The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 15, 2001, 03:46pm
In Memoriam

Question

When I report a foul, I generally walk around the players/lane to the nearer side of the foul reporting area. (in a college game, I only clear the players), the distance into the zone is based upon clearing the players, but it's usually a few feet away from the top of the arc.
I come to a complete stop.
My hand signals (Color, number, foul, direction usually take a full 5 seconds.
I then turn, and jog to my new position.

Can this be improved upon?
The reason I ask is that a couple refs (a non-clinic vet, and a non-clinic 4 year) said I was quite slow.
I just started walking to the table this year, purposefully.

mick

Old Thu Feb 15, 2001, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Mick-
When I first started officiating I was always told to slow down! I don't think you could ever be to slow! (Unless you are crawling on your hands and knees)

I started walking this year also!

AK ref SE
Old Thu Feb 15, 2001, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

There is no hurry. You can take X amount of time and only do it once, or 1/2X amount of time and be recalled by the table to do it again.
Old Thu Feb 15, 2001, 04:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Question I was told to jog.

I really do not feel there is a right or wrong way, but I was told to jog to my reporting spot during camps this summer. Now, I did that for a few games this year, but walking helps me collect myself. Think about the number I called the foul on and what we are going to do next.

I guess I was looking like an NBA official to a couple of evaluators by the way I took my time to the table or right as I was calling the foul. I was also told to do the foul signal and "type" of foul at a complete stop. Appartently I was kind of walking as I was doing that.

I guess you should do whatever you are told by the powers that be, but I feel that walking is appropriate in my humble opinion.
Old Thu Feb 15, 2001, 04:33pm
Suppref

Jog Stop Jog

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
When I report a foul, I generally walk around the players/lane to the nearer side of the foul reporting area. (in a college game, I only clear the players), the distance into the zone is based upon clearing the players, but it's usually a few feet away from the top of the arc.
I come to a complete stop.
My hand signals (Color, number, foul, direction usually take a full 5 seconds.
I then turn, and jog to my new position.

Can this be improved upon?
The reason I ask is that a couple refs (a non-clinic vet, and a non-clinic 4 year) said I was quite slow.
I just started walking to the table this year, purposefully.

mick

We were told to jog to our reporting spot, Stop while reporting and jog back. I like to freeze for a second after the whistle to collect myself, make sure I have the correct number, also to make sure no extra pushing,trash talking ect. takes place then jog off to report. It works for me, but do what's comfortable for you. Remember, they can't do anything until your done!!
Old Thu Feb 15, 2001, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Walkin' and Talkin'

We were told, "When you're walkin' don't bother talkin'."

Sort of like, "If this camper's rockin' don't bother knockin'." (ok, it's a stretch---but it's easy to remember)
Old Fri Feb 16, 2001, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

I think a bigger problem is moving to quickly from the spot of the foul. Many of the errors I've seen this year were due to officials going to the reporting area before they have completed the foul calling process. I have been to many camps where where the emphasis was placed on hustle to the table but neglecting what the official was doing at the spot of the foul. We need to teach our younger officials the basics of calling a foul,(NF)1. Blow the whistle while raising the closed fist. 2. Step in bird dog. 3. give the preliminary signal(while giving the signal visually also do it verbally i.e. blue 23 push). 4. Communicate what we are going to do next by signal(do this also verbally as well i.e. red 35 to shoot 2 or red throw-in endline). Once you have done all of this now it is time to move to the reporting area (I prefer the jog)and since we have already said everything once all we have to do is repeat it. It is more important to get it right before we leave the spot than worring about how to get to the reporting area.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2001, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Refresher course

As a first year official, I can assure you all that the 'process' that we (new officials) spent the most time learning and practicing was reporting fouls. Just like Paulk1 says, blow it, bird dog, prelim, shoot / throw in, table. I was taught to jog to the table (I believe 'move with a purpose' is the phrase that my instructor used), report the foul, and make a switch with your partner(s). So...that's how I do it. I've only had the chance to work a handfull of JV games this year, and one of the (few) things I haven't caught any flak about is my approach to reporting fouls. I'm sure at the higher levels it becomes different, but there's my 2 cents for 'lower' level games.