The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 17, 2004, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

Youth game.

Team snapped the ball to QB who pitches back to a back who then kicks the ball. After the ball is kicked and before the kicker regains his balance a defender runs into him.

Running into the kicker.

No, so says youth coach. You can't have running into the kicker because they pitched the ball backwards.

Our kids deserve better.
Old Sun Oct 17, 2004, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

Oh well! Just gotta learn to live with them!
Old Sun Oct 17, 2004, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Here's one, Ed.

Quarterback pitches back to halfback. Halfback passes to tight end. A good "two steps" later he is nailed by a defensive back.

Roughing the passer.

"He ain't the quarterback, ref, he's the halfback. You can't call that roughing the quarterback."

I didn't. It's roughing the passer.

"Same thing, you can't call that, he ain't a passer, he's a halfback."

Lord, save me.

Old Mon Oct 18, 2004, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

I try to make allowances and hope they'll forgive me my trespasses, too. We're all trying to learn and get better at that level.

Though I had a high school freshman coach ask me if a false start penalty on his opponent was a loss of down penalty.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Tue Oct 19, 2004, 12:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OverAndBack
I try to make allowances and hope they'll forgive me my trespasses, too. We're all trying to learn and get better at that level.

Though I had a high school freshman coach ask me if a false start penalty on his opponent was a loss of down penalty.
I had a frosh assistant coach holler at me this past week because I didn't call an ineligible receiver penalty.

Since there was not a tight end covering the tackle on my side, the tackle couldn't play the 'end position' since he wasn't wearing an eligible number. No eligible number means he can't play at the end position.

"Please keep off the chain Coach."
Old Tue Oct 19, 2004, 01:38am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I too recently had a roughing the passer on a broken convert attempt. The snap was very high and the holder had to stand up and they ended up trying for 2.

The holder was roughed as he passed the ball.

I flagged it and the coach went ape. He reminded me that he was the holder and not the QB.

I reminded him that he's not the holder if there was no kick.

After the convert re-attemp, I also reminded him that it's called "roughing the passer" and not "roughing the quarterback."

I saw his light go on. That was cool.
Old Tue Oct 19, 2004, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Wasn't there, but heard from my colleague that one of our varsity coaches asked the R during their visit before the game, "I get three time outs a half, right?"

His team isn't very good.
Old Tue Oct 19, 2004, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Heard an assistant coach last night yell to the head coach - "We have to review that - he was out of bounds!" Head coach had the presence of mind to reply, "Review it with WHAT, Chuck?"
Old Tue Oct 19, 2004, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
Heard an assistant coach last night yell to the head coach - "We have to review that - he was out of bounds!" Head coach had the presence of mind to reply, "Review it with WHAT, Chuck?"
I have a ready made answer for that assistant. Put my hands over my eyes in a shading position and say, "After further review, the play stands as called on the field!"

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!
Old Tue Oct 19, 2004, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Sometimes I think coaches just talk to the officials so they can be "heard", almost like getting brownie points or something. If only they knew how dumb they sound.
Old Wed Oct 20, 2004, 05:38am
Official Forum Member

Game this past week.

Pass play down the sideline, defender is 3 yards behind the receiver but sticks his arm up in hopes that the ball will hit it.

Assistant coach screams "I'm the secondary coach and I know that face guarding is a penalty"

I reply.. "I'm the Line Judge and I know when to call it!!"
Old Wed Oct 20, 2004, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Texoma_LJ
Game this past week.

Pass play down the sideline, defender is 3 yards behind the receiver but sticks his arm up in hopes that the ball will hit it.

Assistant coach screams "I'm the secondary coach and I know that face guarding is a penalty"

I reply.. "I'm the Line Judge and I know when to call it!!"
lol, that's a good one!
Old Wed Oct 20, 2004, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Had a coach that kept yelling about a false start on the QB for simulating the snap (when clearly he was not). He got louder and louder and louder. Still yelling on nearly every play in the 2nd half. Someone from HIS side of the stands yells - "Coach, the louder you yell that the dumber you sound.". He stopped.