The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 28, 2006, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fastpitch Send a message via MSN to fastpitch
Think I missed One - Obstruction at 1B

Can you call obstruction at 1B if there is a fielder behind the safety base that causes the runner to slow down?

Tonight in a 12B ASA Tournament had grounder to 1B, 2B covers 1B but 1B decides to take it. 2B moves over behind the safety base while 1B tags the white base on a close play before the B/R touches and I call her out. The B/R slows down due to 2B being behind the safety base, maybe 2 feet. She would have run over the 2B had she continued through the base. I think I should have signaled obstruction and awarded her 1B. I haven't reread the Obstruction rule tonight but would appreciate comments.
Old Sat Oct 28, 2006, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

If a defensive player, without the ball, caused a runner to alter her chosen path to the base, you've got obstruction. So, yeah, it does sound like you missed that one.
Old Sun Oct 29, 2006, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M
If a defensive player, without the ball, caused a runner to alter her chosen path to the base, you've got obstruction. So, yeah, it does sound like you missed that one.
As long as the slow down was before F3 touched the base for the putout.
Old Sun Oct 29, 2006, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
As long as the slow down was before F3 touched the base for the putout.
Is it possible to obstruct a retired runner, Cecil? I may have read that differently, but I was sure our original play description had the runner slowing before the out, so I saw no need to make that point.
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M
Is it possible to obstruct a retired runner, Cecil? I may have read that differently, but I was sure our original play description had the runner slowing before the out, so I saw no need to make that point.
1) I didn't add that point for you, as I always assume there are some newbies reading.
2) To me, the OP sequence "1B tags the white base ... before the B/R touches ... The B/R slows down" was unclear about which happened first.
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
1) I didn't add that point for you, as I always assume there are some newbies reading.
2) To me, the OP sequence "1B tags the white base ... before the B/R touches ... The B/R slows down" was unclear about which happened first.
But the OP also stated "on a close play," which would have me believing that if the B/R hadn't slowed down she would have probably beaten the play by F3. Which brings us back to Steve's original post.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
But the OP also stated "on a close play," which would have me believing that if the B/R hadn't slowed down she would have probably beaten the play by F3. Which brings us back to Steve's original post.
Unless she slowed down after the "close play".

I guess the OP could clarify the OP, but then we would have to find another.
I'm just making the point that the effect on the runner only matters if she isn't already out when she slows or otherwise alters. If she was past the base or already out and then slowed down because of F4, it's not OBS.
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

You guys are funny but it's still vivid in my mind - she slowed down right before the 1B stomped the white base. I believe she would have been safe, and I should have called the obstruction.
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastpitch
You guys are funny but it's still vivid in my mind - she slowed down right before the 1B stomped the white base. I believe she would have been safe, and I should have called the obstruction.
MIke,
That's about what I thought you meant in your original post. Now that yo're sure what the call should have been, how will you handle this the next time?
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

having coached 10 years I usually know what is right upon reflection or can ask in this forum thanks to you guys, it's doing it as it happens that is the challenge, i never thought it would be easy and hopefully I will get it right the next time - did 4 games the next day to complete the 10U bracket for the tournament though no similiar play
Old Tue Oct 31, 2006, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

What the heck was 2B doing over there anyways? Sounds like a coaching error to me. I personally can't think of an instance where the second baseman (person) would be that close to 1B to cover the bag.
Old Tue Oct 31, 2006, 07:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDblue
What the heck was 2B doing over there anyways? Sounds like a coaching error to me. I personally can't think of an instance where the second baseman (person) would be that close to 1B to cover the bag.
That is, or was, a standard mechanic on a ball to F3.
Old Tue Oct 31, 2006, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastpitch
And of course, I agree now, with the sequence clear.
Old Tue Oct 31, 2006, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
That is, or was, a standard mechanic on a ball to F3.
What planet are you on? F4 covering 1B on a play in the infield? Don't think so, that's F1's job. Even a pop into shallow right field, F1 should be covering 1B if F3 is fielding the ball.

I apologize for hijacking this thread.
Old Tue Oct 31, 2006, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDblue
What planet are you on? F4 covering 1B on a play in the infield? Don't think so, that's F1's job. Even a pop into shallow right field, F1 should be covering 1B if F3 is fielding the ball.

I apologize for hijacking this thread.
I'll take you on here. F4 is absolutley the player to cover 1B. Starts with standard bunt coverage and builds from there.

F1 is at least 42 feet away from 1B (half the distance of the 84 feet between 1B and 3B) and has been taught to assume a fielding position after finishing the delivery.

F4's job on a ground ball to F3 is to back up the play in case it gets by F3 and then on to 1B to cover.

Standard positioning of F4 is about 30 feet from 1B, and while F1 is stationary, F4 is moving towards the ball on contact. This puts F4 at least 20 feet closer to 1B than F1.

There is no way in softball for F1 to get to 1B ahead of F4. I'll bet you a steak dinner on this and I like eating steak on other people's money.

The only catch is that the steak must come from planet Earth.