The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 09, 2002, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Angry

I'm a rookie who's only done around a dozen games. I've read here about the "howler monkeys", but I certainly hadn't seen any outside of the zoo. Until last night...

Freshman boys. Two really bad teams. When my veteran partner arrived and found out who the V team was, he responded, "Oh God, I won't even work games there any more." I know why. V coach started "howling" on the first play, wanting "over-the-backs" and such nonsense.

Partner called a block on V player that howler thought was a PC. Partner and V coach share a few choice words. Next time a V player drives for the bucket, partner lets V coach have his charge. You can imagine the howling after that one! :-)

(H team won by 2 after V team just missed a 3 at the buzzer.)
Old Wed Jan 09, 2002, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Bard, thats one of those games you call fair and you are also glad the V team lost. I also believe its time you earn your strips, next time you have him, give him the stop sign and if he continues to assist you, reward him with a T.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2002, 11:54am
9 times

Quote:
Originally posted by bard
Freshman boys. Two really bad teams. When my veteran partner arrived and found out who the V team was, he responded, "Oh God, I won't even work games there any more." I know why. V coach started "howling" on the first play, wanting "over-the-backs" and such nonsense.

Partner called a block on V player that howler thought was a PC. Partner and V coach share a few choice words. Next time a V player drives for the bucket, partner lets V coach have his charge. You can imagine the howling after that one! :-)
Why do we let these "howler monkeys" do this? Why doesn't this guy get a stop sign and then a T? I don't get it. I refuse to let a coach be a "howler monkey"--I won't listen to it. It is way too distracting. Sack up and put an end to it.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Wed Jan 09, 2002, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
And furthermore, giving the T is often doing a favor. It often happens that when the coach quits howling, he concnetrates on the game and the team starts doing better. If you'd T'd him, or even tossed him, perhaps they would have won!