The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 13, 2007, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

ever forget any gear/equipment ??

I was at the Twins/Cardinals spring game this afternoon and noticed that the few times that the plate umpire needed to clean off the plate, he kicked the dirt off with his shoes.
All I could think was that he forgot to put his brush into his bag ! I doubted that a major league umpire would do that as a result of being lazy.
I have forgotten to bring some gear/equipment with me to a few games over my 50 year career.
The goofiest was leaving my shoes at home and working a game behind the plate with my LL Bean Camp Mocs on !!
Please don't tell me someone here forgot the most important male umpire gear and took a foul ball/passed ball in the "tender spot" ??
Old Tue Mar 13, 2007, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFLguy
I was at the Twins/Cardinals spring game this afternoon and noticed that the few times that the plate umpire needed to clean off the plate, he kicked the dirt off with his shoes.
All I could think was that he forgot to put his brush into his bag ! I doubted that a major league umpire would do that as a result of being lazy.
I have forgotten to bring some gear/equipment with me to a few games over my 50 year career.
The goofiest was leaving my shoes at home and working a game behind the plate with my LL Bean Camp Mocs on !!
Please don't tell me someone here forgot the most important male umpire gear and took a foul ball/passed ball in the "tender spot" ??

No, but I did have to borrow one once after promising I would wash it after I was through!.

I did get a laugh at the expense of a partner once. About the third inning of a baseball game he realized he forgot to install his shinguards. I shouldn't have laughed though. A few weeks later in the second game of a DH, I finally noticed (I was BU) my legs were a bit heavy.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 06:16am
Official Forum Member

Unfortunately, I have worked a plate without the important gear. Took it out of my bag to clean it and left it at home.

I get the second plate, and get the 3rd string catcher because the backup is hurt and they won't work the starter both games.

No cup+Huge 5 hole on the catcher= 2 pretty painful shots.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 07:31am
Official Forum Member

no socks

Once I've forgotten to pack my black socks. I did'nt wear any socks in my shoes when I left home, so I didn't have any with me... Lucky my wife came on time to watch the games, she brought two pair. An ump without socks in his shoes, can't be a good one!

b.t.w.
No one, not even my wife, can or may take things out off my bag. Not even to wash them...

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 07:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFLguy
Gald to see someone else is as old as me...

I have forgotten my brush, borrowed a towel from one of the teams.

BTW, I started by 50th years this year.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

Worst for me was actually football - brought the uniform for a 4:30 7th grade game (I get off work at 4:30 - so this was obviously tight - snuck out a bit early, got dressed in the car). I forgot my football shoes, so I got to wear my black dress shoes. My feet hurt for about a week after that.

Worst in baseball or softball was the day I forgot my neckguard and took one in the Adam's apple.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskers_ump
Gald to see someone else is as old as me...

I have forgotten my brush, borrowed a towel from one of the teams.

BTW, I started by 50th years this year.
Does that mean I have 30 years to go?
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Another I forgot once was a belt. Was with a partner who for health reasons couldn't work the plate, so I was elected. I was gonna go without until I realized I had nowhere to hang the ball bag. The strap on my equipment bag extended just enough to go around! A bit narrow, but it got the job done!

I try and carry at least two of everything in my bag now.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Fortunately I've never forgotten anything important - a brush or indicator is all. I had a partner once that worked two batters before I caught the fact that he forgot his MASK! I immediately called time for his own protection and everyone got a huge laugh. I also had a partner use rope for a belt once but nothing beats the mask!

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

That was me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
- I had a partner once that worked two batters before I caught the fact that he forgot his MASK! I immediately called time for his own protection and everyone got a huge laugh. !
Hey Mountaineer were you my partner that day. My first game of my second season. Pitch comes in and man i am seeing everything REALLY good. Man this year is gonna be a breeze, I see it all. 2nd pitch same thing I am feeling and seeing good. Partner,a grizzled old vet, calls time,and says to me young man take a deep breath and go put a mask on before you break your nose. Hasn't happened since LOL
Old Thu Mar 15, 2007, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Forgot the cup one time. Realized it in the top of the second. Stirke zone went to hell for about three batters. Fortunately, there were no shots to sensitive areas.
Old Thu Mar 15, 2007, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEL
Another I forgot once was a belt. Was with a partner who for health reasons couldn't work the plate, so I was elected. I was gonna go without until I realized I had nowhere to hang the ball bag. The strap on my equipment bag extended just enough to go around! A bit narrow, but it got the job done!

I try and carry at least two of everything in my bag now.
Been there, done that with the belt. Of course, with a K-Mart or a Wal-Mart about every 5 square miles, I just went to local "Mart" and bought another one.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Mar 15, 2007, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

I got a last minute call to fill in for an umpire who was not going to make the game (don't know why - call came from the assignor). It was about 10 minutes before game time and I was about 20 minutes drive from the field.

Grabbed my bag and dashed out. Arrived without a ball bag (which also had the indicator and brush in it) and without a cup. 16U rec doubleheader. I told the home scorekeeper they needed to be my backup on count, outs, etc. Home coach to keep a spare game ball ready. And, I hid behind the catcher!
Old Thu Mar 15, 2007, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by argodad
Forgot the cup one time. Realized it in the top of the second. Stirke zone went to hell for about three batters. Fortunately, there were no shots to sensitive areas.
I was at my car dressing for the plate for a 10u tournament championship game. One of the local coaches that also did some umpiring with our group came by and started chatting with me while I was getting dressed. Because I was chatting with him, I did not go through my normal dressing routine and forgot to insert the cup. Like argodad, I didn't realize it until about the third inning. I was a very nervous umpire behind the plate for the remainder of the game. Being that I am a large man, it is nearly impossible for me to hide behind a 10 year old catcher! I was also fortunate that there were no shots to unprotected regions.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

I was working a h.s. game once with a young guy who forgot his cup but didn't mention it. I would have loaned one for sure! About the third inning, he told me he forgot it, but he took the throat protector off his mask and stuck it in his jock. Luckily, there were no direct hits that day!