The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 03, 2007, 07:24pm
Official Forum Member

WSA NW Hiring Umpires

We are currently hiring umpires for the 2007 season for the SW Washington and Northern Oregon areas.

If your interested please contact Gary Treadway @ [email protected]
Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Gary i plan to move to the Portland Or. area in a couple years.My question to you or someone else in the area is how do you get a season in with all the rain?I live in cen. Cal. now and we cancel anytime it rains and we lose a few games a year.I just don't now how it works in the beautiful northwest.Can't wait to retire from my day job and umpire up there!
Old Tue Feb 06, 2007, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluezebra58
My question to you or someone else in the area is how do you get a season in with all the rain?I live in cen. Cal. now and we cancel anytime it rains and we lose a few games a year.I just don't now how it works in the beautiful northwest.Can't wait to retire from my day job and umpire up there!
For one, it doesn't rain as much up here as most of the nation thinks. For another, we don't worry about the light drizzles... we play thru it. Sure the heavy rains force some rainouts, but that's expected. If we didn't play thru what we can, we wouldn't have a season.
Old Tue Feb 06, 2007, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
For one, it doesn't rain as much up here as most of the nation thinks. For another, we don't worry about the light drizzles... we play thru it. Sure the heavy rains force some rainouts, but that's expected. If we didn't play thru what we can, we wouldn't have a season.

Hey SRW,

Becareful, if you keep telling Cali folk the truth.....that it doesn't rain as much as everyone thinks...they will continue to flock to the Northwest!!
Old Tue Feb 06, 2007, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsanw
We are currently hiring umpires for the 2007 season for the SW Washington and Northern Oregon areas.

If your interested please contact Gary Treadway @ [email protected]
Gary,

What is WSA and where do they play? What areas and facilities do they use...what do the umpires get paid??

Thanks.
Old Tue Feb 06, 2007, 06:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalU
Hey SRW,

Becareful, if you keep telling Cali folk the truth.....that it doesn't rain as much as everyone thinks...they will continue to flock to the Northwest!!
And the problem would be...what? We need more umps, just like every other association in the country!
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Thanks SRW I can't wait.By the way SoCal I am originally from Spokane and all my family has been there for 65 years.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
And the problem would be...what? We need more umps, just like every other association in the country!
The problem would be others would follow. I thoroughly enjoyed myself on a visit to Seattle/Victoria Island a few years back. End of October, but the weather was great and, I agree, the "constant rain" impression is a ruse.

Unfortunately, for Seattle, many of the homeless have also found Seattle enjoyable. Before someone is "offended", let me state that I understand people get down on their luck. However, when you are on a crowded bus downtown, or merely standing on a crowded corner waiting to cross the street (you don't jaywalk in Seattle), the stench of some is just unbelievable.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
The problem would be others would follow.
Again, what's the problem?

Quote:
Unfortunately, for Seattle, many of the homeless have also found Seattle enjoyable. Before someone is "offended", let me state that I understand people get down on their luck. However, when you are on a crowded bus downtown, or merely standing on a crowded corner waiting to cross the street (you don't jaywalk in Seattle), the stench of some is just unbelievable.
This isn't a Seattle issue alone. Stinky people are everywhere. We have some, and I'd bet you a beer at hospitality tomorrow night that New Castle has some, too.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
Again, what's the problem?

This isn't a Seattle issue alone. Stinky people are everywhere. We have some, and I'd bet you a beer at hospitality tomorrow night that New Castle has some, too.
Actually, no, New Castle does not.

Wilmington, OTOH, does, but are not exactly catered to the point of drawing others to the region.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Catering Service

Quote:
The problem would be others would follow. I thoroughly enjoyed myself on a visit to Seattle/Victoria Island a few years back. End of October, but the weather was great and, I agree, the "constant rain" impression is a ruse.

Sometimes homelessness is not about being down on one's luck. Sometimes people have mental health issues. For example some of our nation's vets have come home from the foreign lands and dare I say our nation has dropped the ball in meeting their needs. Not everybody handles war in a John Wayne manner-some have issues with it. Sometimes their issues lead to them being unable to stabilize and hold down a job. Which means homelessness and the eventual catering-can I insert a BIG sarcasm smiley- that occurs on the streets.

Homeless people tend to migrate towards where services-I mean the catering occurs-so have shelters you have homelessness. So when a town has NO homelessness it generally means that they have no services available or they have figured out how to run them out of town.....
Old Sun Feb 11, 2007, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref
Sometimes homelessness is not about being down on one's luck. Sometimes people have mental health issues. For example some of our nation's vets have come home from the foreign lands and dare I say our nation has dropped the ball in meeting their needs. Not everybody handles war in a John Wayne manner-some have issues with it. Sometimes their issues lead to them being unable to stabilize and hold down a job. Which means homelessness and the eventual catering-can I insert a BIG sarcasm smiley- that occurs on the streets.

Homeless people tend to migrate towards where services-I mean the catering occurs-so have shelters you have homelessness. So when a town has NO homelessness it generally means that they have no services available or they have figured out how to run them out of town.....

So...the quick summation is to run off or lock up everyone with mental health issues.

Haven't we already tried that???????

Give it a break and come back with a real argument. Don't get me wrong...I'm as conservative as they come. But the homeless situation is one we can't avoid.