The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 15, 2006, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to AlabamaBlue
LL Softball on ESPN, MI vs TX

What was up on that play at 2nd in the bottom of the first? U2 was completely out of it. He got the call right, but man did he look like a fool!
Old Tue Aug 15, 2006, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaBlue
What was up on that play at 2nd in the bottom of the first? U2 was completely out of it. He got the call right, but man did he look like a fool!

Didn't see it. Started watching in about the bottom of second, listening really. Enlighten us on what happened.
Old Wed Aug 16, 2006, 07:25am
Official Forum Member

R1 on 1st, BR hits a fly ball to right-center. F8 and F9 converge and drop the ball after some contact. BR tries for 2nd, the cutoff missed the relay throw, but it went straight to 2nd base and F6 applied the tag. U2 never moved from the time the ball was hit, didn't make a call, nothing. Just standing there in his shades looking cool. Finally a good 45 seconds or so after the play he makes an out call.
Old Thu Aug 17, 2006, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

LL World Series

You peeked my interest, so I went back and watched that play (Had it TIVO'ed). With the benefit of many replays, it looks like the 2nd base ump went out into the outfield to make the call on the catch. If this was the case shouldn't the 1st base ump have made the call at second under the 3 man system?
By the way, I agree, the very long delay before the call looked unprofessional.
Old Thu Aug 17, 2006, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsig
You peeked my interest, so I went back and watched that play (Had it TIVO'ed). With the benefit of many replays, it looks like the 2nd base ump went out into the outfield to make the call on the catch. If this was the case shouldn't the 1st base ump have made the call at second under the 3 man system?
By the way, I agree, the very long delay before the call looked unprofessional.
6 umps ...
Old Thu Aug 17, 2006, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Which game was it..East vs. Central ? That there was a play at second, U2 is behind second, and calls the runner out who was on second, even though she shoulda been safe as the feilders foot was blocking the runners foot from touching the base? (Championship)
Old Thu Aug 17, 2006, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLPA13UmpDan
Which game was it..East vs. Central ? That there was a play at second, U2 is behind second, and calls the runner out who was on second, even though she shoulda been safe as the feilders foot was blocking the runners foot from touching the base? (Championship)
That was one of the worst calls I have ever seen. That girl was on the bag for several seconds before the ball even reached 2B and the ump still called her out. I really could have cared less who won but it seemed the umpiring crew were leaning towards the MI team. There were some horrible calls throughout the game including the play at 1B just prior to the lousy call at 2B. The blue at the dish wasn't doing much better with his ball/strike calls. His zone was everywhere.

Last edited by NDblue; Thu Aug 17, 2006 at 11:08pm.
Old Thu Aug 17, 2006, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah. That play reminds me of an old Playstation game called VR 97' Baseball I couldnt belive it. After the play, I thought sure when the manager came out, there was gunna be some dirt flying
Old Fri Aug 18, 2006, 01:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLPA13UmpDan
After the play, I thought sure when the manager came out, there was gunna be some dirt flying
If I were the manager, I would have been ejected for a multitude of infractions. Crappy calls like that are uncalled for and should never happen at that level of ball. Granted, this is Little League but damn, it's the LL World Series! These kids are some pretty good ball players and they deserve some pretty good umpires.
Old Fri Aug 18, 2006, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

We must be talking about different plays, Dan and ND. In the play I saw the ball beat the runner and the tag was made cleanly, it just looked like the U wasn't paying attention and didn't realize a play had been made. Also, the one I saw the manager didn't come out to argue. Were there 2 "bad" calls made by this same umpire in one game?
Old Fri Aug 18, 2006, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Is this the same guy who, standing in the B, watched balls to the outfield over his shoulder and never moved into any other position even when there was a possible call at 2B?
Old Fri Aug 18, 2006, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Alabama,

We're talking about the championship game between MI and NJ so yes, it was a different game. Sorry for the confusion.
Old Fri Aug 18, 2006, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Is this the same guy who, standing in the B, watched balls to the outfield over his shoulder and never moved into any other position even when there was a possible call at 2B?
I think so, the one who made JL look quick. But as I remember from years ago and a few recent observations, LL umpires are generally amateurs with no training.
Old Fri Aug 18, 2006, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Yeah it might be i dont know. I never seem him come in, I know when i do second, any ball to the outfeild im in, where im supposed to be
Old Sat Aug 19, 2006, 01:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
I think so, the one who made JL look quick. But as I remember from years ago and a few recent observations, LL umpires are generally amateurs with no training.
WOW, now THAT'S a generalization if I've ever heard one. I've had tons of training (not that it's done me any good) and I do LL as well as NF and NCAA. I know of probably a dozen college umpires that volunteer for LL as well as literally every NF umpire in our local board! In 2004 I did a LL Regional and many of those umpires did other levels of umpiring as well.

I had a boss that used to say, "All generalizations, including this one, are false."

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.