The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 17, 2002, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Had the worst possible table last night. A boyfriend and his girlfriend who were, shall we say, distracted from the game. They blew it BIG TIME. Didn't start the clock when they should have, didn't stop when they should have, forgot to put up points, foul count both in the book and on the board was wrong the whole game. The book showed team B having only five fouls for the whole game, although on the board they had eight in the first half and 6 in the second half. At first I wasn't noticing, but by half-time we were starting to realize that something was amiss. We questioned them pretty closely during the second half, but even so, it was a mess. I tried to have them replaced, but the AD, "just couldn't find anyone!" Before we were off the floor, there was another table crew for the next game, why couldn't then have finished off ours?

Okay, so here are the questions...

Are we allowed to "designate" the visiting book the official one? Can we do that half-way through the game?

Should I file a report, Howard?

What would anyone else have done?
Old Tue Dec 17, 2002, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
To answer your question in a word.....YES! You can designate the visiting book to be the official book. If you do so, they must move to the table if they were not already there.
Old Tue Dec 17, 2002, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

"Mr. AD, we are not continuing this game until the scorer and timer are replaced or there is an adult sitting at the table to monitor them."

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Dec 17, 2002, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Thanks, Tony. Perhaps I should have had the visiting book sit between them. I thought about it. V-book was doing a good job, and kept correcting the score-board guy. She also let us know when one of her own players fouled out. At that point the home book had only two fouls on that girl.

Now that I think about it, I think I will file a report. This seems inexcusable at the JV level.
Old Tue Dec 17, 2002, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Talking

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rainmaker
. A boyfriend and his girlfriend who were, shall we say, distracted from the game.

Did you have to call any illegal use of hands fouls?
Old Tue Dec 17, 2002, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jake80
Did you have to call any illegal use of hands fouls?
No, but it sure is disconcerting to report a foul to a tonsil-tickling in progress!

Old Tue Dec 17, 2002, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

You probably could have called holding and pushing as well

I had this same problem in a JV tournament this year with kids running the clock and book. At one point, the scorekeeper and one of the coaches were in a shouting match that I had to step between because the team book had seven fouls and the visiting book only had six. I had no idea that I could stop the game and request personnel replacement. I talked to a friend of mine who is a coach and was at the tournament, and in his game they didn't have a clock operator and had to call someone out of the stands. I am anxious to see what some of the other advice is on this.
Strange women, lying in ponds, distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. If I went around claiming I was an emperor just because some moistened bink lobbed a scimitar at me, they would put me away.
-Monty Python-
Old Tue Dec 17, 2002, 11:36am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Thanks, Tony. Perhaps I should have had the visiting book sit between them. I thought about it. V-book was doing a good job, and kept correcting the score-board guy. She also let us know when one of her own players fouled out. At that point the home book had only two fouls on that girl.

Now that I think about it, I think I will file a report. This seems inexcusable at the JV level.
You could also have designated the V-book as the official scorer,Juulie,to replace the one that you started with.That may have helped a little.
Old Tue Dec 17, 2002, 11:45am
Esteemed Participant

Juulie - the thing to remember is that YOU are the one in charge there...that means that the coaches (esp. the visiting one) will go back to school the next day and gripe to their AD's and Principals about the lousy way the game was run - and that reflects badly on you...so you tell the AD to replace the scorer, and if the AD won't, then you tell them to leave the table and designate the visiting book as official book...if the home coach wants to whine, tell him to do a better job finding people at the table for the next game...
Old Tue Dec 17, 2002, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not so sure on designating the visiting book as official.

Rule 2-4-3 says that the referee designates the official book "prior to the scheduled starting time of the game." To me, it means that you can't switch halfway through the game.

That being said, I would probably chat with the visiting book and let them know they're in charge. The R can correct the official book - I'd probably say that I'm correcting the home book to exactly reflect the visiting book.
Old Tue Dec 17, 2002, 03:08pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
I'm not so sure on designating the visiting book as official.

Rule 2-4-3 says that the referee designates the official book "prior to the scheduled starting time of the game." To me, it means that you can't switch halfway through the game.

That being said, I would probably chat with the visiting book and let them know they're in charge. The R can correct the official book - I'd probably say that I'm correcting the home book to exactly reflect the visiting book.
Mark,take a look at the language in R2-1-1-specifically "if they are trained personell acceptable to the referee".There are no other time restrictions used.Just adapt that for use in the present sitch.If a member of the table crew is no longer acceptable,the R can have them replaced. There was a casebook play issued on this once,but I don't have a clue how long ago it was.
Old Tue Dec 17, 2002, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
There was a casebook play issued on this once,but I don't have a clue how long ago it was.
Oh, jeez.

You brought up the taboo subject!

I'm going to stay away from the board for a few weeks.
Old Tue Dec 17, 2002, 04:00pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
There was a casebook play issued on this once,but I don't have a clue how long ago it was.
Oh, jeez.

You brought up the taboo subject!

I'm going to stay away from the board for a few weeks.
I are a bad boy sometimes!
Old Tue Dec 17, 2002, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

I think if the table crew, during the course of the game, turns out to not be capable, we can re-designate the V book as official. If the home book has a beef he can replace the other book.

If it were me, I would have stopped the game until they were replaced. If they were really swapping spit during play, I am sure there would have been one or more parent ready to step in, just to get them out of there. Personally, I find it offensive, that the AD did not find this offensive enough to take care of it himself.
Old Tue Dec 17, 2002, 04:54pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Had the worst possible table last night. A boyfriend and his girlfriend who were, shall we say, distracted from the game.
This seems like an acceptable time to call "over the back"