The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 28, 2006, 01:48am
Official Forum Member

I was very satisfied with the NUS I attened a couple of years ago here in Bismarck, ND. We even learned how to forecast the weather from one national staff member (I can't remember his name ) who was a retired Air Force meteorologist. The only problem I had with the school, well not really with the school but I haven't been invited to umpire in any national or regional tournaments. I'll just keep doing the state tournys and the World's Largest Charity Slowpitch Softball Tournament until my number comes up. Oh, just FYI for anybody that's interested, the McQuades tournament went international this past summer.
Old Thu Dec 28, 2006, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDblue
I was very satisfied with the NUS I attened a couple of years ago here in Bismarck, ND. We even learned how to forecast the weather from one national staff member (I can't remember his name ) who was a retired Air Force meteorologist. The only problem I had with the school, well not really with the school but I haven't been invited to umpire in any national or regional tournaments. I'll just keep doing the state tournys and the World's Largest Charity Slowpitch Softball Tournament until my number comes up. Oh, just FYI for anybody that's interested, the McQuades tournament went international this past summer.
Bob Savoie and, you need to be "nominated" to work a NT by your state UIC who often relies on the local UIC for names and/or information.

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Thu Dec 28, 2006 at 11:35am.
Old Thu Dec 28, 2006, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Yep, that's his name. I understand the nomination process and I feel that even though I'm not a very experienced umpire, I'm better than some that have been chosen. Our state UIC has watched me ump on more than one occasion and there's very little he has to say to help me improve. Our local UIC has only told me to slow down on my "foul ball" calls. If they can't find anything else wrong with my calling, I'm assuming I'm doing a fine job. Like I said, I'll just hang out and wait my turn.
Old Sat Dec 30, 2006, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
Being in Michigan, I'm thinking that he might not have needed to get much further than Jerry Hanson with a letter describing your dissatisfaction.

We have hosted National schoold several times in Atlanta. When the numbers ourpaced expectation (we ended up with over 200 participants last time), we added clinicians to keep the ratio appropriate. We added one National Staff member, one recently retired National Staff member, our Atlanta UIC, and a recent attendee of the Advanced School. I was the clinician who had recently attended the Advanced School, and am quite sure that the attendees understood the benefit of smaller groups, even if they participated in groups led by other than National Staff part of the time.
I just have to chime in here and say that Atlanta knows how to do it right.
I have been there and experienced the hospitality and the quality of their clinics.
Out of all the clinics I have ever attended, Atlanta's only came in 2nd to the Advanced School I attended in Killeen TX.
Old Sun Dec 31, 2006, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Atlanta will get another shot at your vote. The Advanced FP Camp is scheduled for Jun 2007 here.
Old Mon Jan 01, 2007, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

I also feel the host organization is critical in making the school a success. Having attended two different National schools in Texas in the last four years and having outstanding hosts for both, I have and will continue to recommend umpires of all levels attend.
This year in Waxahachie our instructors were Walt Sparks, Jim Craig and Kevin Ryan. They did a great job of keeping things on pace and interesting. On another note it would be nice to be able to attend a two or three day advanced school with smaller groups at a comparable price. I do not mind entry level umpires attending because I have worked with some that have called only a year or two and were obviously well trained umpires that I would call with anytime. A school like this would more than likely impact the National school attendance. You always here class size is limited, but have you heard of anyone with their money in hand being turned away from a National school? I am very interested in attending an advanced FP camp in the next few years. It is alot of money and time, just wondered who has been there and done that, is it worth a week of vacation time, $400 not including hotel and food?
Old Mon Jan 08, 2007, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Cool Advanced NUS Schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaumpire
I also feel the host organization is critical in making the school a success. Having attended two different National schools in Texas ... I am very interested in attending an advanced FP camp in the next few years. It is alot of money and time, just wondered who has been there and done that, is it worth a week of vacation time, $400 not including hotel and food?
This last year I attended BOTH Advanced NUS - The Innaugural Slow Pitch camp in GA, and the FP Camp in CA. They were really benificial, a lot of work, and I would (will) do it again when I get $ saved up. I HIGHLY recommend them. Most of the food was included.

As far as the regular NUS classes that are run by the locals, I still find them a good refresher to get me back up out of the winter hibernation mode.
ASA Lifetime Member
ASA, NFHS, NCAA
[IAABO95]

Softball is serious, life is a mere distraction.
http://twitter.com/MASoftballUmpTJ
Old Mon Jan 08, 2007, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA Softball Ump
As far as the regular NUS classes that are run by the locals, I still find them a good refresher to get me back up out of the winter hibernation mode.
I can't see spending a couple hundred bucks and a weekend of my time for a "refresher." (Even more this year as there are none closer than 600 mi.) I can attend the ASA District and ASA State clinics for free and "wake up from winter." And our local association puts on several hours of rules and mechanics training for the upcoming NFHS season.

The FP Camp may be well worth the time, but I would have a hard time spending $1,000 to $1,200 for an umpire camp.

Just my opinion.

WMB
Old Mon Jan 08, 2007, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestMichBlue
... I would have a hard time spending $1,000 to $1,200 for an umpire camp.

Just my opinion.
In your opinion, at what cost would make the camp a benefit to you?
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
In your opinion, at what cost would make the camp a benefit to you?
If I lived in northern GA and didn't have to spend $7-$800 in travel and housing, the $400 camp fee might be worth it to me.

If I were younger and ambitious and wanted to climb the ladder and could make $4K or $5K in FP umpiring, then the $1,200 cost is justified.

But at my age (66), I am not going anywhere other than to call a full (50 game) slate of H.S. games and a few summer tournaments. With a FP income of $2K (less expenses) I cannot justify that kind of camp money.

As noted, I can keep myself current and up to date with local training. Starting Sunday, I will spend more than 20 hours in class or in the gym in NFHS or ASA clinics. Total cost: $20 plus some gas.

WMB

A point of comparative reference. I can spend a weekend (F-S-S) at a volleyball camp at a college in Michigan. Several hours of classroom rules work, some court demonstrations, and a dozen or more matches called for high school teams that are also on campus that weekend. College trained officials available all day to mentor and provide evaluations. Total cost: $50 plus $15/night to stay in the dorms. (If you are like me and haven't stayed in a dorm for 40+ years, that is an interesting experience! Interesting, not pleasant!)