The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 20, 2002, 10:57am
certified Hot Mom tester

Unhappy

Our very own Drake was in Portland last night to work the WNBA game between Houston and Portland. The Fire won, mostly because virtually only two players on Houston took almost all their shots. They accounted for 44 of the teams 60 points, and Portland won by 10.

Anyway, I was unable to attend due to a prior commitment. Drake had asked me to tape it for him if it was on TV, and it was, but I couldn't tape it. Here's why:

The Fire, like the Blazers and Seahawks, are owned by Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen. Allen has started his own cable sports channel called ASCN. He has not been able to work out an arrangement with the main cable company in the Portland metro area, AT&T Broadband, so his channel is only carried on a few small outlying cable feeds.

Sorry, Drake. I would have liked to have seen you work, even if it was only on tape. I'm sure you did your usual outstanding job.
Old Sat Jul 20, 2002, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
That is similar to the situation in NYC this winter when the Yankees set up the "YES" network. It's the same sort of thing. YES carries about 120 of the Yankees games this year, but couldn't work out an agreement with the major cable company until about a week or so before the beginning of the regular season. Apparently, satellite system subscriptions skyrocketed b/c people were worried, they wouldn't be able to get it on cable. I'm sure Dan would be able to provide more details if anybody cares.

Oh and speaking of the Yankees, tough night for Posada, huh? I'm sooooooo sad Go Pedro!!

Chuck
Old Sat Jul 20, 2002, 12:05pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Oh and speaking of the Yankees, tough night for Posada, huh? I'm sooooooo sad Go Pedro!!
Chucky,Chucky,Chucky!! Your gloating really needs work.That's not nearly enough to pi$$ us off.Can we offer you free lessons?
Old Sat Jul 20, 2002, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Your gloating really needs work.That's not nearly enough to pi$$ us off.
I'm not trying to upset anyone. I was merely pointing out the duality of Pedro's outstanding 9 strike-out outting and Jorge's 4 strike-out, error-marred night. Enjoy this afternoon's affair!!

Chuck
Old Sat Jul 20, 2002, 01:11pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
[/B]
I'm not trying to upset anyone.[/B][/QUOTE]Never thought you were,Chuck.Just nice to have a little fun sometimes.Works both ways,too!
Me enjoy this afternoon's game?Got my 3 year old grand-daughter over for the day.Got 3 tv's in the house,all on full satellite.I want to watch the ballgame.She wants to watch Harry Potter,but only with me.Excuse me,but I have to get back to Harry freaking Potter now!
Old Sat Jul 20, 2002, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That is similar to the situation in NYC this winter when the Yankees set up the "YES" network. It's the same sort of thing. YES carries about 120 of the Yankees games this year, but couldn't work out an agreement with the major cable company until about a week or so before the beginning of the regular season. Apparently, satellite system subscriptions skyrocketed b/c people were worried, they wouldn't be able to get it on cable. I'm sure Dan would be able to provide more details if anybody cares.

Chuck
Chuck, I can't believe that every single cable system in the entire world doesn't carry anything but the Yankees games. Yankees by 1 in the 11th today.
Old Sat Jul 20, 2002, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
Yankees by 1 in the 11th today.
Yeah, but it was a great game. Mirabelli showed himself to be the weak link, unfortunately for the Sox. 0-2 with the bases loaded. Ouch. And what's up with Rivera? You think Torre did as bad a job in the 8th as the announcers were saying? He certainly seemed to be scrambling, instead of carrying out a plan. We'll getcha tomorrow.

Chuck
Old Sun Jul 21, 2002, 03:09am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, but it was a great game.
Yup,it was...after Harry Freaking Potter died!
Old Sun Jul 21, 2002, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
it was a great game.
Yup,it was...after Harry Freaking Potter died!
I saw that movie, but I don't remember the part where he dies
Old Sun Jul 21, 2002, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, but it was a great game. Mirabelli showed himself to be the weak link, unfortunately for the Sox. 0-2 with the bases loaded. Ouch. And what's up with Rivera? You think Torre did as bad a job in the 8th as the announcers were saying? He certainly seemed to be scrambling, instead of carrying out a plan. We'll getcha tomorrow.

Chuck
Too bad, lost again. Can you say "4 game lead"? Yankees seem to love those 1 run games -- don't know why.
Old Sun Jul 21, 2002, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:

Chuck
Huh? Me? Did someone mention the Yankees/Sox series this
weekend? Geeze, I've been soooo busy I just didn't catch
any of the games. Maybe Chuck will bring us up to date
on Sat & Sun games? Anyway...Cablevision wants about $30M
per year from YES to broadcast their content. Yes said no, so if you get Cablevision you don't get the Yankees. I get
Time-Warner, so I get Yes, but I was too busy to catch any
games this weekend, maybe Chuck will let me know what
happened?

BTW, Yes sucks. It's Yankee games, repeat of Yankee games,
Yankee classic games, repeats of Yankee classic games,
interviews of formet Yankees, repeats of interviews of former Yankees...

Old Sun Jul 21, 2002, 10:14pm
Esteemed Participant

Ha...in other words, this YES system is, basically, as close to hell on earth as we will ever come, right???
Old Mon Jul 22, 2002, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Ha...in other words, this YES system is, basically, as close to hell on earth as we will ever come, right???
LOL. They do replay the '78 playoff game vs the Red Sox
every now & then, kinda makes it all worth it.
Old Thu Jul 25, 2002, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
No, "hell on earth" is being a Red Sox and/or Cubs fan.