The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 01:02am
Official Forum Member

Hear Hear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
My primary sport is H.S. and college basketball, but I do umpire H.S. age boys' baseball and girls' fastpitch softball. After watching the four videos, I would call in IP every time, no matter what level the game. Especially at the D-1 level. Why? Because as the skill level of the player increases, so should the player's ability to play the game as required by the rules. It has always bothered me that the SS or 2B only as to catch the ball while in the same area code of 2B to get a force in a MLB game, but in a H.S. freshmen game we would call the runner safe.

MTD, Sr.
I totally agree with what Mark said. Wrapping up my BB season earlier today and had a coach say"they would have never called that traveling on Michael Jordan but you're gonna call that in a boys 8th grade game. I just shrugged.....
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref
I totally agree with what Mark said. Wrapping up my BB season earlier today and had a coach say"they would have never called that traveling on Michael Jordan but you're gonna call that in a boys 8th grade game. I just shrugged.....
Coach needs to learn the difference in playing a game by the rules and entertainment.

Another point. Monica Abbott was a pitcher on last years national team and was instrumental in USA's win of it's third Japan Cup. She has not pitched like this in the past which makes me wonder why she would incorporate an all-to-obvious illegal move to her delivery now.

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Wed Feb 28, 2007 at 11:22am.
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

I've called this as an IP in several college games and had no problems with assignments. Now, most of my schedule is D2, but it's some of the better schools in D2. One of the teams that had a pitcher two years ago that did this frequently ended up cutting her - and then they won it all last year. And their freshman #1 pitcher was about as text book legal as you could find.