The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 12, 2006, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldgriff
We have always played it that there would only be 2 outs in the inning essentially starting with 1 out also. A TD is stating that there are no outs to start the inning.

Personally I dont care one way or the other, just curious.
I would care.
If the purpose is to break the tie by making scoring easier, why in the world would anyone want to start with an out?
Old Wed Jul 12, 2006, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to coachsara Send a message via Yahoo to coachsara
I called...

tourney director modified the tie breaker for 10-under slow pitch to 2 outs, runner on second, and a 3-2 count on the batter.

It only went 1 inning but talk about pressure on these youngsters...
Old Wed Jul 12, 2006, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

This is going to end the game more quickly? Giving a kid one pitch, and then having to change sides and repeat?
Old Wed Jul 12, 2006, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachsara
tourney director modified the tie breaker for 10-under slow pitch to 2 outs, runner on second, and a 3-2 count on the batter.

It only went 1 inning but talk about pressure on these youngsters...
Hmmm.... if the tournament is going to have a local tie breaker rule for 10U, it would be a lot more reasonable to start with the bases loaded and suspend the 10U baserunning restrictions. That would almost guarantee somebody scores 2 or 3 runs! All you need to have is they don't both score the same number of runs.
Old Wed Jul 12, 2006, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferMC
This is going to end the game more quickly? Giving a kid one pitch, and then having to change sides and repeat?
Not to mention that if they get the runner to 3rd, they can't get "steal" home.
Old Wed Apr 02, 2008, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Last Batted Out

Last night was the first time I have had to deal with using the International tiebreaker rule with me actually being part of the game instead of just spectating. I was umpiring in the field.
I know that most on here are at hight schol level or above and this is just my second year at rec ball. Dizzy Dean to be more specific.
Our rule says that the last batted out goes to second. I have read on here that the player batting last in the order in the tie breaking inning goes to second, but I have a hard time seeing the connection between these two references.
Last night we had a runner on first with two out. The BR hits one deep into the outfield and the runner that was on first got thrown out going into third for the last out.
The visiting team's coach, and league president, said that it is the last person who batted is who goes to second to start the tiebreaker, however, he was not put out.
It seems to me that the term "last batted out" would refer to the player who made the last out and who actually batted. In my reasoning, this term is used to keep a speedy coutesy runner who made the last out to go to second, thus keeping a speedster from starting at second base. In this case it would go to the player who made the second out providing that they actually did bat.
I am just looking for any clarification on this term that I can find.
Thank you for your time.
Old Wed Apr 02, 2008, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregM
Last night was the first time I have had to deal with using the International tiebreaker rule with me actually being part of the game instead of just spectating. I was umpiring in the field.
I know that most on here are at hight schol level or above and this is just my second year at rec ball. Dizzy Dean to be more specific.
Our rule says that the last batted out goes to second. I have read on here that the player batting last in the order in the tie breaking inning goes to second, but I have a hard time seeing the connection between these two references.
Last night we had a runner on first with two out. The BR hits one deep into the outfield and the runner that was on first got thrown out going into third for the last out.
The visiting team's coach, and league president, said that it is the last person who batted is who goes to second to start the tiebreaker, however, he was not put out.
It seems to me that the term "last batted out" would refer to the player who made the last out and who actually batted. In my reasoning, this term is used to keep a speedy coutesy runner who made the last out to go to second, thus keeping a speedster from starting at second base. In this case it would go to the player who made the second out providing that they actually did bat.
I am just looking for any clarification on this term that I can find.
Thank you for your time.
Greg, welcome to the boards. To use the phrase, "the batter scheduled to bat last in this inning" is just a way to keep it simple about who goes to second at the start of ITB play. If you say something like "the last person batting last inning" or "the last out of last inning," you could potentially place the wrong person by rule on the base. I suggest that, to keep it clear, you start thinking and saying "the batter scheduled to bat last this inning" so that you are always assured of having the correct person on base. You are correct about the reasoning of the rule, to prevent "special" runners from always assuming that position.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Apr 02, 2008, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
I posted this three years ago. No response then, don't expect one now.

"I've been trying to figure out if we should stop criticizing the coaches and think about the league and tournament committees, whoever selects or accepts the coaches and should provide some training. Maybe even parents."

I agree with your thoughts in competitive leagues, and travel type ball. But having been involved in low level rec league for 10 years, I know it comes down to having someone who is decicated enough to leave work early, spend countless hours running practices, figuring our schedules call kids, trying to figure out who is going to be at the game, and what to do when only 4 show up (practice and or games) that it ends up being someone who is not that great at softball. From my expierence you end up with four different classes, nice people, softball smart people that can't teach, people who are great with kids but don't know softball, then that 'perfect' catagory that is a mix of all of the above.

And as a league official (UIC of small rec league) we have done all we can to teach, educate and inform coaches. We also attempt to find the best skilled coaches, and then try to mix the more knowledgable coaches up between the teams. Bottom line is sometimes it just don't work and you have a team that is run by the nice people....and they do need some help on rules, how to pitch, how to field, how to bat........etc. Again I am speaking of rec league, cost $50 to play including your shirt and a trophy for every kid at the end.....now if you are really paying to play (travel ball) you should expect someone to know what they are doing and know the rules of the game.
Old Wed Apr 02, 2008, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you Scott for clearing that up for me....Greg
Old Wed Apr 02, 2008, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
...the title of the rule is "TIE-BREAKER RULE" (no "International"). Maybe ASA inherited the rule from ISF, I dunno.

But ITB rolls off the tongue so much easier than TBR. Go ahead, try it!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Apr 02, 2008, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
Slow reader?
Old Wed Apr 02, 2008, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
True, but TBR sounds very similar to PBR and PBR is pretty much why we want the game to be over!

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Wed Apr 02, 2008, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue
True, but TBR sounds very similar to PBR and PBR is pretty much why we want the game to be over!
PBR? You set your sights pretty low, man. Get some good beer! Leinenkugel's or Sprecher might be near you.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Wed Apr 02, 2008, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
PBR? You set your sights pretty low, man. Get some good beer! Leinenkugel's or Sprecher might be near you.
But Lienies sounds like hin... nevermind...

Besides, the best beer around here is Summit Pale Ale. Not that cheesehead Lienies.
Old Wed Apr 02, 2008, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
I have pretty low standards. Ice cold, free are basically the two requirements I'm looking to satisfy.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"