The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 02, 2006, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
And I still feel that way. But Steve raised the important issue of selling the call.

If you were umpiring and had someone like me coaching, and this call was made, we would end up in front of the protest committee. My argument would be simply the exact wording of the rules. Not saying that I would win, but there would have to be some serious tap dancing.

hmm.. so the real answer is obvious, since either INT ruling (OBS is not a valid ruling IMO) could get you dragged before a protest.

If at all possible, rule in the manner that favors the team that will probably lose the game.

Old Fri Nov 03, 2006, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
That is not a real umpire. This is a show that one can see at any number of minor league ballparks across American. Actor dressed as an umpire dances with mascot, in Frisco said mascot would be Deuce the Prairie Dog, which is where I have seen this stunt performed before.
I've seen real umpires dancing with the mascot in Single A ball. Okay, maybe they weren't real umpires, but they stayed on the field near the 1B line when pitches were being thrown.
Old Sun Nov 26, 2006, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

I don't recall seeing either of these rules (definitions) cited in this long, but interesting thread.

FAIR BALL.
...Detached equipment discarded by the offense or defense over fair terrritory becomes part of the ground and has no effect in determining fair/foul status when a batted ball initiates contact with theh equipment (as long as it was not an intentional act by the player when contacting the ball.)...

Since there is a referrence to fair/foul status in this, and there is a referrence to intent, would there be a potential interpretation from this perspective?

FOUL BALL.
D. While over foul territory, a runner interferes with a defensive player attempting to field a batted ball.

a.) Does "runner" include "batter-runner"?

b.) Would "R or B-R deliberatley kicking the ball while over foul teritory" constitue interfering with a defensive player attempting to field a batted ball? INT?

Old Mon Nov 27, 2006, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

FOUL BALL. [a batted ball that . . .]
D. While over foul territory, a runner interferes with a defensive player attempting to field a batted ball.

a.) Does "runner" include "batter-runner"?

b.) Would "R or B-R deliberatley kicking the ball while over foul teritory" constitue interfering with a defensive player attempting to field a batted ball? INT?

Good point. It looks as if the ball rolling fair after the interference is irrelevant.

I would say that runner does include batter-runner.

I think we decided that in ASA, it is not interference if a BR or runner intentionally kicks a foul ball, even if the ball had a chance to become fair. This is contrary to NCAA, which like OBR specifically prohibits such action. I don't know about FED.
Old Mon Nov 27, 2006, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

If a batter-runner is not intended as a subset of runner, then BR is not out for running violations not enumerated in 8.2. While 8.2-B includes "if legally put out prior to reaching first baes", it doesn't spell out "out of the basepath to avoid a tag" without regard to the running lane, or whether being tagged or even if the ball beats the BR to first base applies.

It is my opinion that all batter-runners are runners, too; just a separate class with added rules and exceptions; if not an exception, the included rules apply.