The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 30, 2007, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Here are a couple of things that can take the wear and tear off your knees:

Instead of adjusting your height just by bending your knees, adjust it by spreading your feet farther apart. With a really short batter, I might have my feet spread 4-5 feet apart. This also allows me to keep my back a little straighter (more up-and-down)- and my back appreciates it!

With your feet spread like that, angle your feet outward, almost like you were pointing your feet down the baselines. When you squat down, much of the stress is then spread to your thighs, instead of just on your knees.

You can experiment with various widths of spread and foot angles to find something more comfortable for you.
Old Sat Mar 31, 2007, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Al
Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan
Here are a couple of things that can take the wear and tear off your knees:

Instead of adjusting your height just by bending your knees, adjust it by spreading your feet farther apart. With a really short batter, I might have my feet spread 4-5 feet apart. This also allows me to keep my back a little straighter (more up-and-down)- and my back appreciates it!

With your feet spread like that, angle your feet outward, almost like you were pointing your feet down the baselines. When you squat down, much of the stress is then spread to your thighs, instead of just on your knees.

You can experiment with various widths of spread and foot angles to find something more comfortable for you.

Thanks BretMan,

That's good advice and I tried it today in front of the TV while watching the Oklahoma / Texas A&M game. Keeping my back more upright really helps put less stress on the knees, and especially just above the knees. Using this technique with the short players will be a great help.

A lot of my problem could have been lessened if I didn't lock into the slot position too soon. That is one mistake I'll not make any longer as holding that position for several more seconds than I should have not only looks bad but will weaken the legs in a hurry. Thanks! ..Al