The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   ever forget any gear/equipment ?? (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/32738-ever-forget-any-gear-equipment.html)

SWFLguy Tue Mar 13, 2007 07:17pm

ever forget any gear/equipment ??

I was at the Twins/Cardinals spring game this afternoon and noticed that the few times that the plate umpire needed to clean off the plate, he kicked the dirt off with his shoes.
All I could think was that he forgot to put his brush into his bag ! I doubted that a major league umpire would do that as a result of being lazy.
I have forgotten to bring some gear/equipment with me to a few games over my 50 year career.
The goofiest was leaving my shoes at home and working a game behind the plate with my LL Bean Camp Mocs on !!
Please don't tell me someone here forgot the most important male umpire gear and took a foul ball/passed ball in the "tender spot" ??

JEL Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SWFLguy
I was at the Twins/Cardinals spring game this afternoon and noticed that the few times that the plate umpire needed to clean off the plate, he kicked the dirt off with his shoes.
All I could think was that he forgot to put his brush into his bag ! I doubted that a major league umpire would do that as a result of being lazy.
I have forgotten to bring some gear/equipment with me to a few games over my 50 year career.
The goofiest was leaving my shoes at home and working a game behind the plate with my LL Bean Camp Mocs on !!
Please don't tell me someone here forgot the most important male umpire gear and took a foul ball/passed ball in the "tender spot" ??

No, but I did have to borrow one once after promising I would wash it after I was through!.

I did get a laugh at the expense of a partner once. About the third inning of a baseball game he realized he forgot to install his shinguards. I shouldn't have laughed though. A few weeks later in the second game of a DH, I finally noticed (I was BU) my legs were a bit heavy.

DonInKansas Wed Mar 14, 2007 06:16am

Unfortunately, I have worked a plate without the important gear. Took it out of my bag to clean it and left it at home.

I get the second plate, and get the 3rd string catcher because the backup is hurt and they won't work the starter both games.

No cup+Huge 5 hole on the catcher= 2 pretty painful shots.

Dutch Alex Wed Mar 14, 2007 07:31am

no socks

Once I've forgotten to pack my black socks. I did'nt wear any socks in my shoes when I left home, so I didn't have any with me... Lucky my wife came on time to watch the games, she brought two pair. An ump without socks in his shoes, can't be a good one!

b.t.w.
No one, not even my wife, can or may take things out off my bag. Not even to wash them...

whiskers_ump Wed Mar 14, 2007 07:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SWFLguy

Gald to see someone else is as old as me...:D

I have forgotten my brush, borrowed a towel from one of the teams.

BTW, I started by 50th years this year.

mcrowder Wed Mar 14, 2007 08:02am

Worst for me was actually football - brought the uniform for a 4:30 7th grade game (I get off work at 4:30 - so this was obviously tight - snuck out a bit early, got dressed in the car). I forgot my football shoes, so I got to wear my black dress shoes. My feet hurt for about a week after that.

Worst in baseball or softball was the day I forgot my neckguard and took one in the Adam's apple.

CecilOne Wed Mar 14, 2007 08:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiskers_ump
Gald to see someone else is as old as me...:D

I have forgotten my brush, borrowed a towel from one of the teams.

BTW, I started by 50th years this year.

Does that mean I have 30 years to go? ;)

JEL Wed Mar 14, 2007 09:20pm

Another I forgot once was a belt. Was with a partner who for health reasons couldn't work the plate, so I was elected. I was gonna go without until I realized I had nowhere to hang the ball bag. The strap on my equipment bag extended just enough to go around! A bit narrow, but it got the job done!

I try and carry at least two of everything in my bag now.

Mountaineer Wed Mar 14, 2007 09:45pm

Fortunately I've never forgotten anything important - a brush or indicator is all. I had a partner once that worked two batters before I caught the fact that he forgot his MASK! I immediately called time for his own protection and everyone got a huge laugh. I also had a partner use rope for a belt once but nothing beats the mask!

Chess Ref Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:59pm

That was me

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mountaineer
- I had a partner once that worked two batters before I caught the fact that he forgot his MASK! I immediately called time for his own protection and everyone got a huge laugh. !

Hey Mountaineer were you my partner that day. My first game of my second season. Pitch comes in and man i am seeing everything REALLY good. Man this year is gonna be a breeze, I see it all. 2nd pitch same thing I am feeling and seeing good. Partner,a grizzled old vet, calls time,and says to me young man take a deep breath and go put a mask on before you break your nose. Hasn't happened since LOL

argodad Thu Mar 15, 2007 09:14am

Forgot the cup one time. Realized it in the top of the second. Stirke zone went to hell for about three batters. Fortunately, there were no shots to sensitive areas.

Skahtboi Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JEL
Another I forgot once was a belt. Was with a partner who for health reasons couldn't work the plate, so I was elected. I was gonna go without until I realized I had nowhere to hang the ball bag. The strap on my equipment bag extended just enough to go around! A bit narrow, but it got the job done!

I try and carry at least two of everything in my bag now.

Been there, done that with the belt. Of course, with a K-Mart or a Wal-Mart about every 5 square miles, I just went to local "Mart" and bought another one.

Dakota Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:27am

I got a last minute call to fill in for an umpire who was not going to make the game (don't know why - call came from the assignor). It was about 10 minutes before game time and I was about 20 minutes drive from the field.

Grabbed my bag and dashed out. Arrived without a ball bag (which also had the indicator and brush in it) and without a cup. 16U rec:eek: doubleheader. I told the home scorekeeper they needed to be my backup on count, outs, etc. Home coach to keep a spare game ball ready. And, I hid behind the catcher! ;)

Andy Thu Mar 15, 2007 01:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by argodad
Forgot the cup one time. Realized it in the top of the second. Stirke zone went to hell for about three batters. Fortunately, there were no shots to sensitive areas.

I was at my car dressing for the plate for a 10u tournament championship game. One of the local coaches that also did some umpiring with our group came by and started chatting with me while I was getting dressed. Because I was chatting with him, I did not go through my normal dressing routine and forgot to insert the cup. Like argodad, I didn't realize it until about the third inning. I was a very nervous umpire behind the plate for the remainder of the game. Being that I am a large man, it is nearly impossible for me to hide behind a 10 year old catcher! I was also fortunate that there were no shots to unprotected regions.

cardinalfan Mon Mar 19, 2007 08:34am

I was working a h.s. game once with a young guy who forgot his cup but didn't mention it. I would have loaned one for sure! About the third inning, he told me he forgot it, but he took the throat protector off his mask and stuck it in his jock. Luckily, there were no direct hits that day!