The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 24, 2003, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

This was posted on that troll board that I know many of you avoid, but I though it was interesting & so I've copied it...

Quote:
Posted by BillyBlue on McGriffs
I submitted this to Merle Butler and I have an answer, but I thought I would start a thread and see where it leads. This happened in a men's league fastpitch game about three weeks ago.

No stikes on the batter. Right handed batter bunts ball and starts to move towards first base. The batter's right foot is still completely in the batter's box. The left foot and leg are out of the batter's box and in fair territory. The ball bounces up and hits the batter on the left leg just above the ankle in fair territory.

What do you have?
Obviously, I don't have Merle's response, so I can't provide that unless BillyBlue posts it.
Old Wed Sep 24, 2003, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

DEAD BALL!!! Foot still in batters box when ball hits batter.Foul ball,the count is now 3 balls 1 strike.Batter must be completely out of the batters box when batted ball hits him/her to be called out.
Jeff

[Edited by mo99 on Sep 24th, 2003 at 04:13 PM]
Old Wed Sep 24, 2003, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
...just above the ankle in fair territory.
Is above the knee foul territory?

As to the question, I'm thinking that once the batter comes out of his batting stance and starts running, he is now in jepordy. I have no idea of what rule might back me up on this, yet it just seems the "right" thing to do. It would probably depend on where the ball was, too, had it gone out of the batter's box, or still in or over it.

Either way, very good thought provoking question.
Old Wed Sep 24, 2003, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mo99
DEAD BALL!!! Foot still in batters box when ball hits batter.Foul ball,the count is now 3 balls 1 strike.Batter must be completely out of the batters box when batted ball hits him/her to be called out.
Jeff

[Edited by mo99 on Sep 24th, 2003 at 04:13 PM]
Speaking ASA

Jeff,

Can you cite the rule you are basing this upon? I can find no such qualification.

ASA Rule 8.3.F supports an out call in this instance as does a comment under Dead Ball Situations-Ball Off Batter's Foot on page 221 of the 2003 rule book.
"If the batter, after hitting the ball into fair territory, takes a step out of the batter's box and then comes in contact with the ball, the batter is out."

Old Wed Sep 24, 2003, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Cool 41 outs to go

I have an out for a batted ball one or both feet must be out of the batters box. Dont see why it would be different on being hit with a ball. One foot completly out I've got an out

JMO

Don
Old Thu Sep 25, 2003, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

I think that you can draw a corollary here from “ball hits batter” and “ball hits bat second time.” POE23 (Hitting the ball a second time) states “If an entire foot of the batter is completely outside the batter’s box, he is out.”

WMB
Old Thu Sep 25, 2003, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WestMichBlue
I think that you can draw a corollary here from “ball hits batter” and “ball hits bat second time.” POE23 (Hitting the ball a second time) states “If an entire foot of the batter is completely outside the batter’s box, he is out.”

WMB
Not necessary to draw from any other rule. As noted above, it is specifically stated in the rule book that this is an out.

Old Thu Sep 25, 2003, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

Mike: I retract my prior post.In my haste to answer ,I failed to thoroughly read the question.Yes,if the left foot is out of the box and is on the ground prior to the ball contacting the batter,we have a dead ball and the batter is out.My mistake.
Jeff
Old Fri Sep 26, 2003, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

This batter must be super fast !. He bunted the ball while in the box then somehow got his left foot on the ground in time for him to get hit with it as it bounced up from the ground.
I think he was probably out of the box when he hit the ball.
So there's an out
Old Fri Sep 26, 2003, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
ditto

Quote:
Originally posted by chuck chopper
This batter must be super fast !. He bunted the ball while in the box then somehow got his left foot on the ground in time for him to get hit with it as it bounced up from the ground.
I think he was probably out of the box when he hit the ball.
So there's an out
See IM Sep 25th, 2003 10:33 AM