The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 14, 2004, 12:25am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Did anyone see the segment on NBA officials. I lot if interesting stuff. I just saw it on ESPN.
Old Sat Feb 14, 2004, 02:13am
Official Forum Member

Missed it, wish I could hve seen it. I will have to watch for a repeat.
Old Sat Feb 14, 2004, 09:11am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Thumbs up

Saw it on ESPN too, but was at the bar with some ref friends. We didn't hear any audio, but to watch some of the video was cool. Some old school Bavetta, Hue Hollins, Crawford with some hair. I think I saw Mike Mathis too. It was fun. The mechanics were crazy, compared to what we do now. One of the closest NBA calls I've ever seen was early 90's Mathis, as L on a last-nanosecond shot. Super slo-mo reply showed he got the call right.
Old Sat Feb 14, 2004, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Watched a little bit of it. One of the things they were talking about was how to get better communication between the refs and the players and coaches. The way it sounded, players and coaches are pretty much not allowed to have any contact with officials except during the game. George Karl was saying that it didn't used to be that way and that it made for a better relationship between everyone. They also mentioned that player and coaches would like to know when officials are being reprimanded. I guess as of now it is done behind closed doors and no one is informed of it.

They also showed a little about how they evaluate the officials and showed some tape where an official got into good position and made a good call, and another where an official made the wrong call at first and then made the correct call after one of the coaches said something to him. The guy who does the evaluating also said "bottom line we want to get the call right."

[Edited by gsf23 on Feb 14th, 2004 at 04:19 PM]