The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 26, 2004, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

I just completed a game tonight. I experimented with the Gerry Davis stance. I liked it with one problem. With some batters, their hands prevented me from seeing the pitcher's release point. Am I doing something wrong?

Also, any suggestions for late movement by the catcher. I also used the heel-toe set up in the slot. However, I had a catcher that many times set up late and I was stuck. Suggestions????
Old Mon Apr 26, 2004, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Illini_Ref
I just completed a game tonight. I experimented with the Gerry Davis stance. I liked it with one problem. With some batters, their hands prevented me from seeing the pitcher's release point. Am I doing something wrong?

Also, any suggestions for late movement by the catcher. I also used the heel-toe set up in the slot. However, I had a catcher that many times set up late and I was stuck. Suggestions????
Depending upon your height you may have to get a little lower by bending the knees more. I use the wrestlers position and as long as my chin doesn't go below the top of the catchers head, it works well for me. Of course, my elbows are resting on my knees and I'm 6-3. Hope this helped.

Try and figure out the catcher early and go down and get set as late as possible. Some catchers you just have to speak to and explain how important it is to them that you see the pitch. Try, if possible, to get a good set a split second after the catcher has set up, but time enough that you have a good lock before the pitcher releases.With some catchers it's a fight. The good ones make you job so much easier.

If you have tried all this, then like I said, discuss with the catcher the importance of making sure you see the pitch. Some kids aren't schooled in this and it makes for a long night. I have even asked the coach for help sometimes, and once the reply I got back was a new catcher. Good Luck
Old Mon Apr 26, 2004, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

I used to use a "box" stance (ie - heel/toe style), but in the last couple of years, I have used the "scissors", placing one foot ahead of the other, and resting my hands on my knees.

If anyone has no idea what I am talking about, it is the style that MLB Umpires such as Tim Tschida, Larry Young, etc use.

It gives me a great vision of the whole plate, and I don't have to set up until the catcher does so.
Old Tue Apr 27, 2004, 06:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Illini_Ref

If you move back a little bit, you can set up when you want and not worry about the catcher.

Old Tue Apr 27, 2004, 07:04am
Official Forum Member

Can someone please include a picture of the GD stance! I have read the basics of it but just can't grasp it.

Thanks.
Old Tue Apr 27, 2004, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Best Way,

Go to the Home Page of this site and click on Baseball in the left hand column.

Tab down about 2/3 the way until you see the "Free Carl Childress Library".

Click on that Link.

When that Opens go down the articles until you get to the "Gerry Davis Stance" Part 1 and Part 2

Open Part Two first (this takes Adobe 6 and on some machines it takes a long time to open).

Scroll down in the article and you'll see several good phots . . . the one that shows how DEEP to work is the critical one.

Tee
Old Tue Apr 27, 2004, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

heres the link.

childress.officiating.com

included are two pdf files with pictures and stuff, including what to do if your being blocked out and to not move for the catcher
Old Wed Apr 28, 2004, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Positioning.

Catcher should not affect you at all. That is the greatness of the Gerry Davis method.

I've just started using it but I have at least a foot and a half between the back of the catcher's butt and the toes of my feet. If I were to reach out with my hand, I might be able to touch the back of the catcher's helmet.

If the batter's hands interfere with you seeing the release point then you need to move your nose off the inside edge of the plate towards the middle of the plate until you can see.
Old Thu Apr 29, 2004, 07:12am
Official Forum Member

My problem wasn't so much the batter's hands, I adjusted for that. But rather it was the catcher's head ( he worked somewhat high), or his glove sometimes. I really liked the stance, but I sometimes felt that I was blocked out.

My question is this. Using the GD stance should you be able to see the entire plate all of the time? And what should you do with that catcher who works fairly high and close to the plate? Unless you are 7' tall, you are going to get blocked at times.
Old Thu Apr 29, 2004, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Nope!

"Unless you are 7' tall, you are going to get blocked at times."

Completely incorrect statement.

If one assumes that you are working games played by shaving aged players catchers can only set up as close to the plate as the hitter wil allow. (i.e. if the hitter sets up on the back line of the batter's box the catcher is deeper, if the hitter is forward the inverse is true)

Now I am 6'0 . . . I have worked behind catchers that are large (not just tall but also heavy set) and small (short or thin) and never have I not been able to see the entire plate and dirt between the point and the catcher.

First, I suggest that you make sure you are only as low as you are when you place your hands on your knees . . . there is no reason when using the Davis to go any lower (you don't need to squat) if you do this you will now notice your head height is higher than what has been taught previous when using the heel-to-toe.

Second, work DEEPER -- I start out a full three feet back from the catcher and I don't care if he is deep or close himself -- I am always at least 3' back (this is critical, don't do 12" dont do 18" do the whole schmolie).

Third, make darn sure your nose is on the inside corner.

Now I have used the stance for almost two full years and I have NEVER had a problem of not being able to see the entire plate (and more).

Last point, if you have any problems WORK DEEPER -- the only way I saved my self when working behind a HUGE catcher the other day was I went an ADDITONAL 12" BACK

In closing, maybe the Davis stance isn't for you. I hae been able to turn five local umpires on to this change and they all rave about their performance -- it could be that just making a change has help their own concentration and that made them better.

I only know that my last two plate games have been great and my last plate game was the frist plate game in memory when neither dugout said one thing about a ball/strike call AND NOT ONE FAN SAID ONE WORD ABOUT THE ZONE.

(BTW, Game times for FED 7 inning for the games 1:24 and 1:21)

Looks like it works for me.

Tee

Old Thu Apr 29, 2004, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

I guess I overstated my problem. I see the plate with the exception of when the catcher shifts late and to the inside or hte catcher that woks back but likes to really extend his arm.

The GD teaches that you set up early and stay there. I want to totally understand the system, because I loved it.
Old Thu Apr 29, 2004, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up I tried the stance

And I liked it quite a bit. However I was behind a "just this side of useless catcher" who only set up outside on every batter, every pitch. Whether the pitch was to be inside or not. So I had a huge number of pitches where the ball was coming straight at me with no one in the way. It was a real strange feeling and took me much of the game to get over. But after I accepted that the catcher would reach it (only one ball got through)I had no problems. It is so comfortable and easy to do an entire game without the pain the next day. I felt it is great and I will continue to attempt to work it until I can master it.