The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 18, 2007, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Al
working the plate video instruction...

Anyone know where I can get a good illustrated instruction video for working behind the plate (softball fast-pitch) and working the bases? I'm interested in proper machanics with illustrations and comments? Before I buy any videos I think it would be wise to get opinions from people who know what is good and what is not. Maybe someone has some good ones for sale. I always learn more by visually seeing than by reading. Any help appreciated ...AL
Old Sun Mar 18, 2007, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
I don't know about video, but the federation has a computer program that is pretty good. You can set up about any senario and it will run through the mechanics of the situation for base and plate umpires in 2, 3 and I think 4-man crews. You can slow it down and basically go step by step if you want. I think it's about $40 or maybe less - I purchased it for our local board a few years ago when I was serving as our rules interpreter. While it's not perfect it is pretty good and IMO worth the price.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 03:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
I don't know about video, but the federation has a computer program that is pretty good. You can set up about any senario and it will run through the mechanics of the situation for base and plate umpires in 2, 3 and I think 4-man crews. You can slow it down and basically go step by step if you want. I think it's about $40 or maybe less - I purchased it for our local board a few years ago when I was serving as our rules interpreter. While it's not perfect it is pretty good and IMO worth the price.

ASA has same thing...maybe even a better one now than the NFHS (haven't seen the NFHS, but the new ASA is very good).
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

NCAA also has one that is supposed to be very good. It can be found here.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones
ASA has same thing...maybe even a better one now than the NFHS (haven't seen the NFHS, but the new ASA is very good).
My thanks to both of you,

I am a little behind the curve when it comes to computer knowledge. Do the computer programs come in disk form? I was looking on the www but couldn't find any software to download or computer pragrams via Cd's for sale. What you're both telling me about is just the thing I'm looking for. If possible could someone provide me with a link where I could order one of the programs? I searched "Computer program machanics for fast pitch softball umpires" and similar searches where I found some good stuff... but not the programs spoken of. If a program like this spares me, or my partner, just one time from having the wrong angle, etc. and blowing a call it would be well worth the price. I know it will go beyond one blown call since I have so much to learn. This is my only my 3rd year, (mostly coach-pitch, tee-ball) but just as last year I am going to have a partner or two that have even less experence than I do so I will have to give some basic training. Man, I wish I could be learning on and off the field with good umpires like on this board. What I see here (not with the baseball umpires, but with softball) is no communication, no hussle, no disire for improvement. It's not fair to the kids, parents, coaches, or the fans. The last thing I want to be is the blind leading the blind. Nothin' like fun at the ole' ball park. ...Al
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
NCAA also has one that is supposed to be very good. It can be found here.

Thanks Scott,

I will go to check it out now. I didn't see your post till after I posted.
I'm looking forward to this year as I love the game! Softball is the best game in the world! Later, ..Al
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

I just ordered the Cd...by phone. The man said they are getting a lot of orders..(more than usual) He said to thank you guys for directing me to his site. He also mentioned the Cd will arrive to my home by Thursday the latest. The price was only 12.95 plus 4.95 shipping. Thanks again guys, ..Al

http://www.amateurumpire.com/reviews/epicsoft.htm
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al
I just ordered the Cd...by phone. The man said they are getting a lot of orders..(more than usual) He said to thank you guys for directing me to his site. He also mentioned the Cd will arrive to my home by Thursday the latest. The price was only 12.95 plus 4.95 shipping. Thanks again guys, ..Al

http://www.amateurumpire.com/reviews/epicsoft.htm
Hey Al, have you gotten this yet? If so, how is it?

Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
I have had that cd for about 3 years now. It seems to cover 2 and 3 man mechanics real well. Dave
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Hey Scott,

Yes, I got the Cd on Saturday. (mail is pretty slow here in Tenn.) I like the Cd because it allows one to see what the proper machanics should be for both the field umpire and the plate umpire when the batter hits an infield ground ball, a hit, a flyball to left/right/center, a drive to right field, a bunt, in various runners on base. One can simply click from a drop down command to make the batter do what he/she wants and also set up the bases as he/she wants them... such as a man on first, second, third, or any combination thereof including bases loaded. After the ball is hit it will move the umpires to their best positions for success in the unfolding play. Another nice feature is one can click on an umpire and it gives some more instruction (written) which can add to one's skill in working with his/her partner depending how a play unfolds.

The three man machanics is over my head, but I'll probably never work with more than one partner. For me this Cd has already taught me a couple of things and I'll learn more as I use it. But to many on the board I think it may not offer anything that has not already been mastered.

...Al
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

What I am wondering here is do you feel that it is something that can be used and would be useful in the instruction of new umpires in a clinic setting?

Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Our local association uses the video from officiating .com for Little League 60 foot bases. It is very good for new umpires who just want the basics of how to work the plate and bases.
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
What I am wondering here is do you feel that it is something that can be used and would be useful in the instruction of new umpires in a clinic setting?
I think so Scott,

The clinic I attended this spring did not go very well. I came away thinking I didn't really learn very much. We went over a couple of rule changes that took a good amount of time. There was a couple of hundred umpires in the class and many times three or four of them talking at the same time. A lot of time was spent on things that I, and others as well, thought was of little value to most.

I think this Cd, if presented by someone with good skills in teaching, would have especially helped new umpires focus on how important good machanics are when working with a partner (or alone.) Of course, the Cd is for fast-pitch where the play level would produce the situations that the disk addresses.

If it doesn't rain tomorror I'll be working the plate for an 11/under girls fast-pitch scrimmage game. I was watching other scrimmage games where the umpire called the game from behind the circle. I talked to both coaches of tomorrow night's game and both said they want me behind the plate and not to worry about the calls at the bases. They have some girls that are fresh from coach-pitch and want them to get the feel of an umpire calling strikes and balls from behind the plate before the game opener next week. ...Al
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al
I was watching other scrimmage games where the umpire called the game from behind the circle.
The only reason I would call from behind the circle is when I call a game without equipment. (Yeah, yeah, I know, black heresy ). You only can see half the infield at a time from behind the circle, without a base ump there's just too much that goes unseen.
Old Fri Mar 30, 2007, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferMC
The only reason I would call from behind the circle is when I call a game without equipment. (Yeah, yeah, I know, black heresy ). You only can see half the infield at a time from behind the circle, without a base ump there's just too much that goes unseen.
Hey JefferMC,

Last night after about 45 minutes behind the dish I found out just how difficult it is on the legs. I have taken Mike's advice and spent some time in front of the TV calling games. I'm glad I did but I guess my near 57 year old legs needed more than that. Some of the players were too short for my tired knees to get low enough to work the slot without having to kneel on one knee. The game went for 1 hour and 15 minutes, but thankfully in the last half hour I had only one play that required me to run to get proper position for a call at second base. I don't know how some of you guys can work several games behind the plate on the same day! I expect to umpire two games of girls fast-pitch once a week so I will need do some leg exercises. Perhaps someone has some good advice on what works best to increase leg strength. ...Al