The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Tue Oct 10, 2006, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Partner question!

How would you handle a situation like this?

I had a partner this weekend who seemed to be baiting players and coaches so that he could toss them. First time it happened, he called a mid shin high strike that the batter apparently turned and looked incredulously at him. Next thing I know she is DQ'ed. After that inning was over, I asked what happened. He stated that she turned and looked at him, so he asked her if she had a problem with the strike zone. Apparently she replied, "with that one, yes." So...he benched her.

Trouble is, after one inning, he allowed her back into the game. I told him that there was nothing in the rules to support this, and that he was opening himself up to a protest from the offended team. He stated that he was his decision, so he was going to stand by it. He felt the player just needed a cooling off period.

Then in another game, he walked over to the dugout of the defensive team and gets into an argument with the coach, apparently over some comment he overheard him make to his assistant coaches. During this argument, as I am coming in the infield to make sure nothing gets out of hand, I over hear my partner keep saying things along the lines of, "if you want to stay in this ballgame just keep your mouth shut, " and " you do want to stay in this game, don't you?"

I just felt this behavior was unprofessional, and probably, under ordinary circumstances would have mentioned it to the UIC. So now you are probably wondering why I didn't mention it to the UIC. Well...that's because this partner was the UIC filling in a couple of missing spots where other umpires failed to show.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.