The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 27, 2007, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Gripe #21340 for '07- Walking the line from 21 feet.

The following is Verbatum (sic whatever) from the Rules Clinic Power Point:
(2-3 ump systems FP & SP)
"The starting position for Base Umpires who are on the line is a minimum of 18 feet and a maximuum 21 feet behind the base"

... Since the "walk the line" technique is now used, it is felt that 18-21 feet is the preferred starting point for the Base Umpire on the line.

This is the most absurd of all absurd mechanics.

On the pitch (FP) from A, I personally feel very real priorities are (but not limited too):
- Illegal Pitch
- Check swing
- Dead ball stuff (ball off foot of batter etc)

I do this best from the ready position, not bee bopping in from deep right field.

I'm a mover, so I have no problems moving if I need to -

but this mechanic IMO is beyond the pale. I'm irritated that I will surely be
facing Eval having to train myself to use an inferior mechanic.
Old Sun Jan 28, 2007, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

This was brought up at our regional clinic yesterday and the same points were identified.

I discussed this with one on one with our NUS and came away with the following understanding:

1. You still want to be in the set position prior to the pitch. This won't detract from our abilities to see what we need to see.

2. You probably want to take just one step, as short as possible.

3. The reason for the change was that too many umpires were having difficulty getting into the set position when they were already just standing still.

This made sense to me from my prior years as a player/coach.

All players take a short step just prior to the pitch to get into their set position. The reason is two-fold:

1. If you are stationery for more than 3 seconds, your muscles lose their elasticity. Same reasons that pitchers will delay in order for the batter to stay set too long. Our muscles are more like silly putty than rubber bands.

2. It is maximizes your ability to move in reaction to the play. I am not a scientist, but the laws of motion state that it is easier to get from Point A to Point B by changing direction, than it is from a dead stand still.
Old Sun Jan 28, 2007, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
The following is Verbatum (sic whatever) from the Rules Clinic Power Point:
(2-3 ump systems FP & SP)
"The starting position for Base Umpires who are on the line is a minimum of 18 feet and a maximuum 21 feet behind the base"

... Since the "walk the line" technique is now used, it is felt that 18-21 feet is the preferred starting point for the Base Umpire on the line.

This is the most absurd of all absurd mechanics.

On the pitch (FP) from A, I personally feel very real priorities are (but not limited too):
- Illegal Pitch
- Check swing
- Dead ball stuff (ball off foot of batter etc)

I do this best from the ready position, not bee bopping in from deep right field.

I'm a mover, so I have no problems moving if I need to -

but this mechanic IMO is beyond the pale. I'm irritated that I will surely be
facing Eval having to train myself to use an inferior mechanic.
I don't think it's that big a deal. Just because you are moving your legs, doesn't mean you cannot follow with you eyes. Remember, you are taking calculated steps, not jogging or running. One stride for most umpires brings you righ back to the 15-18 foot range.

JMHO
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

For years I have used the same technique used by defensive ball players. On the pitch shift your weight forward over the balls of the feet. If the ball is hit, your body is ready to take that first step.

If the ball is not hit, then the weight shift normally causes a small step anyway. Then you re-set and do it again. If it works for players that have to get off on the batted ball quickly, then why should umpires have to take a step? I suspect that most umpires are former players and it (weight shift) should be a natural action.

WMB
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestMichBlue
For years I have used the same technique used by defensive ball players. On the pitch shift your weight forward over the balls of the feet. If the ball is hit, your body is ready to take that first step.

If the ball is not hit, then the weight shift normally causes a small step anyway. Then you re-set and do it again. If it works for players that have to get off on the batted ball quickly, then why should umpires have to take a step? I suspect that most umpires are former players and it (weight shift) should be a natural action.

WMB
Problem is the defenders rarely cross the path of another defender in close proximaty and if they don't get to where they need to be to field the ball, they have a few others to back them up.

Umpires must get to a certain point and at times weave their way through the defenders and runners and usually only has one back up who often has their own issues.

However, I don't have a problem with the "ready" position as long as the umpire gets to where they need to be.
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestMichBlue

WMB
ditto -
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Problem is the defenders rarely cross the path of another defender in close proximaty and if they don't get to where they need to be to field the ball, they have a few others to back them up.

Umpires must get to a certain point and at times weave their way through the defenders and runners and usually only has one back up who often has their own issues.

However, I don't have a problem with the "ready" position as long as the umpire gets to where they need to be.
You dont need to "get" where you need on a pitch in A. You can start there. You may need to get somewhere from your ideal starting position.. but you do just as well ready in A than bee bopping around to find your spot prepitch.

I really dont get this one. This is a feel good "ohh we cant think of anything else so we are gonna dream this up", it has no reality or necessity or benefit.
Old Tue Jan 30, 2007, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
You dont need to "get" where you need on a pitch in A. You can start there. You may need to get somewhere from your ideal starting position.. but you do just as well ready in A than bee bopping around to find your spot prepitch.

I really dont get this one. This is a feel good "ohh we cant think of anything else so we are gonna dream this up", it has no reality or necessity or benefit.
You know, this is nothing new. "Walking the line" was a standard mechanic for years. The only reason there was a move away from it was due to the technology of the bats and apparently, some umpires are not as agile on one foot as in a ready position.

And, you are right. If you are "beebopping around" to find your "prepitch" spot, you don't get it.

"Walking the line" is nothing more than one step, maybe two (depending on the umpire's preference) as the pitch is released. The umpire still begins the pitch the same distance at the previously suggested starting position.

Yes, there are umpires that will start waaaay back and walk a marathon prior to the pitch. That is not what is being suggested here.

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Tue Jan 30, 2007 at 12:32pm.
Old Tue Jan 30, 2007, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Oh I know its not new.. its just gripe #21340 due to the fact that the ASA is having to adjust an absurd useless mechanic to try to mitigate the useless absurd mechanics effects.