The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Question

As a non-referee, I enjoy the insight that this forum provides, especially in understanding rules interpretations for situations that do not happen on a regular basis.

I have a question regarding such a situation that occurred late in the Illinois-Michigan State game. In case you didn't see the game, here is what happened:

Illinois player has possession of ball and Michigan State defender commits common foul (MSU not yet over the limit).
Illinois player is then charged with a technical for throwing his elbow at the MSU player. MSU shoots the two free throws for the T and is awarded the ball at half court.

My question is this: I thought that the NCAA changed its rules so that there was no change of possession as a result of a technical. If this were the case, Illinois would have maintained possession. What am I missing? Thx.

[Edited by aces88 on Feb 2nd, 2005 at 09:44 AM]
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

If it's a technical foul on a player for intentional contact, it isn't a POI situation. The opposing team gets 2 shots and the ball.

EDIT: All contact technical fouls are either intentional or flagrant.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Feb 2nd, 2005 at 05:53 PM]
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aces88
Illinois player is then charged with a technical for throwing his elbow at the MSU player. Illinois shoots the two free throws for the T and is awarded the ball at half court.
Sounds like a good strategy -- commit a T, get shots and the ball.

Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Talking Oops!

Sounds like a good strategy -- commit a T, get shots and the ball.

Sorry...MSU shoots the free throws and is awarded possession. I have corrected the original post.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
If it's a direct technical foul on a player for intentional contact, it isn't a POI situation. The opposing team gets 2 shots and the ball.
Are you sure about this is the ruling? Isn't this a false double?
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by BktBallRef

If it's a direct technical foul on a player for intentional contact, it isn't a POI situation. The opposing team gets 2 shots and the ball.

I did some research of my own and found out that the NCAA posts their rules online.

http://www.ncaa.org/library/rules/20...ball_rules.pdf

Rule 10.8.1 lists the penalty for a direct technical foul as two shots to the offended team. The ball is then put back in play at the POI.

Reading further, Rule 10.16 states that the penalty for an intentional technical foul would be two shots to the offended team as well as possession of the ball. Since there was no ejection on the play, this was probably the call.

Thanks for your response.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Bart Tyson originally posted:

Are you sure about this is the ruling? Isn't this a false double?

As defined in Rule 4.26.12, I would say yes.

Further, Rule 8.6.1 states: "After a false double foul, the ball shall be put in play as if the penalty for the last foul of the false double foul were the only one administered." This explains why MSU was awarded possession of the ball.

Thanks.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aces88
Reading further, Rule 10.16 states that the penalty for an intentional technical foul would be two shots to the offended team as well as possession of the ball. Since there was no ejection on the play, this was probably the call.

Thanks for your response.
Of course this was the call. The ball was dead. It was a contact foul. Contact duirng a dead ball is ignored unless it's intentional or flagrant. THe player wasn't ejected, so it wasn't flagrant. The only choice left is "intentional technical foul". 2 shots and the ball.

That's what Tony said.

Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Well, talking about splitting hairs. What is the difference between false double, vs A1 foul followed by B1 (dead ball) push and you assess a intentional T. I guess my question is, how would you destinguish between which one of these two to call?
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
Well, talking about splitting hairs. What is the difference between false double, vs A1 foul followed by B1 (dead ball) push and you assess a intentional T. I guess my question is, how would you destinguish between which one of these two to call?
Bart, I'm not sure what your play is but if B1 fouls A1 followed by contact after the whistle you can ignore it or assess an intentional or flagrant T (as has been said already). If you go with the T then it's not POI (because it's dead ball contact) so A1 shoots his FTs then you penalize the T, 2 shots & the ball at midcourt.

Make sense?
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Dan_ref, I may be wrong, however, isn't the following a false double; B1 is assessed a common foul, now we have a dead ball situation. Now A1 pushes B1 because she didn't like being fouled by B1. Beep, you call a T. (not a intentional T).
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Dan_ref, I may be wrong, however, isn't the following a false double; B1 is assessed a common foul, now we have a dead ball situation. Now A1 pushes B1 because she didn't like being fouled by B1. Beep, you call a T. (not a intentional T).
By ncaa rule (men at least, maybe not women?) dead ball contact is intentional. IOO if you decide to go with the T you can't decide to call it unintentional.

Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

OK then, a false double has to be a Non-contact T? i.e. a unsporting T.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
OK then, a false double has to be a Non-contact T? i.e. a unsporting T.
No, the second foul can be any type of T. It's just handled differently.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

My head hurts.