Thread: Questions
View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 06, 2007, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M
1-"My first question is about mechanics. R1 on first, stealing second. The pitch gets away from the catcher, either a WP or a PB (doesn't matter). Who takes the runner to third in this situation? Do I, as a BU, chase the runner to third? If so, do I stay outside, or do I come inside? Last year, I found myself chasing runners from the outside many times, and even though I am able to hustle enough to do that, it still didn't just feel quite right."

For Fed, the responsibility (with no other runners on) of R1 at 3B on this play belongs to the plate ump. In an organization where the responsibility is the base ump's, the plate ump must be ready to help, 'cuz BU can't always get where he needs to be to make a valid call. But in that organization, the plate ump is helping & the responsibility is the base ump's. In Fed, it belongs to the plate ump.
When I am the base ump, I will stay outside. If I go inside, I will be too far behind R1 and will not be able to get the angle I want. But, I am able to outrun the vast majority of the players I see.
Steve's a little faster than most of us and likes to show off.

Speaking ASA, when there is a passed/dropped ball, the PU's priority is 1) avoid a collision with F2, 2) find the ball and 3) move to a position which will not interfere with the defense attempting to make a play. Your scenario needs to be the BU's call. It's not that big of a deal as there is only one runner.

Moving inside is where the BU needs to go, but not toward 3B. Head toward the 3B side of the PP. This will give you a great angle and allow you to see any possible play no matter where the throw originates. This is the same mechanic a BU would use on a wild throw to 2B on a steal attempt.