The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 24, 2007, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

I obviously wasn't there. BUT it does seem odd that he picked that particular time to offer his condolences. He must have passed her several times during the game. Why did it take him that long to approach her. He could have done that pre-game game or later. Still would have been in bad taste, but seems odd it occurred that late, and in a crucial part of the game JMO.
Old Tue Apr 24, 2007, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
I have two updates to give you guys.

First, I had Huntington tonight . . . the coach who made the comment that started the fire storm was there and we talked for a few minutes. Again, he apologized for the entire situation and for any problems that it may have caused me. He told me that he met with the principal, who said according to my report there was nothing the coach did wrong except display poor judgement in timing for his statement. However, they agreed that something needed to be done internally and the coach served a "self-imposed" two game suspension. I felt that was pretty good for Huntington to do.

As far as the AD goes - he strikes back from the grave! LOL

In WV we have sectionals, then regional semi-finals and then regional finals to determine the state champions. I have what I believe is the best sectional in the state. I worked the three teams in this section the other night - they are ranked 1, 2 & 3 in class AA in WV and tradionally beat even the AAA teams. I had also been asked to work a regional semi by South Charleston - Riverside (where the AD is from) is in the region, but not guaranteed to be in the semi-final. The AD from S. Charleston sent the names of the umpires to all four schools in the region . . . can you guess what happened? Riverside's AD asked him as a courtesy to scratch me and as a professional courtesy he's going to do that. I do understand the SC AD's position and that he's caught in the middle. I did explain my side of the situation to him and he is supposed to make his final decision tomorrow . . . but I'm sure it's a done deal. I wonder how many other AD's he's going to call and ask for this "courtesy" in the regular season and in basketball?

I am PRAYING that I'll get to work the state tournament and that they will be there! Now THAT would be funny!

On a side light, the head coach from Riverside called me this morning to tell me that all of this was out of his hands - and it is. I made sure to tell him that I hold no ill-will toward him or his girls and that I know where the problem lies. It was a good conversation.

So there ya go . . . you are now up-to-date.
When the umpires get a list of coaches and administrators, let us know if you scratch anyone, okay?

BTW, that is not an issue to be considered as a "professional courtesy", it is the act of cowardice and the AD which makes a decision to scratch ANY qualified umpire isn't much better.

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Tue Apr 24, 2007 at 11:02am.
Old Tue Apr 24, 2007, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
When the umpires get a list of coaches and administrators, let us know if you scratch anyone, okay?

BTW, that is not an issue to be considered as a "professional courtesy", it is the act of cowardice and the AD which makes a decision to scratch ANY qualified umpire isn't much better.
I have never scratched a school and never would - at least at this point can't think of why I would. Our association gives each COACH 2 scratches - not the AD's. According to the WVSSAC it's the host's decision on the umpires - not the other teams in the region.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.