The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 21, 2007, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Fed - Speed Gun

If this has come up before I apologize. I haven't seen it. This came up in our Rules Clinic this evening.

1. Is it legal for a coach to use a speed gun on the field during play?

2. Is it legal for a coach to use a speed gun off the field and directly behind the catcher?

3. In 1 & 2 is it legal for the coach to call out the results for all to hear?

4. Is it legal for a fan to use a speed gun and call out the results for all to hear?

Thanks all.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 02:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLBuffalo
1. Is it legal for a coach to use a speed gun on the field during play?
Rule 3.13 says they cannot use electronic communication, television monitoring or replay equipment for coaching purposes during the course of the game.

A speed gun would not fall into that category so yes they can use it.

Quote:
2. Is it legal for a coach to use a speed gun off the field and directly behind the catcher?
As long as they aren't distracting the play I won't have a problem with it. Some might because they would have to leave the confines of the bench area. Most guns I've seen can be used in the bench area.

Quote:
3. In 1 & 2 is it legal for the coach to call out the results for all to hear?
Not sure if it's illegal but I wouldn't allow it.

Quote:
4. Is it legal for a fan to use a speed gun and call out the results for all to hear?
See above.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
There are no rules about what spectators can say, even "safe" when the throw clearly beats the runner, or ...
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

I would not allow a speed gun on the field of play.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Nor would I.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
OK, but is "Rule 3.13 " or the parallel in any book the only basis for disallowing?
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Without a specific rule, you would waste the "God" rule on this? What unfair advantage is gained by knowing a pitch is 56 mph, versus 53? Do the batters then have a dial up swing speed to unfairly compensate?

I suppose you could; and you do have that authority. I think it would be an abuse of that authority, personally.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
Without a specific rule, you would waste the "God" rule on this? What unfair advantage is gained by knowing a pitch is 56 mph, versus 53? Do the batters then have a dial up swing speed to unfairly compensate?

I suppose you could; and you do have that authority. I think it would be an abuse of that authority, personally.
I wasn't anywhere close to using the god rule, let alone wasting it (I wasn't aware it was a consumable).

I don't give a rat's behind who is using it or what for, just not on the playing field. NFHS 3-2-14. I don't allow cameras on the playing field, either, unless in an approved media area or specifically approved by the school admin.

It is not playing equipment. It is (relatively) large. It is an unnecessary risk. Get it off the field.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

I wonder about the accuracy of the readings those guns give. At the Iowa state fair many years ago, when I still possessed something resembling an arm, I threw some baseballs into a canvas tarp while a guy "clocked" the speed with a radar gun. The fastest I got was 63 mph. I told the guy he was nuts, since that's about the speed at which the catcher throws the ball back to the pitcher. All he said was, "Well, that's what the gun says." But then he added, "You're still the third-fastest I've had all day. Two pitchers from Iowa State University each hit 64 this morning."

A friend of mine later explained to me that the reading a radar gun gives is the fastest speed at which it clocks the ball times the cosine of the angle of the ball at that moment. Since the ball cannot speed up in the air, the figure produced is the speed of the ball when the gun first picks it up, times the cosine of the angle. Therefore, you have to divide the registered speed by the cosine of the angle to get the true speed.

If the gun is straight on, the registered speed is the true speed (divide by 1.000). If the gun is at a 90 degree angle, the speed will always show as 0 mph. But at, say, a 45 degree angle, a reading of 64 would indicate a true speed of over 90 (divide 64 by 0.7071). The guy with the gun was indeed off to the side, but trying to guess the angle when the gun picked up the ball is pure speculation, and according to my friend, might have changed dramatically depending on how the guy had aimed the gun.

But this was years ago. Maybe the guns have advanced since then and somehow compensate for the angle.

An umpire could always mention to the guy with the gun that police in Connecticut (a state notorious for speed traps) stopped using radar guns after some physicians suggested that the groin cancer an officer suffered might have resulted from his habit of holding the radar gun in his lap between "zaps" of vehicles.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Florida has ruled as a state, that all speed guns are disallowed.
Personally, off the field, I could care less.