Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

2-Man Mechanics for a Beginner

Hi all,

This is my first year working youth softball. I've been around the game for some time (my sister has played for several years now) and due to having done a lot of basketball (I'm pretty active on the basketball forum here), I was asked this year if I would help umpire some games. I jumped on the opportunity as I love the sport. But that's really all beside the point....I've read the rulebook through and through, and have been working bases for a slow-pitch league (really relaxed and laid back, but invaluable as far as learning positioning). The one question that nags me is this.

I'm BU, runners on 1st and 2nd, I'm in C-slot (which I believe is right, but correct me if I'm wrong). Batter pops the ball up, and it lands in front of the plate, where F2 fields the ball, and attempts to put batter-runner out at 1B. My question is, often time I feel as if I'm in a bad position to make this call from all the way over at C-slot. How do you get in position to make this call?