The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 31, 2002, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Did anyone else see what happened on ESPN? Tim Duncan was upset about a call and got a T, then the official gave him a stop sign to prevent the 2nd. His teammate, Stephen Jackson, SLAPPED AWAY THE STOP SIGN. One of the craziest things I have ever seen. He was promptly ejected. Would you have just given him a T for light contact or is that an automatic ejection (according to NFHS)? I think the ejection was certainly justified but of course the ESPN announcers did not.
Old Tue Dec 31, 2002, 10:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Roll of the dice.

When it is time to go, it is time to go. Ejection is in order.

Peace
Old Tue Dec 31, 2002, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
Quote:
Originally posted by Cornellref
Did anyone else see what happened on ESPN? Tim Duncan was upset about a call and got a T, then the official gave him a stop sign to prevent the 2nd. His teammate, Stephen Jackson, SLAPPED AWAY THE STOP SIGN. One of the craziest things I have ever seen. He was promptly ejected. Would you have just given him a T for light contact or is that an automatic ejection (according to NFHS)? I think the ejection was certainly justified but of course the ESPN announcers did not.
That would be the easiest ejection ever. A player slapping the official's hand? By the way, what is "light" contact? Any contact or an attempt to contact is way over the top. Whack! Gone.
Old Tue Dec 31, 2002, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

WHACK! Get out!

My guess is there will also be a suspension.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Jan 01, 2003, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

This would be the easiest ejection ever - under any set of playing rules.

BTW, maybe someone should send this excerpt of the NBA rules to those ESPN announcers:

12.A.V.
d. A technical foul shall be assessed for unsportsmanlike tactics such as:
(1) Disrespectfully addressing an official
(2) Physically contacting an official
k. A technical foul, unsportsmanlike act or flagrant foul must be called for a par-ticipant to be ejected. A player, coach or trainer may be ejected for:
(2) Any unsportsmanlike conduct where a technical foul is assessed

And, from the comments on the rules:
Any player or coach guilty of intentional physical contact with an official shall automatically be suspended without pay for one game. A fine and/or longer period of suspension will result if circumstances so dictate.
Old Wed Jan 01, 2003, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to firedoc
This is an absolute no-brainer at any level of play. Contact with an official, whether it be "light" or not would be an immediate flagrant "T" and the offender is immediately headed to the bench for the duration.
Old Thu Jan 02, 2003, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

The NBA

NBA is bad for your health. Don't you think a lot of the high school coaches and players pick up bad habits from this league?
Old Thu Jan 02, 2003, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CYO Butch
I actually had that game tuned in for about 2 minutes and saw the episode. At first the announcers thought the 2nd T had been called on Duncan. My guess is that since they didn't get their call right, they tried to cover themselves by deriding the call made by the refs.

Nobody ever said that announcers had to be bright. And please, no comments about how bright coaches are.
Old Thu Jan 02, 2003, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CYO Butch
At first the announcers thought the 2nd T had been called on Duncan. My guess is that since they didn't get their call right, they tried to cover themselves by deriding the call made by the refs.

Think you're reaching for that explanation for their stupidity. But it scares me that anyone who knows anything about any sport would think that slapping a ref should not be an ejection . . .
Old Fri Jan 03, 2003, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

An observation as it relates to announcers. First it seems as though in my opinion most of them have absolutely no idea what they are talking out when it comes to rules interpretation and are far to quick to single out the refs as the ones who errd. Second I wonder if they are told to do this as it makes for good TV??? (all the while hurting our appearance/status in the public eye) Here in minnesota the HS state footbal finals are broadcast live on state wide TV. Two years ago there were several inferences to officials and how (erroneous I must add)they screwed up calls. This year they put a state clinician in the booth. He gave interpretations... problem solved. Maybe announcers should have to take a class on the sport they call before they in fact call it.
Old Fri Jan 03, 2003, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Re: The NBA

Quote:
Originally posted by John Schaefferkoetter
NBA is bad for your health. Don't you think a lot of the high school coaches and players pick up bad habits from this league?

Couldn't agree with you more. As a coach, I have strictly forbidden any of my players from watching NBA games during our season. All they do is pick up horrible habits that don't apply to the high school game.