Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 10, 2006, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Let us not forget.

Old Mon Sep 11, 2006, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

GOD BLESS AMERICA - 343!!!!!!

I would like to tell you all a quick story. It has nothing to do with basketball officiating and all to do with 9/11. On 9/11 I was involved in firefighting and emergency medicine in NH and got the call from the academy that they were sending people to NYC to help with the aftermath. I immediately put my name in. It took nearly two weeks before I was called to respond to NY, but when the call came, I was ready to go!

I remember the first day I got there like it was yesterday. I remember seeing NYC Firefighters and NYC Police and Port Authority Police and people from all walks of life at the pit volunteering to help anyway they could. I remember seeing people just crowded around the barriers and emergency workers so tired they could barely walk, but they weren't leaving.

Smoke was still coming out of the wreckage, especially when a crane or other piece of machinery would move some debris. It was an awful sight to see. I was young, probably too young to be there, to see that distruction, but I didn't want to be anywhere else.

I specifically remember looking at the faces of the men and women who had been there for days without rest. The firefighters and police officers who would take a couple hours off after a long 20 hour shift, only to return for another. It was amazing!

The thing I wanted to tell everyone though, was when I got there, when I finally reached Ground Zero, they had just recovered a NYC Firefighter and were removing his remains. What has left of his station house were called down to Ground Zero to carry out their BROTHER our HERO! Everyone stopped what they were doing. Everyone took off their hats and held them over their hearts or stood at attention and Saluted America's Heros!

Everyone who died on 9/11, from the PA field to the Pentagon to the World Trade Center are heros. We Will Never Forget!

GOD BLESS AMERICA - 343!
Old Mon Sep 11, 2006, 07:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
GOD BLESS AMERICA - 343!!!!!!

I would like to tell you all a quick story. It has nothing to do with basketball officiating and all to do with 9/11. On 9/11 I was involved in firefighting and emergency medicine in NH and got the call from the academy that they were sending people to NYC to help with the aftermath. I immediately put my name in. It took nearly two weeks before I was called to respond to NY, but when the call came, I was ready to go!

I remember the first day I got there like it was yesterday. I remember seeing NYC Firefighters and NYC Police and Port Authority Police and people from all walks of life at the pit volunteering to help anyway they could. I remember seeing people just crowded around the barriers and emergency workers so tired they could barely walk, but they weren't leaving.

Smoke was still coming out of the wreckage, especially when a crane or other piece of machinery would move some debris. It was an awful sight to see. I was young, probably too young to be there, to see that distruction, but I didn't want to be anywhere else.

I specifically remember looking at the faces of the men and women who had been there for days without rest. The firefighters and police officers who would take a couple hours off after a long 20 hour shift, only to return for another. It was amazing!

The thing I wanted to tell everyone though, was when I got there, when I finally reached Ground Zero, they had just recovered a NYC Firefighter and were removing his remains. What has left of his station house were called down to Ground Zero to carry out their BROTHER our HERO! Everyone stopped what they were doing. Everyone took off their hats and held them over their hearts or stood at attention and Saluted America's Heros!

Everyone who died on 9/11, from the PA field to the Pentagon to the World Trade Center are heros. We Will Never Forget!

GOD BLESS AMERICA - 343!Official99
I want to thank you for all that you did at the WTC.
Today is not as rememberable to me.. My brother-in-law was a Battalion chief in NYC, Ladder 8 Engine 2, he was one of those heros that never made home to his family. sorry for bringing everyone down with that thought.
Old Mon Sep 11, 2006, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

I was at work across the street on 9/11 and I saw many of those courageous men and women of the FDNY, NYPD, and EMS rushing in to help. This is what they lived for, and they died as they lived, bravely and in the service of others. My father-in-law was a FDNY lieutenant and we have met many of those bravest who died that day, as well as many who are still getting sick as a result of assisting in the recovery effort.

Captain Timothy Stackpole, FDNY, who was at my sister's wedding and whose son goes to school with my son, was among the firefighters that died that day.

Two of my former colleagues perished at 1 World Trade Center: Dolores Fanelli and Elaine Cillo, who worked at Marsh McLennan.

One former colleague perished at 2 World Trace Center: Goumatie Thackurdeen, who worked at the Fiduciary Trust.

My former boss, Marion Britton, was on United Flight 93 when it crashed in Pennsylvania.

May God's eternal light shine upon them.

September 11th, 2001 was the day we found out how small a town New York City really is, as no one was untouched by the tragedy.

We will always remember the small acts of kindness shown on that day as well as the great acts of heroism.

We all always be grateful for the outpouring of support and prayers from around the world.

We will never forget.
Old Mon Sep 11, 2006, 09:29am
M.A.S.H.

God Bless all who were lost and who are currently fighting for our freedom!
Old Mon Sep 11, 2006, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Thanks to all the courageous souls who helped.

Condolences to those who lost someone on 9/11.

Strength for better days ahead.

Z
Old Mon Sep 11, 2006, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
When the attacks on wtc were 5 years ago, I was 10 years old. I don't think I ever understood the, complexity, the realness of this. I just saw pictures, fading by on a tv-screen. I'm not saying I understand now either, and I'm not sure I ever will understand how many people we lost 9/11. How ever, let's not forget the lifes that were saved that day, I don't have the numbers in my head. But remember the ones who were saved out of the buildings, and remember the brave men and women who helped them get out. Police officers, fire fighters, paramedics etc.

Let us never forget 9/11, and let us never forget the ones who died. There memories will for ever live on within us

Below is a song made by the band Dream Theater. It's called "The Spirit Carries on".

Quote:
Where did we come from?
Why are we here?
Where do we go when we die?
What lies beyond
And what lay before?
Is anything certain in life?

They say, Life is too short,
The here and the now
And you're only given one shot
But could there be more,
Have I lived before,