The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 06:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to eric.young
Free Throw Lane Instruction

Okay folks need your opinion on this....I was officiating a basketball game and the defending team kept lining up in the wrong spot. They were occupying the lane space nearest the shooter which is a violation. I chose not to inform the offending team, because frankly they have a coach who should know the rule. What would you all have done? I might add that the offending teams player were whining the entire game about every single call......this may have affected my judgement.....but i chose in this instance to apply the rule.....thoughts?
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 07:19am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric.young
1) I was officiating a basketball game and the defending team kept lining up in the wrong spot. They were occupying the lane space nearest the shooter which is a violation. I chose not to inform the offending team, because frankly they have a coach who should know the rule. What would you all have done?

2)I might add that the offending teams player were whining the entire game about every single call......this may have affected my judgement.....but i chose in this instance to apply the rule.....thoughts?
1) Tell 'em once- loudly- that they can't use the fourth spot. Call a violation each time they do so.

2) They were whining the entire game on every single call because you let them, Eric. Iow you've got nobody to blame but yourself. It should be one warning per player to stop whining, then a technical foul after that if they don't want to listen to you. Nip it, nip it in the bud. If you don't want to do something about unsporting behavior, then don't complain about it.

Welcome to the forum-- all the way from Germany.
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Okay folks need your opinion on this....I was officiating a basketball game and the defending team kept lining up in the wrong spot. They were occupying the lane space nearest the shooter which is a violation. I chose not to inform the offending team, because frankly they have a coach who should know the rule. What would you all have done? I might add that the offending teams player were whining the entire game about every single call......this may have affected my judgement.....but i chose in this instance to apply the rule.....thoughts?
Correct it and don't let it happen. That is the responsibility of the Lead official. If you want to be a hard guy that is your choice. If you think it is really becoming an issue talk to the offending coach.
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

First time tell the player, second time tell the speaking captain to take care of it, third time tell the coach. After that, let them line up there, and then call the violation EVERY time!

As for the whining. Warn them once, and make sure the Head Coach knows too. Communicate with your co-officials that the offending team has been warned. After that, hit them with what they deserve . . . "Technical Fouls."
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

What bigdogrunnin said. Great process to follow. Use positive communication skills and then follow through consistently. They WILL adjust quickly!
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 01:40pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef
Correct it and don't let it happen. That is the responsibility of the Lead official. If you want to be a hard guy that is your choice. If you think it is really becoming an issue talk to the offending coach.
I'm with you. I'm not letting it happen, ever.
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 01:52pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

What level ball is this? You generally need only tell MS kids one time if at all. Occasionally in a HS game, you might have to remind a given player. But I've never seen it become a real problem. Tell them to move; if they don't, give the ball to the shooter and signal a delayed violation. If the shooter makes the shot, take a moment to tell the coach what's going on. If the shooter misses, you'll get your chance when he questions the lane violation when his players weren't moving.
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 02:40pm

I see no reason in calling a violation on the FT line. Don't give the shooter the ball if you see they are lined up wrong. That's border line your fault. Keep moving them out until they get it, they eventually will. I remember when this rule was changed. I had to do this quite a bit, and still on occasion have to tell a player you can't be there. Make sure everyone is correct on the F/T lane lines b4 you give shooter the ball. Simple. If you give the shooter the ball and they step in afterwards, that's a violation, no matter what lane spot they step into.
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
I'm with you. I'm not letting it happen, ever.
Me too.

Just tell the player to beat it.
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 06:33am
Official Forum Member

Smile Thanks point taken

Thanks this helps and im glad i joined the forum.....and next time ill do just what you suggested....warn em once and then its a technical......thanks for the input.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
1) Tell 'em once- loudly- that they can't use the fourth spot. Call a violation each time they do so.

2) They were whining the entire game on every single call because you let them, Eric. Iow you've got nobody to blame but yourself. It should be one warning per player to stop whining, then a technical foul after that if they don't want to listen to you. Nip it, nip it in the bud. If you don't want to do something about unsporting behavior, then don't complain about it.

Welcome to the forum-- all the way from Germany.
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 06:35am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Unit level basketball in germany

In Germany we play unit level basketball using NCAA rules and guidelines.....these are adults...soldiers who like to complain, whine and moan...but with all the good input, I now have a strategy to handle this......thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
What level ball is this? You generally need only tell MS kids one time if at all. Occasionally in a HS game, you might have to remind a given player. But I've never seen it become a real problem. Tell them to move; if they don't, give the ball to the shooter and signal a delayed violation. If the shooter makes the shot, take a moment to tell the coach what's going on. If the shooter misses, you'll get your chance when he questions the lane violation when his players weren't moving.
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 09:38am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Not a technical. It's a free throw violation. With this level of ball, I'd warn once, loudly, and call the violation next time. If they don't ever get it, then their opponent will make 100% of their free throws. Calling the violation once will save more time than it takes to slow the game down and move them each time.
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 09:41am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
In Germany we play unit level basketball using NCAA rules and guidelines...
That explains it.

I'm retired military. I ref at an Air Force base, Army base, and a Navy base. Once or twice every evening (2-3 games) we have to tell someone to move off the top block. Also at least once an evening we have to move an extra offensive player from the free-throw lane. By the end of the season you probably won't have that problem anymore. In the environment (intra-murals) you are working it is not something worthy of tech.

Quote:
soldiers who like to complain, whine and moan
Again, something handled differently b/c of the environment you are working. My warnings consist of: "Are you serious?", "Quit whining!", "You need to get in the weight room", "We can discuss this further outside the gym after the game if you would like", "I can show you the rulebook when I see you at work tomorrow", "You're just mad cuss Jones is busting your a$$". My T's are reserved for F-bombs and other words of that ilk.

Last edited by Raymond; Fri Dec 29, 2006 at 10:46am.
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 09:50am
Huck Finn

IMO, intramural (or something similar) basketball on a military base is the absolute bottom of the food chain when it comes to basketball. I agree, just don't let it happen. If it happens that much I would assume the same player has done it more than once. Talk to the player and get them to stop somehow. As far as the whining goes, when you let teams whine in one game, other players are watching and you will always have them whining. If you handle your business, the word will spread.
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 09:53am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
That explains it.

Again, something handled differently b/c of the environment you are working. My warnings consist of: "Are you serious?", "Quit whining!", "You need to get in the weight room", "We can discuss this further outside the gym after the game if you would like", "I can show you the rulebook when I see you at work tomorrow", "You're just mad cuss Jones is busting your a$$". My T's are reserved for F-bombs and other words of that ilk.
I hope nobody jumps on this because this is how things must be done sometimes in intramural games. I still give techs out like candy on Halloween! One time, during an intramural game, a player gave me the double bird while standing in the middle of the lane. That was a slow motion toss!