is a softball board.

WMB
Old Thu Apr 12, 2007, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestMichBlue

WMB
That's what that is!!!!

Old Fri Apr 13, 2007, 03:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestMichBlue

WMB

I was wondering WTH he was talking about.......knew without looking that it wasnt a Fed Softball book....
Old Sat Apr 14, 2007, 02:45am
Official Forum Member

I am hard and fast on between innings/warm up pitches. They have one minute. I am not sitting there with a watch in my hands, but I know how long a minute is. I also know what dawdling is. I'm usually not a ******* when it is with younger groups, but the older they are - or in HS varsity - they best be busting their butts to get out there. Once this year I had a HS team that took well over a minute to get out on the field, and pitcher was last one out. She was *shocked* when I announced "Play Ball." the coach of course had the ultimate argument: "Nobody else has called that on us all year." Of course he could have been right...but he would be the first one to have been right.

Anyway, bounce outta the dugout and you can have five. Dink around for 45 seconds trying to find gloves or a "practice ball" for the right fielder, and ya might get one pitch.

Why am I so hard and fast? If you have them dinking around while you are over chatting up a coach or a cute mom and taking two minutes between each half inning, that's well over 7 minutes you have wasted. If you're in a tournament with 1:20 time limits, that's an inning. With crappy weather like much of the country has experienced so far this year, innings are precious.

If you're in school ball with no time limits, that's 7 minutes earlier your butt is off the field and closing in on the hot tub.

You don't have to be a prick about it, and you don't have to set artificial limits. Just urge them to get a move on by whatever legal means necessary.
Old Sat Apr 14, 2007, 07:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones
I am hard and fast on between innings/warm up pitches. They have one minute. I am not sitting there with a watch in my hands, but I know how long a minute is. I also know what dawdling is. I'm usually not a ******* when it is with younger groups, but the older they are - or in HS varsity - they best be busting their butts to get out there. Once this year I had a HS team that took well over a minute to get out on the field, and pitcher was last one out. She was *shocked* when I announced "Play Ball." the coach of course had the ultimate argument: "Nobody else has called that on us all year." Of course he could have been right...but he would be the first one to have been right.

Anyway, bounce outta the dugout and you can have five. Dink around for 45 seconds trying to find gloves or a "practice ball" for the right fielder, and ya might get one pitch.

Why am I so hard and fast? If you have them dinking around while you are over chatting up a coach or a cute mom and taking two minutes between each half inning, that's well over 7 minutes you have wasted. If you're in a tournament with 1:20 time limits, that's an inning. With crappy weather like much of the country has experienced so far this year, innings are precious.

If you're in school ball with no time limits, that's 7 minutes earlier your butt is off the field and closing in on the hot tub.

You don't have to be a prick about it, and you don't have to set artificial limits. Just urge them to get a move on by whatever legal means necessary.

very well said ......
Old Sat Apr 14, 2007, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

That's if you allow only one team to delay. Since both teams might do the same if you allowed it, you have now wasted 13 or 14 of 80 minutes in your 1:20 time limit.

I'm all about that. It just KILLS me that we have no authority in NCAA, and the typical 2:15 Div I game generally includes 3-4 minutes every half inning. Give us the 1 minute rule in NCAA, and most games would play in 1:45 or so, instead.