The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 22, 2001, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Love2ref4Ever
Question

Is it a waste of time attending a camp outside of your state(unless you plan on relocating)If not,then what are the benefits?
Old Sun Apr 22, 2001, 01:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb College maybe.

What if a college camp is located outside of your state. There are conferences that are spread out over a couple of states. And if many of the schools are located in your state or reasonable driving distances, it might be of great benefit. But ultimately that is a person evaluation.

Quote:
Originally posted by Love2ref4Ever
Is it a waste of time attending a camp outside of your state(unless you plan on relocating)If not,then what are the benefits?
Old Sun Apr 22, 2001, 04:34pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Love2ref4Ever
Love2,
The H.S. camp I attend is in Lower Michigan, and the evaluators there have nothing to do with the Upper Peninsula, but the camp is solid on Michigan mechanics and is "approved" by the State Association.
So, for me, it's almost like going to another state.
That said, as long as the rule books and the mechanics are the same for your state and the camp state, you can only gain experience and a whole lot of confidence by attending a camp.
My philosophy is "If you wonder if you need a camp, then go."
mick

[Edited by mick on Apr 26th, 2001 at 03:48 PM]
Old Sun Apr 22, 2001, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to BOBBYMO Send a message via Yahoo to BOBBYMO
I dissagree with you on this one Mick

"My philosophy is "If you wonder, if you need a camp, then go". Mick I dissagree with you on this quote. I belive that in officating you should never stop learning and camps are a great way to learn and get feedback on your game. Camps outside of your own region or state can be a great learning tool for many of reasons. You have never worked too many games to keep learning and once you feel that you have nothing else to learn- it is time to get out. I feel that everybody should go to a camp at least every other year. It is a great way to learn and to keep up with new rules and make new contacts and friends.
Old Sun Apr 22, 2001, 08:17pm
In Memoriam

Wink Am I missing something?

Quote:
Originally posted by BOBBYMO

"My philosophy is "If you wonder, if you need a camp, then go". Mick I dissagree with you on this quote. I belive that in officating you should never stop learning and camps are a great way to learn and get feedback on your game. Camps outside of your own region or state can be a great learning tool for many of reasons. You have never worked too many games to keep learning and once you feel that you have nothing else to learn- it is time to get out. I feel that everybody should go to a camp at least every other year. It is a great way to learn and to keep up with new rules and make new contacts and friends.

BOBBYMO,
You can disagree with me, if you like; but, I cannot disagree with you at all.
I was trying to point out (and I must have failed) that if you are even thinking about a camp, then "Just do it!"
I should have left out a comma: "If you wonder if you need a camp, then go." Sorry. Mybad!

mick

[Edited by mick on Apr 22nd, 2001 at 08:20 PM]
Old Sun Apr 22, 2001, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to BOBBYMO Send a message via Yahoo to BOBBYMO
Thumbs up NOW I AGREE MICK

MICK--- NOW I AGREE!!!
Old Thu Apr 26, 2001, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

My feeling about camps is---at first, go where you will get the best instruction. If that happens to be a camp in state, good for you, if not suck it up and go where it is. If you want to be the best, you have to learn from the best. Once you are ready to move up the officiating ladder, go to camps that will help you get to know the right people, and where they can see you work. That is going to be different in every state.

Too many people I know and that I have met, feel like "college camps" are better left until you are more advanced. I totally disagree. I stated going to college camps after my second year and wish I had gone before my first. The clinicians took me under their wings and really helped me to learn "good" habits instead of "bad" ones. My experience has only been positive at college camps.

I live in Utah and have been to camps in most of the western states. It costs money to go, but I have made it a practice to save my reffing money to pay for camps. I have never used any money that was not earned reffing to pay for these camps so it has nver felt like a pinch.

If you are wondering, I say go!